I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, March 9, 2009

That's My World -- Crater Lake


I lived in Oregon for sixteen years before moving to Seattle and I still consider it a part of "My World". Crater Lake is one of the most awesome places ever! Stark, beautiful, scary, breathtaking, mesmerizing all at the same time.

Crater Lake was formed around 4680 BC when the volcanic Mount Mazama blew its top in spectacular fashion. The eruption, estimated to have been 42 times more powerful than Mt. St. Helens' 1980 blast, reduced Mazama's approximate 11,000 foot height by around half a mile.

The mountain peak fed into the volcano's partially emptied neck and magma chamber, and Crater Lake was formed in the new crater.


Crater Lake has long been revered as sacred by the Klamath tribe of Native Americans, whose myths embody the catastrophic event they witnessed thousands of years ago. The central legend tells of two Chiefs, Llao of the Underworld and Skell of the World Above, pitted in a battle which ended in the destruction of Llao's home, Mt. Mazama.


An 1886 article in The Oregonian newspaper reported:

There is probably no point of interest in America that so completely overcomes the ordinary Indian with fear as Crater lake. From time immemorial no power has been strong enough to induce them to approach within sight of it. For a paltry sum they will engage to guide you thither, but before reaching the mountain top will leave you to proceed alone. To the savage mind it is clothed with a deep veil of mystery and is the abode of all manner of demons and unshapely monsters.
This account, and others like it, is now regarded as factually inaccurate. Although the Klamath Indians regarded the lake with much respect, awe and fear, many did (and do) approach the lake. In fact, Crater Lake was a major site for vision quests.


On June 5, 1853, Crater Lake was seen by white men for the first time. Three gold prospectors came upon it and one remarked in his journal, "This is the bluest lake we've ever seen." They named it Deep Blue Lake. Crater Lake has been impressing visitors ever since. In 1886, Captian Clarence Dutton, who made the first measurements of the depth of the lake, observed:
It was touching to see the worthy but untutored people, who had ridden a hundred miles in freight-wagons to behold it, vainly striving to keep back tears as they poured forth their exclamations of wonder and joy akin to pain.
Similarly, Mark Daniels, General Superintendent of the National Parks, remarked of Crater Lake:

The sight of it fills one with more conflicting emotions than any other scene with which I am familiar. It is at once weird, fascinating, enchanting, repellent, of exquisite beauty and at times terrifying in its austere-dignity and oppressing stillness.

In 1902, Congress decided that Crater Lake and its surrounding 180,000 acres were to be "dedicated and set apart forever as a public park or pleasure ground for the benefit and enjoyment of the people of the United States." The passing of this act was the culmination of a 17-year effort, championed by Crater Lake's primary promoter, William G. Steel.

Today, Crater Lake remains a sacred site for power quests and other spiritual pursuits, both for members of the Klamath Tribe and those interested in Native American spirituality. And for just about everyone, the spectacular lake is a place of religious-like awe.

In 2005, Crater Lake appeared on the Oregon quarter.


What to See
With a depth of 1958 feet, Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the United States and the seventh deepest in the world. At an elevation of 7000 to 8000 feet at the caldera rim, it is the deepest lake in the world that is entirely above sea level.



Crater Lake contains a prominent island known as Wizard Island, which was formed during the eruption over 7,000 years ago. A smaller island is called the Phantom Ship.


Look also for the "Old Man of the Lake," a hemlock log that has been floating upright in the lake for more than 100 years. Wind currents enable the Old Man to travel to different locations around the lake.

Join us and Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise and share Your World! Click here to sign in.

50 comments:

Dianne said...

the blue and green is so vivid!!

amazing place

Susan at Stony River said...

Wow, Sylvia, how beautiful. Thank you for the tour and history, especially I love the names you mention at the end, Wizard Island, Phantom Ship and the Old Man---am now dying to know how those names came about, and off to learn more!

What a perfect My World post!

Kay said...

I love this. How amazing! We went to a crater lake in Japan and thought it was gorgeous. However, this looks even more spectacular. Wow!

Deborah Godin said...

Well, I always love your nature photos and history, and these are no exception, but for some reason the phrase "Mount Mazama blew its top" just send me over the edge with giggles. I think I'm having one of those real silly retrograde mornings, right back to the fifth grade or something. You know, those times when you can make something goofy out of anything! So thanks for the gorgeous photos, and the (unquestionably unintentional) smiles!!

Sujatha Bagal said...

The photographs are fantastic. The colors are so deep. That part of the world is something else!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: What a beautiful mountain lake, may it remain dorment.

Eve said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing this post. I've been wanting to get up to Crater Lake for the entire three years that I've been living here in Oregon, but haven't made it yet. Maybe this summer...

Mojo said...

Okay, add another place to my Bucket List. Sounds like a must-see... and from your photos, it looks like it too!

Louise said...

Beautiful pictures and VERY interesting. I had no idea it was so deep.

Anonymous said...

I've been there once on Memorial Day and the place was like Winter Wonderland; so I did not see the bluest blue lake, but it did not matter. The place is simply magical.

What amazes me is that Oregon is filled with natural beauty and yet it only has Crater Lake as the only designated national park.

SandyCarlson said...

These photos define blue!

SandyCarlson said...

These photos define blue!

Gaelyn said...

Sylvia, this is an excellent post. Your images and words tell such a complete story.
Because I've mentioned Crater Lake in My World post I'm adding your post as a link. Hope that's OK.
WoW! Isn't it an amazing place?

