I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, January 30, 2009

Finding the Joy


/\Namaste
During these days it seems to be harder and harder to find and to feel the joy that we all want to have in our lives. But what is life without joy? I can gripe and complain with the best regarding politics in this country today; I worry about the economy and how it is going to affect my kids -- me. Just today my son, David, in Texas wrote me that the layoffs have begun at Fossil where he works as a graphic artist. His job is not in danger -- yet. This is what he wrote me, "There were layoffs this morning. It affected three people in our department. One is a young woman from Israel who only has 21 days to find another job in the design field before she will be forced to return home. Kind of a heavy day around here." I hurt for that young woman. But we do have it within us to feel and experience joy, it just requires that we be able to look past the troubled world we live in. Look up, look around you! I found this poem and thought that it said all pretty well.

"Joy," by Rabindranath Tagore
And Joy is Everywhere
It is in the Earth's green covering of grass;
In the blue serenity of the Sky;
In the reckless exuberance of Spring;
In the severe abstinence of gray Winter;
In the Living flesh that animates our bodily frame;
In the perfect poise of the Human figure, noble and upright;
In Living;
In the exercise of all our powers;
In the acquisition of Knowledge;
in fighting evils...
Joy is there Everywhere.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have posted a few of Tagores poems myself...just beautiful!
I agree 100% joy and happiness are there, right in front of us for the taking...it is just up to us to choose to see and feel and live joy!
It all comes down to perspective :)

bobbie said...

One of my all time favorites - Tagore

And we also find joy in your so beautiful photographs. You do come up with some beauties!

Peggy said...

Sylvia;

One of my favorites too, Sylvia;

Check out my blog, I left you an award there!

magiceye said...

you are absolutely right sylvia but one can enjoy all those only on a full stomach..

robin andrea said...

So sorry to read about those layoffs. A friend of ours was just laid off after 20 years at Plantronics. These are tough times.

I like being reminded of Tagore. One of my favorite things to read is a conversation between Tagore and Albert Einstein. I also just love seeing their faces together.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time