I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Looking Back - Part 10 - Reflections

Sometimes as night begins to fall, the activities of the day completed, the house suddenly quiet, I find myself looking back over the years -- not in a bad or negative way at all, but just with a certain curiosity. I wonder if anyone would have told me fifty years ago when I was twenty-five and working in Dallas, Texas that when I would be getting ready to celebrate my seventy-sixth birthday I would be the mother of four grown children, that I would be living in Seattle, Washington with one of them -- what would I have said? I suddenly found myself laughing out loud and thinking that was exactly what I would have done then --laughed. "Me, get married? Have kids? You've got to be kidding, right? I mean, Seattle wouldn't be bad, but no thanks, to the rest of it." And yet here I am, seventy-six in just a few weeks and I am the mother of four and I am living with one of them in Seattle, Washington and it's working well for both of us. And the others have done well, too. We're scattered all over the country, but thanks to the internet and cell phones etc. etc. we stay in close touch.

I frequently wonder if other people look back over their lives and wonder how they ended up where they are now -- not in a negative way, but just curious. What were the dreams, hopes, plans? How many lives turned out just as they had planned them in their late teens or early twenties? How many find themselves in amazingly different settings than they would have thought possible fifty years ago?

I’ve pretty much lived my life, for the past forty years at least, with the belief that the past is over and done with and you can’t bring it back. Generally speaking I wouldn’t want to anyway. By the same token, tomorrow may never come and that means the only time we have for certain is now, today, this hour, this minute. To live in the moment means, for one thing, letting go of regrets and bad memories. It also means not putting off until tomorrow what you can do today – all kinds of things like getting in touch with old friends, finding the book you’ve been hearing about or wanting to read, glorying in a sunrise or sunset, a day at the beach, a beautiful day regardless of the season. Appreciating good friends and letting them know you care – now, not later. Forgiving everyone and everything that has hurt you in the past. Actually, I feel that forgiveness is the greatest gift you can give to yourself and it doesn’t matter if that means forgiving yourself or someone else. The real reward is a sense of peace and it’s yours forever. Hugging your children every chance you get and that goes for that favorite pet as well. Lingering over a meal long enough to really savor the taste. And laughter, look for and find lots and lots of reasons to laugh. Do your best to get rid of the feelings of anger and frustration because they destroy the beauty of any moment.

Now that I’ve praised this idealistic state of being, do I succeed at doing this for myself all the time? You can bet I don’t – not all the time. I find when I’m not paying attention I can easily let myself remember what it was like to be hurt, disappointed in things, other people, and most of all myself. And for the times when I said or did something that hurt another person. Can you change them? No. Can you eliminate them? Not unless you’re truly willing to let them go, forgive whoever was involved, including yourself and get on with your life here and now, in the present. Too idealistic? Perhaps, but that is and has been my goal at least.

Maybe it's how we begin our journey into our future that determines how far that journey takes us from where we started. Maybe we've become a very different person from the twenty something woman or man that we were. Do we even really remember who we were then? Are there many, who like me, played another role for so many years that we're not sure which one is the real one? I believe that I do know who the real me is now and she isn't that twenty-five year old from Dallas, Texas. For one thing, I've made peace with who I am, who I was and who I hope to be on the other side of seventy-six and that's a very, very good feeling. Still, sometimes I wonder how many lifetimes it took me to finally reach this place?

Well, whatever, it's been a great journey and I'm happy to be where I am. I have so much to be thankful for and happy about. I still have an enormous amount of curiosity about so many things, I still get excited about things that happen every day and I can laugh and have my breath taken away at the sight of a full moon, a bouquet of flowers, the music I love, a beautiful piece of art, the mountains that surround us here and the water! And I have my health. Oh, I know, I get stirred up over politics, I worry about the country, about the environment and grit my teeth over the Republicans, but at the end of the day when I get very still, I know what's real and what matters.

And as I said before it's been a marvelous ride in spite of some bumpy roads and it's not over yet. Who knows how many more lovely surprises are waiting along the way?

So, I don’t have a lot of regrets or at least ones that I’m willing to focus on to the detriment of my peace of mind, happiness and ability to enjoy and live in the moment. Are there things I wish I had done or done differently? Of course, there are, but since it isn’t possible to go back and change those things, they’re not enough to make me waste the “now”, which is all I have, all any of us have. So grin, giggle, laugh and shove as much of the past as you can let go of inside a great big old trunk and toss it over the side of your own personal life boat now! And live -- in the moment!

