I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Young Heroine


Several weeks ago I learned of a wonderful program from Maithri of The Soaring Impulse. For ten dollars I could provide a bed net to help save a child’s life in Africa, to help prevent a child from dying of Malaria. Yesterday I learned about an amazing young girl named Katherine Commale, who by her 6th birthday had raised over $10,000 for Nothing But Nets and now, just two years later, she has raised more than $85,000 to send bed nets to Africa – that’s 8500 bed nets! She has done it all by giving presentations at churches and local schools and creating holiday gift certificates. For her efforts, Katherine has been recognized by The New York Times, CNN, President Clinton and thousands of people across the nation for the work that she does. You can learn more about Katherine’s impressive efforts here. .

Like everyone else these days, I don't have a lot of extra money to spare, but I can give $10 to such a worthy cause with the hope of saving a child’s life. I just wanted to share this wonderful story of an incredible young girl and what she has accomplished. Hopefully, the more people who learn of this program, the more children we can save.

11 comments:

Lilly said...

Fantastic post Sylvia. What a wonderful little girl she is with equally amzing parents. Thanks for posting this.

Reader Wil said...

Thanks Sylvia for this post! In my country we've had an action like that, but not by a single girl. We also collected money for bed nets. Here TV shows are organized to raise the money needed. It's always a great success. This girl is wonderful!

Maithri said...

Isnt she amazing Sylvia ;)

Thank you my friend for sharing the light so generously...

Love and deep blessings,

M

Margie's Musings said...

What a great story! Thanks, Sylvia, for sharing it!

Susan at Stony River said...

Wow, what a kid! It's wonderful to have such stories, especially in these dark winter days. It makes you wonder, 'ok, if a little girl can do so much, what can I do?' and inspires you to really go do it. Brilliant!

bobbie said...

This is such a wonderful thing for a youngster to be doing. A really worthy cause, and it takes so little from each of us. Thanks for spreading the word.

Darlene said...

And a little child shall lead you. Indeed, this girl is a true philanthropist. She makes me ashamed that I have done so little with my life.

Kudos to her and to you for posting this story.

Judy said...

Enjoyed reading about the nets and this little girl and her accomplishments for the children. Very inspiritational post.

maryt/theteach said...

Sylvia, you are very generous and so is that little girl. You and she have made your places in heaven! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sylvia. You never fail to find the good stuff, and pass it on!!

Peggy said...

Your post verifies that our planet will be in good hands . What a wonderful compassionate girl.
Thanks Sylvia

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time