I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, January 30, 2009

Icebergs in the Antartic

Icebergs in the Antarctic area sometimes have stripes, formed by
layers of snow that react to different conditions

Blue stripes are often created when a crevice in the ice sheet
fills up with meltwater and freezes so quickly that no bubbles form.

When an iceberg falls into the sea, a layer of salty seawater can
freeze to the underside. If this is rich in algae, it can form a
green stripe. Brown, black and yellow lines are caused by sediment, picked up
when the ice sheet grinds downhill towards the sea.







... Isn't this amazing??
Nature is amazing!
The water froze the instant the wave broke through the ice. That's what it is like in Antarctica where it is the coldest weather in decades. Water freezes the instant
it comes in contact with the air. The temperature of the water is already some degrees below freezing. Just look at how the wave froze in mid-air!!!

Having the Internet means that we get to see something that we never imagined!

6 comments:

Peggy said...

Sylvia;

These pictures are stunning...I kept staring at them for the longest time...Amazing stuff!

Anonymous said...

Yes, awesome! Someone sent me this in an email a while back, and I went straight to the Snopes site to see it they were real or were more Photoshopped internet hoaxes - and was delighted and amazed to find out they are real. Nice to see more of them, thanks!

Sylvia K said...

Deborah, I did the same thing and I, too, was delighted that they are for real!

Carletta said...

Wow! Thank you!

storyteller said...

Wow ... how amazing these photos are! I had no idea that icebergs could be so stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Linda Reeder said...

Sylvia, I'm having a hard time keeping up with you. I just scrolled way down your site and found these incredible photos. They are amazing!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time