I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, July 24, 2009

There Are Beautiful Souls!

A friend Rhode Island sent this to me and while I have no way of proving that it is for real, I'd like to hope that it is just so I can continue believing that there are these kinds of people in our world today.

It is not known who replied, but there is a beautiful soul working in the dead letter office of the US postal service.



Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words:

Dear God,
Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick. I hope you will play with her. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her You will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.
Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies..' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey &Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,
Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away. Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by. Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I'm easy to find, I am wherever there is love.

Love,
God

19 comments:

Stephen Loucka said...

Thank you for sharing this story. There are angels here on Earth.

Jo said...

Sylvia, I LOVE this story. Thanks... Blessings for a wonderful weekend. Jo

jabblog said...

Wonderful (It made me cry . . . )

Anonymous said...

That brought tears to my eyes. Thank you, Sylvia.

Unseen India Tours said...

Oh so beautiful and cute !! I loved this post honestly..Thanks for sharing..Unseen Rajasthan

Vicki ~ FL said...

Sylvia, I've seen this before and it made me cry then so this time I didn't read it at all for that reason. It's a great story and I would hope that it is true.

bobbie said...

Yes, it made me cry too.

Sunny said...

I sit writing with mascara running, thank you for such a sweet story.
Sunny :)

Ziggy Stardust said...

That is a beautiful story, thank you.

Anne

Cheryl said...

I love a story that makes me cry in a good way. Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Even if this story isn't true, it made me cry. It makes me cry to think how often we don't take the time to really reach out to other souls. And it makes me cry when I learn about the quiet ways that some do reach out. They don't perform these acts for recognition, they just do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

George said...

Beautiful. I also hope it is true.

The Retired One said...

how sweet was THAT?
There are earth angels...you just met one.

Carolyn said...

I am in tears as I write this. I just got an email that the little dog, Shenzi I house/dog sat in Ontario this winter was hit and killed by car last night. The little girl in me says thank you for sharing this story.
Blessings and smiles

Peggy said...

Awe;

Brought a happy tear to my eye!
Thanks you ,
I think God does have a lot of Angels here!

Janie said...

What a great story.

♥ Braja said...

that is wonderful...wonderful, bless that kind person.

Wait...it mighta been God Himself, and He doesn't need blessings....
:)

magiceye said...

this is so touching....

MyMaracas said...

OK, you got me. I'm sitting here with the tears welling up. Thanks so much for sharing this story - and yes, it could be true. I've known some beautiful souls who have done loving things like this for strangers.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time