Janie said...

What an incredibly beautiful lake. I've heard of Crater Lake, but I can't recall seeing photos. Thanks for sharing your pictures and the history.

The Good Life in Virginia said...

great post of an national treasure. been there many times as a young person and was so taken by it. always enjoyed a vacation that took us by crater lake.

thanks for sharing with us.

erin

Carole said...

Oh! These are just breathtaking photos. I've been to Washington a few times, but I've never been to Oregon.

Carver said...

What a stunningly beautiful sequence of shots and such an interesting post. I hope to visit there someday.

Reader Wil said...

Thank you for the information about the origine of the crater lake. We have no craters in my country, so for me this is very interesting!

Unknown said...

What a great posting. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This place looks absolutely amazing. The photos are gorgeous. It looks like a slice of heaven. Thanks for the interesting history along with it too!

Unknown said...

Wow,look at those blueness and the greens. I love the contrast, looks so calm right now.

Jeannelle said...

Your post is just superb! Gorgeous photos and in-depth information about very deep Crater Lake. A most interesting read. Thank you!

underOvr (aka The U) said...

Hi Sylvia K,

I talked with MPH before leaving town and he mentioned your blog. I just returned from Nicaragua and want to catch up with what you've been writing. I think you mentioned writing a mystery (it's been a while and I'm old if my memory seems vague).

I have no idea how folks are so good at managing multiple blogs. U definitely has limitations there :-)

I started reading your blog and checked those great pics you've posted; I felt like I had my own personal tour guide. Getting notifications when you write a new post will keep me abreast of what's going on in your part of town.

U

Jane Hards Photography said...

I have to see this palce in person. It jaw dropping.

Guy D said...

Stunning photos, crater lake looks outstanding, reminds me of Lake Louise up here in Canada.

Have a great week!
Guy
Regina In Pictures

bobbie said...

Fascinating, and very beautiful!

Lilli & Nevada said...

Yup Crater is certainly a great area with some beautiful photo shots.

Indrani said...

Great shots and lots of info too. I learned a lot about your place today and that pleases me.

Tara said...

The crater looks so magnificent with the blue waters surrounding it. Nice shot and world you've shown to us too.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Silvia, this is a fantastic view of your world. A great Nationalpark, the blue of the lake is amazing and everything else about it as well.
I have started to read your Novel. But I have to start at the beginning. It is very engrossing and well written.

Carolyn said...

Thank you for your post, your pictures are outstanding as is the scenery and history. Thank you for sharing and stopping by. Have a great week.
Smiles

Swarna said...

I am so glad for this meme. Thanks for this rarity, and your description of the place, the history, and your feelings - this was a rich experience. (he ha - the only word I share is I am an Indian from India). Will let my sister in Boston know of this place.

Anonymous said...

They are all such great views of the lake. I love this natural monument to nature too. I've experienced it a few times and Stacey and I will be hiking the Pacific Crest Trail this year and the trail goes through this awesome national park. I liked the history you included in your post too Sylvia.

Unknown said...

Sylvia, wonderful interesting post and piccies, I would love to visit there.

Mare said...

Isn't Crater Lake a national park, too? I traveled cross country from NY to Oregon and back in 1976 the Bicentenniel year. We stopped at Crater Lake. I'd love to see it again.

Peggy said...

I can see why some say Crater Lake is a spiritual place. I feel it! Thank you for sharing your world with us.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Those pictures are simply stunning! Thanks for the tour.

Linda Reeder said...

Oh, how I love this place! I have only been there twice, once with sun and wildflowers in summer, and once with snow in July!

Mariz said...

Stunning photos! Thanks for the tour. Learned something new today. Thanks also for dropping by my world earlier.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'd heard of Crater Lake, even seen pictures of it, but never seen it in person. Thank you for lovely post. I felt like I was almost there.

Leanne said...

Isn't mother nature clever to make that blue it is amazing. It looks such a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing.

Lantaw said...

Wow! what a place!

antigoni said...

Awesome photos, amazing place.
I sure want to visit this place.

chrome3d said...

What a story and location! That was really deep blue. The islands made it extra special.

Anonymous said...

that is really interesting history of the lake and i really hope i can visit it someday. the pictures are just sooooo amazing too.

Unknown said...

Great shots and background info!
Crater Lake is Oregon's ONLY National Park. It is also the deepest in the US and the seventh deepest in the world. It is open year round but the Lodge and facilities are closed in the Winter because of the snow. They get more snow at Crater Lake National Park than any other place in the continental United States - averrage is 45 feet!!!
The lodging at Crater Lake can be hard to come by as they book out way in advance and is only open the end of May thru middle of October. Close by and open year round is Prospect Historic Hotel (www.prospecthotel.com). It is a B&B and Motel with a superb Dinner House.
We loved it when we stayed there!

Barb said...

In my imagination, I'm sitting on one of those rockers, looking at the beautiful lake, and feeling the sun on my face. Thanks for the informative tour.

Unknown said...

Crater Lake, what a wonderful place and your photo's are also wonderful. Well done.

Lew said...

Crater Lake is one of the most beautiful spots in the US! And one I would like to see some day. Thansk for posting such great shots and the history of the place.

abb said...

What beautiful photos! This is one of the many American sites that is most definitely on my bucket list. Off to look up more photos of the ~old man~.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time