16 comments:

Deborah Godin said...

Loved reading all your reflections and bits of wisdom on life, Sylvia! I, too, play that looking-back game from time to time, from a similar perspective. It's fun to think of being able to go to a younger self and say, Guess what?! and look at the look of disbelief!!

Roshni said...

that was a truly beautiful collection of thoughts...but why do I have the sinking feeling that it sounds like the conclusion to your stories of looking back?! I hope not!!

Janie said...

I never expected life to lead me to where I am, either, but I'm happy to be here.
Good advice to forgive, both self and others. I, too, have found it's the only way to let go of the past and live for the future.

Anonymous said...

Whew, Sylvia, my sentiments exactly! You put it so well.

Margaret Gosden said...

I am 77 and feel pretty much the same way. I could not put it so neatly in words the way you have, but I do feel that my blog is a way of reviewing the past, seeing the relevance of the past in the present and finding a way, thanks to today's technology, of living in the moment while at the same time recreating the moment with technological skills that were unheard of in the 1940s. To have lived long enough to move with the times is another unexpected event, and I am thankful that I have found another medium that seems to me to have endless possibilities for drawing on past learned skills. Thank you for inspiring these thoughts!

Ziggy Stardust said...

Beautiful post.

Anne

Mary Ellen said...

I love your philosophy - and your vitality (I wouldn't have guessed 75, but what do I know?) Well, I'll get there sooner than I imagine, if I'm lucky - and if I keep as positive as you do.

Linda Reeder said...

My twenty year old self would be surprised by my almost 65 year old self, too. But I've had a great life so far, and the older I get the more I appreciate it. I'll be seizing the day Friday as I celebrate my birthday at Paradise, Mt Rainier, amid the wild flowers.

Crayons said...

Hi Sylvia,
I've come to you via Bobbie's blog. Thank you so much for this post. I am about 15 years behind you in this river, whitewater that pushes us along. I'm so glad to know that your are at peace with your life. I've just turned 50, and I'm raking myself over the coals.

I like the image of you laughing. When my dear mother turned 80, I asked her for some reflection. She laughed and said "I never, ever imagined being 80."

Rinkly Rimes said...

Lovely contemplative writing! As someone even older than you are I know how you feel. I actually like myself more now than I did when I was fifty! As for thinking 'wot if?'.....
My friend Margaret and I met in England when we were fourteen. Now we correspond almost daily between America and Australia! We could never have imagined that!

bobbie said...

What a marvelous post, Sylvia! You are so right. Today is all we really have. We might as well make the most of it. Too late to worry about yesterday. No point at all in worrying too much about tomorrow.

I'm so glad to see that Caroline's Crayons found you through me. Have you read her blog? It's super!

♥ Braja said...

This was wonderful Sylvia. I absolutely loved how you went from the good advice stage to "do I succeed at this? You bet I don't..." :) I loved it. So true; the ideal goals that we aspire to have to be met with honesty, otherwise they become nothing but cliched terms, don't they?

I think everyone looks back over their life and questions their choices the way you speak of; it's possibly quite natural. Although I don't know that I've ever done it :)) Perhaps if there are regrets it's natural, or some unfulfilled state of being inside us....for me that doesn't exist and I can't remember looking back over things and wondering. There is perhaps only one incident that comes up when I do that, and I wonder -- had I made different choices -- what my life would be like. But since I love my life, it's not done with regret; just a curiosity of the choices made. I am reminded of the saying "start as you mean to go on," and see that this is what we're all the result of: our beginnings, our choices.

The eastern philosophies say "uncountable lifetimes," if that helps :)

Yes, I'm writing a post here :))

Barb said...

Thank You, Sylvia - I sometimes think back, too - wondering how I got to where I am but also happy to be here.

magiceye said...

way to go!!!!!!

The Retired One said...

I totally agree with your insight and your reader's comments.
I never knew your age and pictured you as someone in their 50's.
I love that you are blogging at your age and keeping up with technology.
You GO, girl!
And the fact that some of your readers that commented are even older than you?=priceless.

Joy said...

Excellent post! I needed this reminder. I reflect on the path that brought me where I am now. Sometimes I wallow a bit and other times am philosophical.

Next time you visit my blog, be sure to check out Bless Our Hearts. It's on my blog list but also has a link on a recent post. She writes eloquently, and I think you'd like her blog. (so would many of Sylvia's readers)

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time