I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, September 28, 2009

If One of These Children Were One of Yours, Would You Care???

I got this information from another blogger who cares, check out his site here and watch the video related to the following: You can also go directly to the video by clicking here. To sign the petition click here

The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child protects children. Only two nations in the world have yet to join the global community in ratifying this agreement: Somalia and the United States. Urge President Obama and Congress to ratify the convention without delay.

We, the undersigned, support US ratification of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. We urge President Obama to submit the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child to the US Senate for its advice and consent without delay. We further call on the US Senate to move swiftly to approve this convention.

The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child protects children by defining their basic human rights. It is the most comprehensive, accepted international agreement on basic protections for children. 193 countries have committed to support it.

Only two countries have failed to ratify this UN convention - Somalia and the United States of America. US failure to ratify the convention is an embarrassment.

Americans cherish our children and are generous in aiding boys and girls in need around the world. Now, with the advent of the 20th anniversary of the Convention, it is time to act. 2 countries in the world have yet to ratify. Let’s cut that number in half.

8 comments:

Kay said...

Absolutely, Sylvia. Why would he not want to?

Great Grandma Lin said...

children are the future of the world...

Libertine said...

Children are the most precious. We create for them, we live for them, we try to buid the better world for them. They deserve the best.

bobbie said...

Wonderful post, Sylvia.
But I have yet to find where I can sign the petition. What am I missing?

underOvr (aka The U) said...

Good morning Sylvia,

Thanks for sharing with your readers this important topic: United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. It's hard to understand our country's hesitancy on this issue.

The exploitation of children for labor must end.

U

Judy said...

Why anyone would want to exploit children is beyond me. Thanks for the info. Sylvia. I will check it all out. I certainly do care about all the children.

Deborah Godin said...

That's very surprising to me that this hasn't been done. Hope that changes soon.

Sujatha Bagal said...

Thanks for this info. Perhaps under the new administration things will change.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time