I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, January 12, 2009

My World #11


(Just an added note, I'm still having computer problems and for some reason have been unable to leave comments on some sites, not all????)
A couple hours drive and a short ferry ride from Seattle will get you to Orcas Island one of the San Juan Islands. It's one of the stunningly beautiful places in My World! The photograph I use for my header was taken among the San Juan Islands.

Orcas Island is slightly larger, but less populous, than neighboring San Juan Island. Orcas is shaped like a pair of saddlebags, separated by fjord-like East Sound, with Massacre Bay on the south side, and tiny Skull Island just off the coast. At the northern end of the island is the village of Eastsound, the largest town on Orcas and the second largest in San Juan County. In 1989 the Lummi Nation regained a village and burial site on Orcas Island's Madrona Point near Eastsound, and now operates it as Madrona Point Park, a private preserve characterized by hundreds of twisting madrona trees sprouting from the rocky shoreline. There are daily commercial flights to and from Orcas Island Airport in Eastsound, as well as seasonal seaplane flights to different locations on the island, including Rosario, West Sound and Deer Harbor.

 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

31 comments:

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

Sylvia

We see marvelous views in your world!
Thanks for sharing!

Luiz

Marina said...

It's faaar away from me but then you never know...

Gaelyn said...

Great tour Sylvia. Brings back many memories of sailing on the Sound around the San Juan Islands.

EG CameraGirl said...

Orcas is a place I'd LOVE to visit some day!

Janie said...

I visited the San Juan Islands once. your photos bring back memories.
I love the subtitle of your blog. I like the view, too!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: A beutiful look at this area of islands.

shaker said...

Such a peaceful place !!

Reader Wil said...

Lovely to see a world unknown to many of us. Thanks for sharing your world.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful views. I hope to visit your world one of these days too.

antigoni said...

Awesome photos! Excellent post. And i thought i was the only one with computer problems.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Scenic is the word. Lovely virtual tour along the high and low seas. I know all about laptop problems.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you do have a beeyootiful world!

Reader Wil said...

I am glad that we all have to show another world. That makes blogging so interesting. Thank you! Also for your visit.

Peggy said...

Sylvia;

Thank you for bringing back white sands and warm sunshine if only from pictures. I learn something from your blog all the time...I never heard of the Orcas.Now i want to visit!

Great Grandma Lin said...

i've been there-it is lovely in summertime.

Anonymous said...

You live in one of my favourite places, the Pacific North West. Have spent time on Vancouver Island, but must get to see more of the islands. Thanks for sharing.

bobbie said...

Lovely pictures, Sylvia. I wish I could visit your part of the world.

Kathy W said...

I agree with everyone, beautiful photo's. I would love to be there instead of this dreary area here in Oklahoma. =) Hope you have a great day.

Darlene said...

Sylvia, if you keep on posting such enchanting photos of your area you will soon be inundated with visitors.

I have been told that there are castles on one of the islands. Do you know which one? Castles are my passion.

Guy D said...

Those are fantastic shots, I especially love the first one. Thanks for sharing.

Regina In Pictures

mannanan said...

What a fantastic place you live in. Love the solitary gull.Thanks for sharing Your World with us.

Redzlan said...

Great sailing trip. Beautiful world!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful - I've always liked that photo in your header

Arija said...

Great place, much like the islands off Vancouver.

Indrani said...

Thanks really for this lovely trip. Must be an elevating experience cruising there.

Joy said...

Wish I were there! Beautiful!

Sandra said...

These are gorgeous pictures - it looks worth visiting!

Anonymous said...

Great your World. Beautiful shot and report.

Anonymous said...

What lovely pictures of a beautiful place.
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous views Sylvia~

Anonymous said...

Very pretty part of the world. Are there Orcas in the Orcas? (Sorry for the bad pun) Thanks for sharing.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time