I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, May 18, 2009

That's My World -- Ballard, WA



That's My World is hosted each week by Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise. Click here to sign up and share your world with us!

Over the past months I have shared wonderful parts of my world in Oregon and Washington -- and many of them are truly awesome, but today I'm going to share the area where I actually live -- Ballard, WA, although it was annexed by Seattle many years ago. But as you will see the people of Ballard were not willing to give up their town.



Shilshole Bay Marina

Ballard today is known for its strong Scandinavian ties and for its character as a small town within the big city. Those reputations spring from its origins as the city of Ballard, Washington, established in 1889.

The city of Ballard prospered primarily because of its lumber and shingle mills along the industrial waterfront. By 1905, more red cedar shingles were being produced in the ten shingle mills here than in any other community nationwide.



Statue of Leif Erikson at Shilshole Bay Marina - a tribute to Ballard's Scandinavian ties.

Only a block from the mills, a bustling commercial district developed along Ballard Avenue. The business district remains largely intact today and has been protected by a Seattle City Ordinance as an Historic Landmark District. Its buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.



Like many small communities on the outskirts of a growing Seattle, Ballard quickly outgrew its resources. Primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle in 1907. But annexation did not put an end to Ballard. The fishing and boat building industries, begun as small family operations, were growing in importance. In 1914, Fishermen's Terminal was established on the south shore of Shilshole Bay. Its facilities continue to grow today to accommodate one of the largest fishing fleets on the West Coast.



This is the new Ballard Library.

The Ballard Locks, built in 1912-1917, and the Ship Canal project (1911-1934), separated forever the fresh water shoreline from the saltwater tide and vastly improved the area for industry, providing livelihoods for generations to follow.



The Ballard Locks

Market Street became the focus of business in downtown Ballard in the 1930's. The Ballard businesses and the community continue to seek improvements for the commercial district, while seeking to maintain a balance of industry, history and community.





Ballard continues to be known for those aspects of its history that gave it its unique flavor - its immigrant heritage, its blue-collar population tied to maritime and lumber industries, and its wide residential community dotted with church spires. As you visit our neighborhood today, you will get an "inside" look at the homes and the people upon whom the community has been built.



This beach is a five minute drive from our house.

37 comments:

JC said...

Wow ... I had no idea you were so close to me. I'm in the Renton Highlands area near Issaquah.

Thanks for the info about Ballard. Driven thru there on the way to the marina.

Taken our boat through the locks several times.

Great Grandma Lin said...

hey, I've been there. while visiting one year I stumbled onto my son who lives in seattle on his lunch break near the locks where we had been sightseeing. What a coincidence in that large city...

Anonymous said...

wow, how lucky you are to live in such a wonderful community! Five minutes from the beach? I am 10 minutes from Pearl Harbor, but it is unswimmable.

pink dogwood said...

Your town is adorable, and I just love the way your library looks.
Five minutes from the beach? I am envious :)

Indrani said...

Lucky you! 5mins near beach!
I live in a concrete jungle.

Utah Savage said...

Lovely post. I'd like Ballard. It has character and by maintaining it's lovely old buildings has a unique look missing from many small communities that have been swallowed by the big cities that eventually gobble them up and change them forever.

Carver said...

Another great series of shots. I like the way you show the town and also the water and landscapes. The variety and details in your posts is great.

Kay said...

Beautiful. We were interested to see that you had a strong population of Scandanavians in your area. We noticed that in Paulsbo and Whidby Island.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I'm always interested to see places that people call their "home".

Anonymous said...

beautiful series of photographs and you are indeed very fortunate to live so very close to the pacific. i so miss the ocean.
have a wonderful monday

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great post and photos. Looks like the kind of place I would like to visit. That library is beautiful!

Susan at Stony River said...

What a history... Sylvia thanks, I enjoyed this post and all the photos!

SandyCarlson said...

I like the homey, old-town aspects of Ballard. The new library is an act of extreme imagination! Lovely place to call home.

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to go to the North West...It's absolutley stunning. Thanks Sylvia...

Jane Hards Photography said...

Ballard looks like a wonderful part of the world. Interesting to see the Scandinavian connections because of the Vikings ones here. I know myself living within reach of a beach is a must to walk of the cares of the world.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Silvia it was very intersting to follow your tour guiding. The new, modern library is very impressive it suits a lively, bustling town, city!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: Thanks for sharing the neat shots of your town. That is wonderful history and I love your library.

Margie's Musings said...

Looks Good! Lucky you!

Loran said...

That looks like a great place to live! And only five minutes from the beach, sigh. The library looks like it's to die for.

david mcmahon said...

I didn't know about the Scandinavian connection. That's fascinating.

MyMaracas said...

I love small, old towns and this one is wonderful. It is clear you love the place. Thanks so much for showing us around and for the great photos!

Arija said...

A wonderful post of your actual surroundings. I like the statur of Leif Erikson among the stones. It is always of great importance for an amalgamated community to retain its identity and pride in its heritage.
Beautiful photos to go with your narrative.

kayleen said...

Oh Sylvia. My "home town". Wonderful photos that evoke so many memories...

But that library. It's a beautiful building, but oh my it doesn't seem to fit with the Ballard of my childhood. I guess I far prefer the old Carnegie library on Market. I remember walking up the creeking steps to the childrens section. Then when I was older being dropped off at the "new" library on 24th on Saturday mornings, while my parents went grocery shopping. Somehow I wonder if that new building will evoke the same memories for a child when they grow up and move far away like I have. Sigh.

I had hoped to get out that way in June, but it's not looking likely at the moment...

Thanks for stopping by

Ebie said...

5 minutes to the Beach? How lucky! Ballard is beautiful.

Joy said...

I want to move there! Love the library and the beauty of your town.

Sally in WA said...

Thanks for the tour of Ballard. I've driven through but never stopped. I never even been to the locks. Shame on me!

Anonymous said...

I like where you live. Thanks for showing us around. Ballard looks like a real neat place - you should show us more!

Vamsee Modugula said...

Wow...you live in such a beautiful place....What a nice series of images and thanks for all that information on Ballard.

Keep up the good work.

Vamsee
http://letsgoforavacation.blogspot.com/

Baruch said...

An interesting variety of photos for MWT

magiceye said...

thank you for the lovely tour of ballard!

Carolyn said...

Wonderful and informative post with beautiful photographs of your lovely community. It is so wonderful when the heritage of a community is strong. Thank you so much for sharing this part of our world with us.
Smiles

Unknown said...

You live in an interesting and lovely town !

I really miss living next to the ocean ... it's a great place to be !

I love that first shot ... so peaceful..

Vagabonde said...

I really enjoyed touring your city with you, it is a lovely place, and so close to a beach. Here we have many lakes close by but the beach is about 5 hours away – in Savannah, with not so much sand. Ballard looks like a great community.

Tammie Lee said...

Wonderful series of images. Thank you for sharing, it makes me want to visit.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you to have such a charming town to call home. That library is just impressive. I'd be a regular visitor, if I live there.

Daryl said...

What a lovely place to live ... I am over from David's to say Congrats on the POTD mention!

Anonymous said...

Here via David.

I really miss living in Seattle and you photo really explain why (we lived in Greenwood). Fortunately I still got a daughter there in Ballard so I have a good excuse to go back!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time