I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, November 23, 2009

That's My World -- Portland, OR


Time once again for the opportunity to share the beauty of your world with all of us, so I want to invite you to share the fun! My World is hosted by Klaus and the My World Team, Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy, Louise and myself! Click on the icon to sign up and play with us! Please do read and follow the instructions on the My World home page!



I've been taking another look at a number of places that have been "my world" over the years and today I'd like to take you to Portland, Oregon. I moved to Portland from Dallas, Texas in 1992 and immediately fell in love with the city and the northwest in general. I made up my mind that it was the only part of the country I wanted to live in -- I haven't changed my mind. I did move from Portland, but not the northwest. And as usual, since I rarely used a camera in those days, I've had to depend on Google and Wikipedia and they never disappoint me!



Portland started as a spot known as "the clearing," which was on the banks of the Willamette about halfway between Oregon City and Fort Vancouver. In 1843, William Overton saw great commercial potential for this land but lacked the funds required to file a land claim. He struck a bargain with his partner Asa Lovejoy of Boston, Massachusetts: for 25¢, Overton would share his claim to the 640 acre (2.6 km²) site. Overton later sold his half of the claim to Francis W. Pettygrove of Portland, Maine. Pettygrove and Lovejoy each wished to name the new city after his respective home town; this was decided with a coin toss, which Pettygrove won in a series of two out of three tosses. The coin used for this decision, now known as the Portland Penny, is on display in the headquarters of the Oregon Historical Society.

At the time of its incorporation on February 8, 1851 Portland had over 800 inhabitants, a steam sawmill, a log cabin hotel, and a newspaper, the Weekly Oregonian. By 1879, the population had grown to 17,500.[15] The city merged with Albina and East Portland in 1891 and with Linnton and St. Johns in 1915.

Skidmore Fountain in downtown Portland, a lovely place to enjoy a lunch or just people watch!



Portland's location, with access both to the Pacific Ocean via the Willamette and the Columbia rivers and to the agricultural Tualatin Valley via the "Great Plank Road" through a canyon in the West Hills (the route of current-day U.S. Route 26), gave it an advantage over nearby ports, and it grew quickly.] It remained the major port in the Pacific Northwest for much of the 19th century, until the 1890s, when Seattle's deep water harbor was connected to the rest of the mainland by rail, affording an inland route without the treacherous navigation of the Columbia River.

This boat, The Portland Spirit, is a great way to enjoy the scenery along the river. They have evening trips with music and dancing, they have day trips, good food and guaranteed fun!



And, of course, for sports fans there is the Rose Garden. There are also many concerts with singers and bands for a wonderful evenings entertainment.



Portland Museum of Art



Portland also has an excellent public transportation system that will get you anywhere you need to go! And that is one thing, in particular, that I really miss!



And Portland State University.



It's a great place to visit or to live!

51 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely city that I would like to visit some day.

chrome3d said...

I wouldn´t mind travelling around there with a bus and visit that museum. You made it look like the place to go!

Martha Z said...

Very interesting, I didn't know those details about Potrlands history. I've always driven right through, never lingered. Perhaps we should make it a destination.

jabblog said...

It looks very attractive - small wonder you enjoyed living there.

bobbie said...

A beautiful spot in your world. You make me long to travel again.

Great Grandma Lin said...

all I ever done is drive through portland on the freeway, looks like I should stop and look around.

Anonymous said...

I've never been there. I did drive past it one time just one the freeway. Looks like a wonderful city. Maybe someday I'll get to visit there :) Thanks for sharing this :)

Ebie said...

Lovely city and a great place to visit. You are a well traveled lady Ms. S.
Hmmm, interesting history too, 25 cents less than the cost of a can of soda today!
I'd like to visit the Rose Garden, for the NBA!

??? said...

I love the photo of the museum, the lighting is great!

Anonymous said...

What a LOVELY city Portland must be. I enjoyed the 'virtual' guided tour. Hope you're having a wonderful day ;-)
Hugs and blessings,

Carver said...

You have lived in so many interesting places. I enjoy both the photographs and narrative so much.

Maria Berg said...

Did I tell you that my almost half sister moved back to sweden this summer after living 5 or 7 years in Oregan.
It ok you late I know you will bee around.
I have something for you,

http://mariaberg-foto.blogspot.com/2009/11/award-from-me-to-you.html

/MB

Joe Todd said...

The Pacific Northwest is the one area of the country I haven't been. Maybe someday. At least I get to visit via the internet for now

Dianne said...

I would love to visit
the fountain photo reminds me of Central Park in the 60s

Janie said...

