I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Women Who Know Their Place ........ A point of view.

Barbara Walters, formerly of 20/20, did a story on gender roles in Kabul,
Afghanistan, several years before the Afghan conflict. She noted that
women customarily walked five paces behind their husbands.

She recently returned to Kabul and observed that women still walk behind
their husbands. Despite the overthrow of the oppressive Taliban regime,
the women are happy to maintain the old custom.

Ms. Walters approached one of the Afghani women and asked, 'Why do you
now seem happy with an old custom that you once tried so desperately to
change?'

The woman looked Ms. Walters straight in the eyes, and without
hesitation said, 'Land Mines.'

Moral of the story is (no matter what language you speak or where you go):

BEHIND EVERY MAN, THERE'S A SMART WOMAN.

14 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

smart women...

abb said...

I like the way those women think!

Susan at Stony River said...

Oh that's the best yet!! I love it---my good side is telling me that it shouldn't really be funny, but the rest of me is too busy rolling with laughter to care!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know where that story was going at first, but I did chuckle at the end!

Margie's Musings said...

Those women aren't dummies!

Unknown said...

Ouch...

George said...

I love it!!!
Thanks for visiting my site.

penny said...

Thanks for the chuckle, Sylvia. I love a smart woman with a sense of humor :-D

nsiyer said...

That's a good one, Sylvia.Just to add, ifront of him - his girl friend. The land mines would hit her. Smart men.

Peggy said...

What a great answer, loved this

Next time I see any women walking behind their husband I'll think of this post and smile!

wispy willow said...

That's what I would call a great "tee hee Tale"...

I walk behind my hubby quite often. He's got legs that make him 6'4" I have legs that make me
5'2". It's either walk behind, or run along side.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Mom/caryn and I have the same problem, my husband's 6'4" & I'm 5'4". Luckily, no land mines around here.

Martha Z said...

Love it. I'd be in trouble there, I'm afraid. I'm impatient and Hubby is showing his age, I'm often in front.

Sujatha Bagal said...

I read this a couple of days ago and am still laughing! :)

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time