I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Sunday, May 2, 2010

There is Always a Reason!

The 'LITTLE' Things~

As you might remember, the head of a company survived 9/11 because his son started kindergarten.
Another fellow was alive because it was his turn to bring donuts.
One woman was late because her alarm clock didn't go off in time.
One was late because of being stuck on the NJ Turnpike due to an auto accident.
One of them missed his bus.
One spilled food on her clothes and had to take time to change.
One's car wouldn't start.
One couldn't get a taxi.
The one that struck me was the man who put on a new pair of shoes that morning,
took the various means to get to work, but before he got there, he developed a blister on his foot. He stopped at a drugstore to buy a Band-Aid.
That is why he is alive today.. now when I am stuck in traffic, miss an elevator, turn back to answer a ringing telephone...all the little things that annoy me.
I think to myself, This is exactly where I'm meant to be at this very moment..
Next time your morning seems to be going wrong,
The children are slow getting dressed,
You can't seem to find the car keys,
You hit every traffic light,
Don't get mad or frustrated; It may be just that someone is watching over you.
May you continue to be blessed with all those annoying little things and may you remember their possible purpose.

This is a wonderful poem Audrey Hepburn wrote when asked to share her 'beauty tips..'
It was read at her funeral years later.

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his/her fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.

As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others.

15 comments:

Loran said...

Wonderful thoughts and sentiments, Sylvia.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

A lovely post Sylvia and words to bear in mind. I admired Audrey Hepburn very much and was glad to read her words. A

Unknown said...

Well said. What a wonderful post, Sylvia.
Have a blessed Sunday!
hugs
shakira

Peggy said...

Sylvia;

Thank ou so much for this post.
I sometimes let the day ruin my smile. Now when things are not going to well,I will remember this post.
I just loved Audrey Hepburn, now even more!

Sarah said...

Both very interesting things Sylvia. I love the Audrey Hepburn words!

Allisonian said...

Thank you Sylvia;
I, too, loved Audrey Hepburn and forgot that was her quote. Thank you for riminding me.
I also love what your wrote about our 'two hands'.
Enriching words!
Thank you again!
Have a great Sunday!
:)

Joe Todd said...

With those thoughts in my mind sitting in traffic isn't such a hassle. You do come up with some great "stuff" Thanks so much

Kay said...

This is such a wonderful post, Sylvia. I truly believe every word of it, of course.

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for Audrey Hepburn's words. They are spot on and necessary today.

bobbie said...

I do believe there is a reason for everything, and no one goes - nor stays - before or beyond their time. It's good to be reminded. We don't have to understand. We just need faith.

Christine said...

Wonderful and thought provoking post Sylvia. I have to drive a lot and sometimes it seems that life just gets in the way of me getting in the car and driving away. Several times when this has happened, I will come across a car accident or a tree in the road, or something that may have involved me had I left the house an hour earlier. I am more spiritual than religious, but I do believe that each of us is cared for in some way.

maryt/theteach said...

And my husband, Vinny, was late for work that day because I had broken my foot the day before Sept. 11 and he made coffee for me before he left for work... :)

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

This is a really wonderful post! Filled with so much to contemplate and remember.

Thank you also, for stopping by my place and always leaving such sweet and encouraging comments!

:) ldh

JTG (Misalyn) said...

I love this post especially now that I am little bit weary.

I always believe that everything happens for a reason. We may not know the importance of it in the beginning but later on we will.

With these wise and though provoking post, you reminded me of my mother. I always remember her telling me that never ever complain on what is happening to your life, instead accept everything and thank the Lord each day that you are alive.

Susan at Stony River said...

I'd never heard that Audrey Hepburn verse but I *love* it -- and loved her too! Great post, Sylvia.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time