I've never been to Portland, but I've heard lots of good things about it. Interesting to learn some of the history and tour the sights with you!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that Portland is so beautiful! I can understand why you fell in love with it. Great captures!

SandyCarlson said...

You sure do show us some really beautiful places.

Rajesh said...

It is a beautiful place to stay in. The snaps are wonderful.

Unknown said...

Lovely city.I'm sure you enjoy living there & interesting history.
Thanks also for tour to my small world.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful place indeed.

Sistertex said...

I have never been to Portland, OR and would love to come there some day. It is on my list! Thanks so much for the wonderful tour.

Sally in WA said...

Now that we've got a train stop in Stanwood, I'm thinking a day trip to Portland is in my future!

Thanks for visiting. Gosh, I've missed seeing all the wonderful blogs and its so good to start catching back up again. :)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: I have always thought of Portland as a very clean city and your photos show that. I do hope your appointment went well.

Wolynski said...

I love the Northwest, especially the laid back people, but, oh, the rain and dampness. Loved Portland when I visited, but not the rain.

Japa said...

Great place to be! From a simple beginnings to what is now an important city in your state. Isn't it nice to appreciate and enjoy the fruits of labor of the people behind the cities of our respective worlds!

Beautiful photos too, that came with your engrossing narrative.

Linda Reeder said...

Portland is where we went to do BIG shopping when I was a girl, especially when Llyod Center opened.

Baruch said...

Great photos - such a lovely city and great info too

Anonymous said...

Looks very clean and bright!

dianasfaria.com said...

this really does look like a beautiful place to live Sylvia. Thanks for the tour!

Kay said...

In my life I have had many homes, this one is among them--still (although not physically)...mmmmm....so fond....

Lee Spangler said...

Thanks as usual for your kind thoughts and support. Portland is a nice city, clean and friendly,green but, lacks the awestruck feeling I get in Chicago,NYC, or any of the major cities with its grand buildings, museums, parks and dramatic skyline.

Lew said...

Beautiful city!

Irene said...

Sylvia, Great tour of Portland Oregon. Really appreciate it!!

Hazel said...

Portland Penny - such a cute origin. The place has come a long way. Thanks for the story and the beautiful shots.

Reader Wil said...

Portland is certainly a place worth while visiting! Thanks for the walk through your city, Sylvia!
Thanks for your kind comment on my blog! Have a nice day!

Maelka said...

You have a nice blog and I think it is nice to watch your pictures. I live far away from you, but this way I can see into your world. My knowledge of English is not very good, but I will try, however.

Annie said...

It does indeed seem a very interesting place Sylvia! Thankou!

And thank you for visiting my world and the Currawong today!

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

What a wonderful city. I've missed good public transportation for 29 years now!

Garden Lizard

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I've been through Portland but never stopped. It looks like a great place to visit.

ninja said...

This city clearly deserves more fame outside USA. Looks great.

XoXo said...

Oh wow this is a beautiful city...I love the city scape here Sylvia.

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos of your world. I love the one with the kids at the fountain. ;-)

Paz

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Lovely selection of pictures you chose to illustrate your 'insider knowledge' account of Portland, Sylvia. You've won me over! When can I come? It looks a really beautiful place.
Janice.

penny said...

I feel like I just took a mini vacation and it was all on your dime, Sylvia. Your photo trip was so enjoyable, thanks for the wonderful views of Portland.

Darlene said...

I really wish I could visit Portland, Oregon. Seattle is another place that I would love to see. Alas, I don't think I will ever make it so I deeply appreciate visiting through the photos.

B i r g i t t a said...

I would love to go there - enjoyed your photos very much :) Especially the ones with a great depth.
Have a nice week!

robin andrea said...

I've lived in around Portland (and Eugene). Oregon is a beautiful state, and Portland is a great city.

Rose said...

Thank you for this great review of Portland! You might remember that my youngest daughter moved there in August to attend grad school. I didn't get much chance to sightsee while I was there--too busy helping her set up her apartment--but I intend to do a lot more the next time I go visit her. Thanks for all the great tips on places to see! I did get a chance to go downtown via the Metro, though; I agree Portland has a wonderful public transportation system.

Anonymous said...

I've always enjoyed visits to Portland. It's a lovely city.

eileeninmd said...

Portland looks like a very nice city. Great photos.
I've never been to Oregon. It is on our list of places to go though. maybe someday.

Kay said...

Ahhhh... so this is what Portland looks like. Thanks for taking us on a tour. Loved it!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time