I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Tale Of Two Parties

Chuck Todd, NBC's Political Director, had some intersting things to say about the latest polls this morning.

To paraphrase Dickens, the last six weeks have been the best of times for Obama and the Democrats, and the worst of times for the Republicans. Just consider the latest findings from the NBC/WSJ poll: Obama's favorability rating is at 68% (an all-time high in our survey), 67% say they feel more hopeful about his leadership, 60% approve of his job in the White House, and 49% have a positive view of the Democratic Party (which is also near a high). On the other hand, just 26% view the GOP positively (an all-time low in the poll), respondents blame Bush and congressional Republicans for most the partisanship in DC, 56% think the GOP's opposition to Obama is based on politics, and Republicans lose by nearly 30 percentage points on the question about which party would do a better job of leading the country out of recession. While we have covered all the new administration's ups and downs, it is absolutely clear which party has suffered the most in public opinion these first six weeks: the GOP. NBC/WSJ co-pollster Peter Hart (D) says Republicans "have been tone deaf to the results of the 2008 election. They never heard the message. They continue to preach the old-time religion." Adds co-pollster Bill McInturff (R), "These are difficult and problematic numbers."

Ironically, Obama's high marks come at a time when Americans are increasingly pessimistic about the state of the economy. Only 7% say they're satisfied about the economy, which is an all-time low in the poll. Moreover, 76% believe the economy still has a ways to go before it hits rock bottom. What's going on here? The public doesn't blame Obama for the economy -- even as critics try to attribute the Dow's decline to Obama, and also even as Obama yesterday gave stock advice (!!!). Per the poll, 84% say Obama inherited this economy, and two-thirds of those people think he has at least a year before he's responsible for it. "That's a long leash," McInturff says. "It normally doesn't last that long. But believe me, that's a good place to start." But McInturff warns that while these numbers suggest a patient public, "Americans are notoriously impatient people." So how long does the honeymoon last if the economy doesn't get better?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder about the honeymoon, too, because impatience is always a looming possibility, but then, these are unchartered waters, so who knows, maybe people will get it that no president comes with a magic wand...

Dianne said...

As much as the Republican antics infuriate me I actually hope they keep it up, I hope they're destroyed in the mid term elections, couldn't happen to a finer group.

I hope people continue to respond to a man who is being honest with them and doing the best he can for the most of them

Mari Meehan said...

Impatience and some very bad decisions are likely to erode those numbers.

Lilly said...

Personally I think the honeymoon period lasts for a bout a year in politics. As long as decisions keep being made about the issues people care about then things will remain positive. It will be tough for this Administration there is no doubt. I notice that Obama has asked our Prime Minister repeatedly now to send troops to Afghanistan. Its horrible.

The impact of what the Bush Administration did to the entire world will last forever.I also have to say that I think Hillary is already doing some great things with her recent travels to Asia. She is one smart lady whatever people like to think of her because of her decision to stay with Bill. I hope she really shows everyone just how talented she is.

Kay said...

It took a 8 years to get this bad so I hope they give this president more slack.

david mcmahon said...

That's some paraphrase. Dickens would be delighted!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time