I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, February 9, 2009

That's My World - Deception Pass


Deception Pass is a strait separating Whidbey Island from Fidalgo Island, in the northwest part of the U.S. state of Washington. It connects Skagit Bay, part of Puget Sound, with the Strait of Juan de Fuca. It is one of the most beautiful places in my world!


The first Europeans to see Deception Pass were members of the 1790 expedition of Manuel Quimper on the Princesa Real. The Spanish gave it the name Boca de Flon.[1] A group of sailors led by Joseph Whidbey, part of the Vancouver Expedition, found and mapped Deception Pass on June 1, 1792. George Vancouver gave it the name "Deception" because it had appeared to be a narrow bay instead of a strait, which would have made Whidbey Island a peninsula.


In the waters of Deception Pass, just east of the present-day Deception Pass Bridge is a small island known as Ben Ure Island. The island became infamous for its activity of smuggling illegal Chinese immigrants for local labor. Ure and his partner Lawrence "Pirate" Kelly were quite profitable at their smuggling business and played hide-and-seek with the United States Customs Department for years. Ure's own operation at Deception Pass in the late 1880's consisted of Ure and his Native-American wife. Local tradition has it that his wife would camp on the nearby Strawberry Island (which was visible from the open sea) and signal him with a fire on the island's summit to alert him to whether or not it was safe to bring his illegal cargo ashore. For transport, Ure would tie the illegal immigrants up in burlap bags so that if customs agents were to approach then he could easily toss the bags overboard. The tidal currents would carry the discarded immigrant's bodies to San Juan Island to the north and west of the pass and many ended up in what became known as Dead Man's Bay.


Between the years 1910 and 1914, a prison rock quarry[3] was operated on the Fidalgo Island side of the pass. Nearby barracks housed some 40 prisoners, members of an honors program out of Walla Walla State Penitentiary and the prison population was made up of all kinds of prisoners, including murderers. Guards stood watch at the quarry as the prisoners cut the rock into gravel and loaded it onto barges located at the base of the cliff atop the pass' waters. The quarried rock was then taken by barge to the Seattle waterfront. The camp was dismantled in 1924 and although abandoned as a quarry, the remains of the camp can still be found. The location, however, is hazardous and over the years there have been several fatal accidents when visitors have ventured onto the steep cliffs.

Upon completion in July 1935, the 976 foot span Deception Pass Bridge connected Whidbey Island to the tiny Pass Island, and Pass Island to Fidalgo Island. Prior to the bridge, travelers and businessmen would use an inter-island ferry to commute between Fidalgo and Whidbey islands. Boats can be seen waiting on either side of the pass for the current to stop or change direction before going through. Thrill-seeking kayakers go there during large tide changes to surf the standing waves and brave the class 2 and 3 rapid conditions.

Deception Pass is a profoundly dramatic seascape where the tidal flow beneath the twin bridges connecting Fidalgo Island to Whidbey Island goes extremely fast and rough. During lower tides, the swift current can lead to standing waves, huge whirlpools, and roiling eddies. This swift current phenomenon can be viewed from the twin bridges' pedestrian walkways or from the trail leading below the larger south bridge from the parking lot on the Whidbey Island side.

Join us and show your world! click on the icon at the top of page and sign up! Many thanks to Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise for making this meme so very much fun!!

33 comments:

Mortart said...

What a great historical account! I doubt whether many people could offer such a detailed and colorful history of their surroundings.

Dianne said...

that splash of purple color in the first photo is awesome!!

Darlene said...

Did you take these photos, Sylvia? They are very professional and beautiful.

The history of the area is brutal, but fascinating. I guess there have always been ruthless men who put profit over humanity. Those poor Chinese, drowning inside a burlap bag sends shivers down my spine.

Sylvia K said...

I wish I could take credit, Darlene, but I found these online when I was researching the Pass's history. I have been there and had taken some really nice shots, but those were among the things I lost when my computer crashed.

Susan at Stony River said...

Wow Sylvia, those are stunning photographs. If I'd been one of those European discoverers, I would never have gone home to talk about it, but stayed forever!

Guy D said...

Wow what a magnificent bridge, those are all great shots. I added your wonderful blog to my followers list so I can return often.

Have a great week.
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photographs and a very interesting my world post.

Louise said...

You are right about how beautiful it is! Thanks for all that interesting information, too!

Anonymous said...

It is astonishingly beautiful. An outdoorsman's paradise.

EG CameraGirl said...

You DO have a lovely corner of the world, Sylvia.

How interesting that prisoners worked in rock quarry at the beginning of the 20th century.

Reader Wil said...

Sylvia my compliments for your photos. Thank you for the interesting piece of history. How cruel this man Ure was. I love your sunset! ( or was it sunrise?)

Mojo said...

Why is it the most beautiful things on earth are always so deadly?

Great essay here -- photographically and otherwise. Makes me want to get up there with a camera for sure!

But not 'til it's warmer!

antigoni said...

Great history. I like the names of the islands and the bridge. Your photos are awesome.

The Good Life in Virginia said...

this is a fab post and i love the pics that accompany it. just a great post.
have a good day.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: That is a beautiful place and you certainly showed it at its best.

Janie said...

Beautiful photos of the pass and fascinating history! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Wonderful photos and a very interesting my world posting.

Anonymous said...

It is indeed a most beautiful part of the world and such interesting history. Thanks for the education.

Jane Hards Photography said...

What a briliant mini history lesson and beautiful images.

Anonymous said...

Such gorgeous photos! And the history is fascinating. Love the west coast!

A Scattering said...

You do such great research, always interesting photos and info. I see you managed to link, excellent!

Grammy said...

I love all the photos. What a beautiful place.

mannanan said...

Stunning photos as usual as well as excellent narrative. Thank you for sharing your world with the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! I didn't realize the Spanish exploration went that far north, so I've also learned something.

SandyCarlson said...

That looks likea grand place. I must cross the Hudson and see what the rest of this land looks like.

Unknown said...

Beautiful piccies of a stunning area, but with an amazing history and some sadness too.

Indrani said...

Interesting piece of history!
One has to be wisely adventurous though.

Beautiful shots, especially the view below.

Leanne said...

Amazing bridge and I love the water flowing over the pebbles.

magiceye said...

that was so interesting! thank you for this lovely tour!

Unknown said...

These are incredible photos. I also love your latest post of the sky. Thanks for sharing sylvia.

Raquel Sabino Pereira said...

W-O-W!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful your world is ... from the first bridge photo to the last collage and all in between! Just lovely. Interesting information too.
Hugs and blessings,

Perry said...

A little late to the play here, but this is a great post! I lived on a boat in Anacortes while in the navy and drove over the pass every day for four years. Not that I have forgotten how beautiful the area is, I had forgotten!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time