I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday Reflections

I’m enjoying a quiet day today, with no reason whatsoever to leave the house and it is lovely! I’ve had a busy week -- fun, but busy. Well, that doesn’t include having to rebuild my blog site, but still, I found a lot of new things, learned a lot more about blogging, so it hasn’t been all bad. There were the usual Tai Chi classes, the Jump Start class as well as a children’s art class where my friend and I had kids from kindergarten to fifth grade. The class is after school, lasts an hour, and is not a mandatory class, but rather one for kids who are really interested in drawing/art. It was fascinating to see the whole group so fixed, intent on their individual projects! I’m going to really enjoy this one.

But today is a lazy, quiet day with just me and the dogs – we’re taking care of our neighbors’ dog while they are out of town, so I have lots of company. The sun may actually get out a little later and if it does then I’ll go down to the park to take some more pictures. I’ve developed a passionate relationship with the camera and I’m really enjoying finding all kinds of things to photograph. Fortunately, there has been no lack of wonderful subjects.

So, blogging has led to photography as well as getting back to writing. They both get the creative juices flowing and that has been very satisfying and fulfilling. I didn’t think I would ever really get back into writing as I had lectured to myself for some time about how pointless it was to continue to write "just because". But you know what? “just because” is the best reason of all for doing anything and particularly, if it brings you joy, fulfillment, satisfaction.

And that has been the lesson for the week. It can’t have been a bad week if you have experienced even one of those “light up” moments that leads you to discover even one of those stars you thought were out of “reach”. So, I offer you some of mine as well as a friend's contributions to helping spread the beauty!

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Lilly said...

"just because” is the best reason of all for doing anything and particularly, if it brings you joy, fulfillment, satisfaction".

What a great lesson for us all. As for your photography - it is picture postcard perfect - you have a real eye for it. Love the butter fly.

Darlene said...

As I'm sure you know, I share your love of photography. The photo of the ocean shore and of the butterfly were outstanding.

Blogging has been therpuetic for me and I understand what you are saying about writing. Keep up the good work.

Linda said...

Soar with your writing. You never know what's out there. Your photography is coming along nicely and now you know you can do whatever you need to to keep blogging. A good week indeed.

Unknown said...

Really great photos. I'm a hydrologist so I really admire the clouds. Your right about blogging: it forces you to wear many hats, and it is an inspirational endeavor.

Joyce said...

That's an encouraging attitude on writing and on life, Sylvia. :)

Kay said...

Sylvia, I've just looked through your blog and feel like I know you. Must be a teacher thing. I hope you don't mind my adding you to my blog list of people I'd like to visit.

Dianne said...

what a lovely day it sounds like

your photos are wonderful, especially the butterfly.

Arija said...

I'm having one of those days too, and enjoying every minute of it.
I no longer do things because I HAVE to, if it doesn't get done to-day, it may get done to-morrow. If there is no to-morrow then no one will care anyway!
Adore your seaside shot.

storyteller said...

I love how you’ve made ‘lemonade’ from lemons with regards to rebuilding your blog. I’ve found starting over sometimes has ‘perks’ but I’m reminded I’ve been meaning to figure out how to back my blog up but haven’t yet done so. Thanks for sharing your lovely spirit and the beautiful photos too. I’ve also enjoyed the ‘political food for thought’ though I tend to avoid commenting … just because.
Hugs and blessings,

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time