I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, January 30, 2009

What Are Politicians in General Thinking These Days??

I posted this briefly earlier, then took it off thinking that everyone is as sick of politics as I am, but that turning away from the things we don't want to think about, don't want to deal with is one of the reasons we're in the mess that we are today. So, I re-posted it. We can't afford to keeping looking away from things we don't want to think about and saying, 'there's nothing I can do anyway'. I will continue to post beautiful things because they are what give us the courage to do what we can about the ugly things not only in our own country but in the world today.

In the daily email yesterday morning that I get from MSNBC's Political Director, Chuck Todd, he seemed to be asking the same question. Unfortunately, the Democrats are acting as childish as the Republicans. This in turn leads me to want to ask, isn't our country's future more important that this petty, small-minded view that seems to be running rampant in Washington right now?

Despite Obama traveling to Capitol Hill to meet with them in private, despite including one of their former members (Ray LaHood) in his cabinet, and despite inviting their leaders over for cocktails last night at the White House, not a single House Republican voted for the stimulus package, which cleared the House yesterday by a 244-188 vote. Predicting that GOP outcome before the vote, the Washington Post notes, House Republican Leader John Boehner put his finger and thumb together to signal the big, fat "O" -- zero. House GOP leaders seemed to go out of their way to make sure reporters knew the message they were sending was directed at Speaker Pelosi, not the president. (As one snarkily noted to First Read, the president met with House Republicans on the stimulus bill more times than Pelosi did). But how closely does the American public follow congressional politics? Won't this look like they are snubbing a president who just days ago reached out to them? Republicans are taking a risk by looking so defiant, especially if this package ends up working. The last thing the GOP needs is another "O" -- obstructionist" -- being tagged to them.

Another Obama Olive Branch: That said, in his statement last night, Obama said that he wants "to strengthen" the stimulus plan before it gets to his desk. It was an interesting word choice and yet another olive branch to House Republicans. (And get this -- Obama didn't include the words "Democrat" or "Democratic" in his statement.) There are a number of Democrats scratching their heads at the House GOP goose egg; we even learned that LaHood was calling his fellow House Republican asking for them to support the legislation. After all, the president has a 70% job approval rating and the package itself has the support of a majority of Americans, who in general appear to believe they want government to do something -- rather than nothing -- when it comes to the economy. Interestingly, the president may have his own issues to deal with in his own party. The more defiant Democrats are thinking, "I told you so," when it comes his GOP outreach efforts. In addition, we've been hearing chatter from congressional Democrats that they'd like the president to act as concerned about winning their support as he acts when it comes to the Republicans. Meanwhile, a coalition of liberal groups is launching a new ad campaign that urges moderate Republican senators to support the economic stimulus.

Status Quo You Can Believe In? Just askin', but what kind of message would the GOP be sending after its 2008 losses by keeping Mitch McConnell as Senate leader, keeping John Boehner as House leader, and keeping Mike Duncan as RNC chair? If that all happens, it's an odd message to send to the party and American voters. Not much change.

5 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

Sylvia, I can't believe they are acting this way, even now! It makes me sick! :(

Rain Trueax said...

Boy do I agree with everything you said. Write your Congressmen and tell them what you think. Americans have to care enough to put their voice out or this will never get better!

Mare said...

I have a similar post to yours, and the whole topic makes me angry. I decided to do something and send an email to my Congressman and maybe to the White House, too. Hasn't anyone in Congress heard about being a 'team player.'

Joy said...

Next? Sarah Palin.

I wrote my Senators and Congressma earlier in the week. The Senators are Republicans, and the Representative is one of the few Democrats we have now from TN. I also asked them to get that bail-out money back from the ones who used part of it for bonuses and planes. Then I asked them to vote to allocate stimulus money for infrastructure.

I think I'll keep sending them emails every week or more for a while.

Linda Reeder said...

Republicans want smaller government. If they can't get that, then they want ineffective government, government that doesn't accomplish much. That describes the Bush years, with incompetent cronies put in charge of agencies so thay would not function well. They really still believe government is the problem, not the solution.
But they are out of touch with reality now, and out of touch with the American people. Eventually, if they don't participate, they'll be pushed aside, and their power will dwindle even more. Now they are happy to be nay sayers and let the credit or blame fall on the President and the Democrats.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time