I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, June 22, 2009

That's My World -- The Columbia River Gorge

Time once again to share the beauty, the fun of your world! Hosted by Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise, That's Your World is a fun and exciting meme! Click here to sign up and share not only your world, but the fun!

One of the incredible places in my world is the Columbia River Gorge. Thanks to Google and Wikipedia I'm able to show you the very best. I've been very fortunate to see it, to boat on it and just to stand above it and have my breath taken away.

The Columbia River Gorge is a canyon of the Columbia River in the Pacific Northwest of the United States. Up to 4,000 feet (1,200 m) deep, the canyon stretches for over 80 miles (130 km) as the river winds westward through the Cascade Range forming the boundary between the State of Washington to the north and Oregon to the south.

Extending roughly from the confluence of the Columbia with the Deschutes River down to eastern reaches of the Portland metropolitan area, the gorge furnishes the only navigable route through the Cascades and the only water connection between the Columbia River Plateau and the Pacific Ocean.




The gorge holds federally protected status as a National Scenic Area and is a popular recreational destination.



The gorge has supported human habitation for over 13,000 years. Evidence of the Folsom and Marmes people, who crossed the Bering land bridge from Asia, were found in archaeological digs. Excavations near Celilo Falls, a few miles east of The Dalles, show humans have occupied this salmon-fishing site for more than 10,000 years.



The gorge has provided a transportation corridor for thousands of years. American Indians would travel through the Gorge to trade at Celilo Falls, both along the river and over Lolo Pass on the north side of Mount Hood. In 1805, the route was used by the Lewis and Clark Expedition to reach the Pacific.[3] Early European and American settlers subsequently established steamboat lines and railroads through the gorge. Today, the BNSF Railway runs freights along the Washington side of the river, while its rival, the Union Pacific Railroad, runs freights along the Oregon shore. Until 1997, Amtrak's Pioneer also used the Union Pacific tracks. The Portland segment of the Empire Builder uses the BNSF tracks that pass through the gorge.

The Columbia River Highway, built in the early 20th century, was the first major paved highway in the Pacific Northwest. Shipping was greatly simplified after Bonneville Dam and The Dalles Dam submerged the gorge's major rapids.

Multonomah Falls



In November 1986, Congress made it the first U.S. National Scenic Area and established the Columbia River Gorge Commission as part of an interstate compact.[4] In 2004, the gorge became the namesake of the Columbia Gorge American Viticultural Area, a 4,432-acre (1,794 ha) area located on both sides of the river.

41 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

The Gorge is gorgeous indeed.

Deborah Godin said...

You live in a mountain/ocean paradise!!

Anonymous said...

Wow - fantastic photos. What a wonderful part of the world you live in.

wispy willow said...

I'm thinkin that when you get to heaven, you may be disappointed. It certainly can't top what you've shared with us here.

I remember visiting the Gorge several years ago. I loved, loved, loved, the entire area. It's breathtaking.

Judy said...

Beautiful, just totally awesome but I don't know if I could go on that bridge near the falls. I am so scared of heights!

Darlene said...

Breathtaking photos and the picture of the Falls rivals Niagara for sheer beauty.

When I was ten years old we lived in Vancouver, WA for about 9 months and every Friday night we crossed this river to Portland to buy a Boston Creme pie. It was an exciting time for a very homesick girl, but it was scary when the fog was so thick you couldn't see the car in front of you.

Anonymous said...

i can attest it is a beautiful river...been there many times and so enjoy visiting it.
your background info was great.

Carver said...

Wow, what an absolutely gorgeous place. I love all the shots but the one of the waterfalls and the second shot with that incredible sky over the green knocked me over with their beauty. Very interesting text too.

robin andrea said...

One of the prettiest places on earth.

Anonymous said...

Reading the interesting history and looking at those beautiful pictures leave no doubt as to why the gorge holds federally protected status as a National Scenic Area. The place is a dream!

You are very lucky to have experienced boating on it, Sylvia.

SandyCarlson said...

Talk about beautiful! These are outstanding.

Guy D said...

That is outstanding, so incredibly beautiful.

Have a great week
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I remember one Easter, (we lived off 122nd St in Portland) my parents took us to Multnomah Falls to eat and then we went to view the falls, and also to Crown Point. It was a magical time. The gorge is beautiful and the Columbia is a mighty river. I also spent the night on a houseboat on the river too. A highlight of my young life. I truly miss the green of Oregon.

James said...

Very special and an incredibly beautiful place. Wow!

Jane Hards Photography said...

It is a magnificent area. Just screams fresh air through the screen(I have no idea where screams came from)and a sense of well being.

Anonymous said...

One of the most beautiful places I've seen and I want to go back and stay longer.

maryt/theteach said...

Oh my, Sylvia! The Columbia River Gorge deserves the federal designation. It is absolutely amazing! :)

Unknown said...

Ah, what a beautiful world. Love the foamy whites of the water and that bridge is awesome.

Joanna said...

Every single one of these photographs is stunning, but I especially love the vista of the one at the top. We are going to be traveling through that area in September and I'll be sure to stop and take a long look

Gaelyn said...

Absolutely stunning. I love the gorge. Lived and worked there years ago. Thanks for the memories Sylvia.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

Oh my,wow magnificently lush and lovely

Sally in WA said...

Excellent post! The Gorge is a wonderful place.

Irene said...

Spectacular gorge..thanks for sharing

Marites said...

really amazing pictures of the gorge. You have a very beautiful world.

My world entry is up here

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: what a wonderful place and neat waterfall captures along with the bubbling stream.

alicesg said...

Wow the waterfall looked so amazing and beautiful. Thanks for your comments in my blog.

Lew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chrome3d said...

You made visual poetry from water.

Joy said...

It's gorgeous there and looks like paradise! Wish I were there.

Lew said...

All gorgeous, especially the waterfalls!

Barb said...

I would love to visit this area. We have been thinking of planning a bike trip to your state. Very scenic!

Carolyn said...

Sylvia such beautiful photographs of such a beautiful area. I only know the upper Columbia before it heads into the United States but I have enjoyed this beautiful journey with you. Thank you for sharing.
Smiles

antigoni said...

Amazing place, awesome photos!

Ramosforest.Environment said...

Great Nature.
Luiz Ramos

Susan at Stony River said...

Wow, Sylvia, postcard after postcard in that one! No wonder songs were written about it; it's truly beautiful.

Snap said...

How beautiful! Wonderful educational post. I hope to get to the Columbia River Gorge someday -- soon!

Unknown said...

Wonderful photos. The gorge is beautiful..

Great place to spend some time with a camera..

Very cool captures..

VALKYRIEN said...

Wow! Fantastic shots of a amazing place! You are blessed to have such wonderful nature where you live! Those photos of the waterfalls are really wonderful!

Thanks for stopping by!

Louise said...

These photos are positively breathtaking! Excellent shots! (I like the flowers in your next post,too!)

kRiZcPEc said...

How beautiful! Thanks for sharing. :)

??? said...

I've been there, coming from Oregon and crossing it going to Idaho and it's truly a gorgeous place. The sheer size is amazing (especially to a European - everything IS bigger in the US!)

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time