I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, November 13, 2009

Evening, Wisdom and Beauty



A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy. ~Edward P. Morgan



A good book on your shelf is a friend that turns its back on you and remains a friend. ~Author Unknown



The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say. ~Anaïs Nin



There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein. ~Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith



We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves. ~John Locke



English is a funny language; that explains why we park our car on the driveway and drive our car on the parkway. ~Author Unknown



I personally believe we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain. ~Jane Wagner

15 comments:

Janie said...

Great quotes and lovely scenes, especially the first and last.

Lee Spangler said...

Refreshing cool moist pictures. Where is the one from with the railing and the view of the bay? A romantic spot to take someone special!

Fida said...

What a dramatic sky the first picture shows. Beautiful!

Great Grandma Lin said...

I like the quotes about writing, so true.

Dimple said...

Beautiful pictures and thoughts worth contemplating. Thanks for stopping by!

kRiZcPEc said...

To drive in parkway and park in driveway? Why is that?

chrome3d said...

I sometimes wonder too if the language was invented for complaints only. Now I know that idea must have some truth in it.

Kay said...

Sometimes, when I'm doing a post, I actually do feel like I'm opening a vein. However, it helps to know you're out there to help me heal.

Anonymous said...

Its so wonderful to come here and get lost in those pictures. Then you enjoy the words and find a part of you in them...lovely.

Have a wonderful weekend.

nsiyer said...

The last one was'the icing on the cake'. My love for books - wow!

eileeninmd said...

All Wonderful photos, but my favorite is that first one it is just gorgeous!

magiceye said...

gorgeous!!!

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Fabulous quotes and photos - as usual!! I love the thought of books as a 'haven'. Although I had never used the word to describe my sacred time with my beloved books - it truly is that - a haven.

Anonymous said...

We complain so that we can hear ourselves grumble, and to know that there is something not quite right. Therefore, we remedy the situation, because the complaint is a sickness.

We write that which is right, our own personal truth....which is from our own special window that we see the world out of.

Crafty Green Poet said...

wonderful selection of quotes and photos, the top photo in particular is stunning

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time