I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, October 5, 2009

That's My World - Great Falls, Montana

Time once again to share our worlds! That's My World is hosted each week by Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise. Click here to sign up and share yours!

My son has been on vacation this past week in Great Falls, Montana where he was born and grew up. He's recently reconnected with childhood friends and he is having such a great time! The pictures he has sent me have brought back lots of happy memories of those days when Montana was "my world", so I thought I'd share some of his pics as well as some I found on Google.

Great Falls is a city in and the county seat of Cascade County, Montana, United States. The population was 56,690 at the 2000 census. It is the principal city of the 'Great Falls, Montana Metropolitan Statistical Area', which encompasses all of Cascade County. Great Falls takes its name from the series of waterfalls that the Lewis and Clark Expedition had to portage around, requiring 31 days of arduous labor, in their 1805-06 exploration of the Louisiana Purchase. Two undeveloped parts of their portage route are included within the Great Falls Portage, a National Historic Landmark. The city is home to the C. M. Russell Museum Complex, the University of Great Falls, Giant Springs, the Roe River (world's shortest river), and the Montana School for the Deaf and the Blind, as well as the Great Falls Voyagers minor league baseball (formerly known as the Great Falls White Sox) team. The local newspaper is the Great Falls Tribune. Great Falls is known as the "Electric City" due to the five hydroelectric dams that are in the nearby vicinity along the Missouri River.

Photos courtesy of Big Sky Fishing.Com

This is the Duck Pond in Gibson Park! As a family, we spent many hours here enjoying the beauty, watching the kids play!



Once upon a time, the area around the old Milwaukee Road railroad tracks probably wasn't the nicest area in Great Falls. However, virtually all of the old buildings have now been very nicely restored. This is one of those buildings - which is just a stones throw away from downtown and the Great Falls Convention Center. This building used to be the old Great Northern Railroad Depot. It currently houses a number of offices for the local gas company.



The Missouri River and another restored tower in the background!



The Missouri River just downstream from downtown Great Falls.



This was our home in Great Falls.



And one of the best features -- for a family with four kids -- was a BIG backyard!

32 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

wow you make me want to visit Great Falls-only been through Butte and Missoula on my way to Idaho.

James said...

Montana seems like a very beautiful and relaxed place. Thanks for sharing Sylvia.
I was in a car that drove through Montana, but it was at night so I only saw the big beautiful sky.

Anonymous said...

Montana -- looks beautiful with wide, open spaces. There's so much to see in America. I should travel in the states more than traveling to Asia!

Christella D. Moody said...

Beautiful pictures.

Gabbi said...

Lovely city and share dear Sylvia! My favorite is the home and yard. :)

Kay said...

Small world, being such a small community, I lived there when I was 5-6; did my first year of school there...it's so beautiful! Thanks for taking me back :)

Martha Z said...

They say you can't go home again and in a sense that is true. But I enjoy revisiting the places that were important in my past, It helps to remember the good times.
It looks like you have plenty of good times in Great Falls to remember.

J said...

It looks beautiful and spacious - just right for horse whispering... ;)

Janie said...

Thanskf ro the history and tour of the city. Beautiful park and great backyard. It does look like an ideal place to raise a family.

abb said...

Never been to Montana - it's definitely on my bucket list. Thanks for the taste!

Quilt Works said...

Wow, what beautiful scenary. Great images!

SandyCarlson said...

That looks like a wonderful place to have a family.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see what was your world and I'm sure it's equally pleasant for you to revisit old haunts.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

What a great town. Last year I visited friends with my brother in Montana, near the Big Hole River. What gorgeous country. When I was a kid we lived in Spokane Washington for a while, and we used to visit Wyoming and Montana.

Hope your son has fun.

Anonymous said...

so enjoyed the visit to great falls; you had a lovely ranch home...
betcha got lots of snow?

Sujatha Bagal said...

This is the third time in a week that Montana has come up in converstations! There's surely a sign in there somewhere!

Unknown said...

I'd love to one day visit there. Let your son know how gorgeous his photos are!

Nice too to hear of someone reconnecting with their past, rather than trying to leave it behind.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: I am happy to see all the sites around your homestead. That certainly is a beautiful strech of river.

Vicki ~ FL said...

Beautiful pictures and that is really a very large backyard, perfect for 4 kids.

penny said...

I have never been there but would love to go... maybe someday.
Thanks for the journey down memory lane, Sylvia... I enjoyed it :)

Carver said...

What a beautiful place. Wonderful post.

Ramosforest.Environment said...

Beautiful landscape. Great shots.
Luiz Ramos

eileeninmd said...

Great Falls looks like a wonderful place to live. I love that back yard too, very nice.

Snap said...

Thanks for sharing a little of your history. I bet your son enjoyed his visit.

Lew said...

Looks like a great place to live! Sometimes, as your son has found, you can go home again!

Ebie said...

Ms Sylvia, Montana is beautiful! the photos make me want to visit, cause I have never been there.

Thanks for sharing your world!

magiceye said...

that indeed is a beautiful world!

Anonymous said...

Montana looks lovely with lots of rivers and great countryside.

Arija said...

Sylvia, how nice to walk down memory lane with you, I really love the back yard, so great for children and their friends to play in.
Thank you for your supportive messages, things are looking up.

annalarssonphotography said...

Gorgeous shots Sylvia!!!
Have a great week :)

Anna

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the virtual tour from the comfort of my Southern California home ... beautiful views ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Unknown said...

Great post. love the images too. great job. You should get in touch with the bizymoms Great-falls community to feature these on their page. It’s free and the moms will love them

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time