I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How High?

Rush Limbaugh might not be what Rahm Emanuel asserted on Sunday when he said that Limbaugh has become the "voice and intellectual force" behind the Republican Party, but frankly it does seem to be becoming increasingly true. When Limbaugh says jump, Republican officials quickly respond, "How high?"

Georgia Republican, Representative Phil Gingrey, criticized Limbaugh back in January, but then immediately called in to apoligize after receiving a slew of complaints from Rush listeners. And now, after RNC chair, Michael Steele, told CNN over the weekend that Limbaugh is an entertainer who can be "ugly and incendiary", Limbaugh gladly returned the fire. And sure enough the chairman called Limbaugh to smooth things over.

Steele's apology yesterday was the second time he has said something during his month-old chairmanship that he has had to backtrack from. Earlier, in a FOX interview, Steele suggested that the three Senate Republicans who voted for the stimulus -- Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe and Arlen Specter -- would face primary challenges, and left open the possibility that those three might not receive funds from the RNC. But the committee reversed course, telling NBC News Political Director, Chuck Todd, "That the RNC has no intention of getting involved in primaries. We work with state parties to elect Republicans and will continue to do that." To put it kindly, it seems as if Steele has gotten off to a rocky start as RNC chair (as Rush himself said) -- primarily due to a lack of message discipline. And some Republicans might agree with this statement from Limbaugh yesterday: "It's time, Mr. Steele, for you to go behind the scenes and start doing the work that you were elected to do instead of trying to be some talking head media star, which you're having a tough time pulling off."

I find it truely disturbing that a man like Limbaugh has the power that he does. What are people thinking? Or is that the problem -- they're not.

10 comments:

robin andrea said...

That he is the voice of the Repubican Party is about as creepy as it gets.

Rain Trueax said...

It amazes me who the Republicans idolize. You look at their names and what they say and it just makes you wonder who are these Republican supporters. I know who the Limbaughs are but what makes this work for the ditto-heads as the like to call themselves. They are a violent crew and when they express their anger at someone who comes down on their hero, they often do it with violent threats. What is happening in this country or are such people always around in every time and place?

Susan at Stony River said...

Absolutely frightening, if he really has that much influence over the top ranks of Republicans. Maybe that's half their problem these days: if they can't stand up to a loudmouth radio host, why should they be running a country?

I've heard Limbaugh on the radio and think he's horrible.

Dianne said...

when McCain chose Palin it was said it was because she appealed to the republican base. so it would then stand to reason that people like Limbaugh would as well

loud, abrasive, ignorant, hateful, bully, hypocritical, bigoted - this appears to be the republican base

I am hopeful that the course they are taking will cause them to lose intelligent supporters and will hurt their chances in the mid elections and in 2012

TropiGal said...

Rush Limbaugh spends part of his year in this part of the country, in his mansion in Palm Beach. So what does he care if the economy fails.

The analysts on Chris Matthew's Crossfire last night had a different perspective: Rahm, they hypothesized, was crediting Limbaugh with more power than he has a way of undermining the party. This attributes power to an unelected person, suggesting the party itself is bankrupt for leaders and ideas.

I am very disappointed in the excessive spending in Washington. I have little faith that it will solve the nation's economic problems. I am glad to have an administration that is trying to deal reasonably with international friends and foes.

bobbie said...

You're right - they're not thinking.

When I saw, on my reading list, the title and first line of your post on anger management (which has not yet appeared, at least on my screen), I was puzzled until I looked down here and saw Rush's name. That could set anyone off on a need for anger management. Then I tried to make this comment, and Blogger wouldn't let me get on for a very long time, and I am now in possible need of anger management, so I hope your post on it appears soon.

Unknown said...

Did you know that when he is broadcasting they play it over the intercom in many stores in St.Louis?
I grew up in St.Louis, but I now wonder how my friends have such different values.....I just can't stand Rush!

Linda Reeder said...

I was amazed and appalled that Steele would go crawling to Rush for absolution.
Putting Rush as the face of the R's party can only discredit them in the long run.

Rose said...

To think Rush has this kind of power is scary. I listen to a local radio talk show when I'm home in the mornings, and there is a fairly diverse group of listeners who call in. But I'm amazed at all the fanatics who think that Rush's word is the gospel. When Rush's show comes on at 11 AM, I immediately turn the station:)

Tumblewords: said...

I've never been afraid of parties, until now. These people are unmitigated liars and incendiary. With any luck, they'll implode.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time