I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Sunday, February 15, 2009

This Evenings Thoughts



If anger be the basis of our political activities, the excitement tends to become an end in itself, at the expense of the object to be achieved. Side issues then assume an exaggerated importance, and all gravity of thought and action is lost; such excitement is not an exercise of strength, but a display of weakness.
Tagore

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Buddha

And finally in light of the present financial crisis, it's interesting to read what Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.'

/\ Namaste
When there have been so many wise men from everywhere in the world for so many, many years who have written so eloquently on subjects that are as relevant today as they've ever been, why is it that ignorance and downright stupidity still flourish and even seems on the rise? I have no comments to make on these three quotes because they speak so clearly, so eloquently on their own.

I leave you with a field of tulips from Skagit Valley and another breathless look at Snoqualmi Falls.

May you all have a beautiful tomorrow.

3 comments:

magiceye said...

this is such a lovely, thought provoking post!! loved it!

Margie's Musings said...

It's because of greed. The rich cannot ever get enough.

Anonymous said...

Most of the history taught us has been so distorted. I've read what Thomas Jefferson has said about banks before but it wasn't in school. It was way later.

How to teach words of wisdom along with real historical events to children without boring them is the goal of a lot of younger teachers today. But getting by school board requirements is a whole other battle.

Hi. I'm here via 'the dharma bums'. Nice post.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time