I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Little Irish Humor for the Day

A good friend of mine sent this to me.

While on vacation in Rome, I noticed a marble column in St. Peter's with a golden telephone on it. As a young priest passed by, I asked who the telephone was for. The priest told me it was a direct line to heaven, and if I'd like to call, it would be a thousand dollars. I was amazed, but declined the offer.

Throughout Italy, I kept seeing the same golden telephone on a marble column. At each, I asked about it and the answer was always the same: It was a direct line to heaven and I could call for a thousand dollars.

Then ?

I finished my tour in Ireland. I decided to attend Mass at a local village church.. When I walked in the door I noticed the golden telephone. Underneath it there was a sign stating: "DIRECT LINE TO HEAVEN: 25 cents." "Father," I said, "I have been all over Italy and in all the cathedrals I visited, I've seen telephones exactly like this one. But the price is always a thousand dollars. Why is it that this one is only 25 cents?"

The priest smiled and said, my friend, you're in Ireland now. It's a local call.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it!! I also love Ireland and the nature of the characters there!

http://www.gardenersreach.com/post/M-is-for-Mallard.aspx

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful! You made me smile!

Jenn Jilks said...

I love it. I didn't manage a MWT post this month but I'm in Muskoka now ! P.S. love the trees poem.

squirrel said...

Thanks, that was fun. :-)

Jo said...

Oh, that's telling them, Sylvia. I LOVE your header photo. What tree is that? Too beautiful! Thanks for always visiting my blog and for the memes. (((Hugs))) Jo

Tarun Mitra said...

that is what a good humor

Pietro Brosio said...

Sylvia, I always enjoy your humorous posts! So funny!

Anonymous said...

LOL...too funny and I love the picture. Made a good start to my morning :) And PhQB that header picture is gorgeous :) Have a great day :)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

An oldie but a good oldie. I love it.

George said...

I love it! I've been to the Emerald Isle and I can understand why a direct line to heaven would be considered a local call.

bobbie said...

a fun one.

And it came on the day my youngest and family flew to Ireland.

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

LOVE it!!! Having been to Ireland once, I just couldn't agree more! It's by far the most beautiful place I've EVER seen!!

Thanks for the smile, Sylvia!!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time