I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Why Not?


This one has been around for a while, but every time I read it I realize just how true it is and since there is another birthday coming up this summer, I thought it was a good reminder and one I'd like to share with you. I don't know who wrote it, but my very dear 87 year old friend here in Seattle sent it to me.

One day I had lunch with some friends. Jim, a tall, balding golfer type about 80 years old, came along with them---all in all, a pleasant bunch.

When the menus were presented, we ordered salads, sandwiches, and soups, except for Jim who said, "Ice Cream, please. Two scoops, chocolate.

I wasn't sure my ears heard right, and the others were aghast. "Along with heated apple pie," Jim added, completely unabashed.

We tried to act quite nonchalant, as if people did this all the time.. But when our orders were brought out, I didn't enjoy mine.

I couldn't take my eyes off Jim as his pie a-la-mode went down. The other guys couldn't believe it. They ate their lunches silently and grinned.

The next time I went out to eat, I called and invited Jim. I lunched on white meat tuna. He ordered a parfait. I smiled. He asked if he amused me I answered, "Yes, you do, but also you confuse me.

How come you order rich desserts, while I feel I must be sensible? He laughed and said "I'm tasting all that is Possible. I try to eat the food I need, and do the things I should. But life's so short, my friend, I hate missing out on something good.

This year I realized how old I was. (He grinned) I haven't been this old before."
So, before I die, I've got to try those things that for years I had ignored.
I haven't smelled all the flowers yet. There are too many trout streams I haven't fished. There's more fudge sundaes to wolf down and kites to be flown overhead.

There are too many golf courses I haven't played. I've not laughed at all the jokes. I've missed a lot of sporting events and potato chips and cokes.

I want to wade again in water and feel ocean spray on my face. I want to sit in a country church once more and thank God for His grace.

I want peanut butter every day spread on my morning toast. I want un-timed long distance calls to the folks I love the most.

I haven't cried at all the movies yet, or walked in the morning rain. I need to feel wind on my face. I want to be in love again.

So, if I choose to have dessert, instead of having dinner, then should I die before night fall, I'd say I died a winner, because I missed out on nothing. I filled my heart's desire. I had that final chocolate mousse before my life expired..

With that, I called the waitress over.. I've changed my mind, I said. I want what he is having, only add some more whipped cream!

Be mindful that happiness isn't based on possessions, power, or prestige, but on relationships with people we like, love and respect. Remember that while money talks,
CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM SINGS!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inspiring, thank you.
Eating is about the only joy I have left and the doctor says not to eat what I want.
I wonder, do I want to live longer without or have it and not live as long.
I don't know the answer yet.

Darlene said...

A friend who takes me to the grocery store commented, "I see what you buy at the grocery." This was in response to my complaining about my weight gain. I told him, "I will take my pleasure where I find it."

It isn't hard to figure out that I agree with the gentleman about eating desert instead of salad.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Very very true. My long gone step grandfather in his last few years had a big ole bowl of ice cream every afternoon and a couple of his beloved highballs before dinner for just the same reasons.

JTG (Misalyn) said...

I love this post Sylvia....very interesting. You made me smile and remember my mother. She's a lovely 64-year old woman and always complaining that she can't everything that she wants to.

Unknown said...

This is a very nice post Sylvia. Everything that man said was wise. When we are all of an age.. and there are things we have missed, think we must start trying do do the most of the time remaining to us.
Have a great day.
Costas

Martha Z said...

Good post, a reminder to smell the flowers. I would add, though, that it is important to think about which experieces matter to us and be selective, we can't have it all.

Annie Jeffries said...

Oh Sylvia. This is wonderful. I'm with him - give me peanut butter on toast every morning. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Very awe inspiring my friend. One just has to enjoy the day and with that my friend I hope you have a great day :)

Anonymous said...

I wish I were married to that man!!! What a great philosophy of life. I feel the same way he does.

abb said...

That was lovely. Glad you shared.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I like the spirit of it! Have you ever gone into a Health Food Store (for your calcium tablets for example) and noticed how unhappy most of the customers look? They are focused on their ailments and what they can't do. Nobody lives forever. You have to strike a balance between enjoying the moment and using a little bit of common sense!

dianasfaria.com said...

This is a person after my own heart!

George said...

I really like Jim's philosophy. It's hard to disagree with his point of view.

lv2scpbk said...

Love chocolate.

Jay said...

While money talks, chocolate ice cream sings! How true that is!! LOL!

bobbie said...

So true! I get disapproving looks from my kids many times because of my choices. But heck, I won't be here forever, will I?

Peggy said...

Sylvia;

I'm with the golfer, I'll take a hot fudge sundae with whipped cream and a few nuts.
It's funny, at my Moms' assisted living space, there are several who order at least two desserts and never eat their main meal.
I just laugh and say to myself, good for them! My Mom on the other hand is not amused.
I sure do like that we think alike, what a compliment for me!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

When my mom got up there in years she decided she could have a cinnamon roll or apple pie for dessert if she chose to do so. She said it was one of the benefits of being an little old lady.

Unknown said...

This is thought provoking.
How are you?Hope you are good?
I tagged you in my post, please read and do same, Thank you.

Linda Reeder said...

I think there is some ice cream singing my name!

Paula said...

What a thoughful and interesting post. I think I'm going to have to reconsider some of my so-called wise decisions.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time