I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, January 18, 2010

That's My World -- Snoqualmi Falls

Time to share your world and enjoy others as well. That's My World is hosted each week my Klaus and the My World team of Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy and myself. Click on the icon to sign up and share with us the special things in your world. PLEASE! do read and follow the instructions when signing in! Thank you!!

Only about 25 miles from where I live in Seattle is a place called Snoqualmie Falls and any of you who have visited my blog at all have probably seen some of my pictures that I have taken there. My current header pic is one I took there. It is an incredibly beautiful place and I thought I would share with you today.

The history is courtesy of Wikipedia, all the shots are mine except the first one and the winter one which is courtesy of Google.



Snoqualmie Falls is a 268 ft (82 m) waterfall on the Snoqualmie River between Snoqualmie and Fall City, Washington, USA. It is one of Washington's most popular scenic attractions, but is perhaps best known internationally for its appearance in the cult television series Twin Peaks. More than 1.5 million visitors come to the Falls every year, where there is a two acre (8,000 m²) park, an observation deck, and a gift shop. The restaurant there is excellent and their food is delicious, but make sure you're really hungry because the portions are huge!!



Most of the river is diverted into the power plants, but at times the river is high enough to flow across the entire precipice, which creates an almost blinding spray. High water occurs following a period of heavy rains or snow followed by warm rainy weather. This can occur during the rainy season which lasts from November through March. During high water, the falls take on a curtain form.



For the Snoqualmie People, who have lived for centuries in the Snoqualmie Valley in western Washington, Snoqualmie Falls is central to their culture, beliefs, and spirituality. A traditional burial site, to the Snoqualmie, the falls are "the place where First Woman and First Man were created by Moon the Transformer" and "where prayers were carried up to the Creator by great mists that rise from the powerful flow." The mists rising from the base of the waterfall are said to serve to connect Heaven and Earth.



The falls were first nominated for the National Register of Historic Places in 1992 as a traditional cultural property for its association with the beliefs of the Snoqualmie people. However, the property owner, Puget Sound Energy, objected to the listing. The falls were subsequently determined eligible for listing in the National Register. The owners rescinded their objection and on September 2, 2009, the falls were formally listed in the National Register.

41 comments:

Tania said...

Yes, I`ve seen it before, but it`s so wonderful and worth all the pictures! Especially I like the last photo, it`s so beautiful:-)
Have a nice evening! Hugs from Norway!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Beautiful picture. I'm glad the owner decided to play ball.

eileeninmd said...

It is a beautiful falls and your photos are wonderful. Is the restaurant and gift shop in the big building at the top of the falls?

Martha Z said...

We visited there last summer and the water was much lower than in your first photo. I'd love to see it like that and with the ice in the last. I'm always hoping to see such a sight when I hike early or late in the season but it eludes me every time.

Anonymous said...

I could stay ip in that beautiful country and never come out. That waterfall is just beautiful. Boy you are sure lucky to live up in that neck of the woods. Wonderful pictures and thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day. :)

Carver said...

Sylvia the falls are absolutely gorgeous. Great shots and such an interesting post.

Unknown said...

Thanks for reminding me it's Scenic Sunday time. A bit late but I may try to sign up anyway.

Fantastic. Waterfalls are so captivating in any season. I love partially frozen, too. :-)

Marie said...

Awesome this waterfall. Magestic I say.

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

The falls are beautiful, so peaceful.

B i r g i t t a said...

The waterfalls are so beautiful in your photos - very good shots! Love the top one :)

Quilt Works said...

Wow. Fantastic! The waterwall with a reinbow is unbleievable, and the frozen waterfall is so unuseal. Sylvia, you have such beautiful photos, it is always a joy to come here.

Joe Todd said...

No doubt about it a very very special place

Anonymous said...

Interesting post and beautiful photos. I really love the last one.

Janie said...

Beautiful falls! The volume of water is magnificent, and the surrounding scenery is great, too. Glad it's now on the National Registry.

Jane Hards Photography said...

A rainbow and a waterfall now that is just being greedy.

 gmirage said...

It is no wonder that such a beauty gather a large amount of viewers! Wow! Nature at its best!

www.viennadaily.gmirage.com

Unknown said...

I haven't been to Washington in such a long, long time. You are making me want to travel there.

elvira pajarola said...

.....It's just one of my favourite objects....the waterfalls....MAGNIFICIENT..YOUR SHOTS are as beautiful as the others....!

Wonderful...the power of the falling waters is so incredible fascinating...!

Have a very happy Monday, cara Sylvia!
ciao ciao elvira

Anonymous said...

Jawdroppingly stunning. Wow!

My name is Riet said...

What beautiful pictures of the waterfall . Wow. Great shots

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pics. I have a fascination with water falls so enjoyed this post. Have a great week.

Unknown said...

Sylvia, this looks amazing. What a fantastic waterfall.
Have a nice week.

Redzlan said...

Beautiful pictures of Majestic waterfall.

VioletSky said...

Waterfalls are great subjects to photograph - they are always changing.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place, Sylvia. It reminds me of some of the rivers and waterfalls we saw in Alaska.

SandyCarlson said...

Sylvia,
These are gorgeous. Those falls are breathtaking. I swear I feel the spray.

Eden said...

You live in a lovely place close to this magnificent falls. Your pictures are all beautiful and I love them all.thank you for sharing information about it. I enjoyed reading your post.

Have a lovely week!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: What a wonderful place, I've never seen it in its Winter beauty.

alicesg said...

Wow very beautiful waterfall. Love the rainbow cast over teh waterfall. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Have a nice day.

Rajesh said...

Fantastic snaps of the beautiful water falls.

Linnea said...

I've seen photos and heard so much about this waterfall, but I've never been there. Your last shot with the fallen snow and ice formations is amazing. Love the color of the water below the falls; it looks turquoise. Have a great week!

~Cheryl said...

It's been way too long since I've visited the falls. They are beautiful, and your pictures captured them perfectly!

magiceye said...

wow! so beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures of a magical place!

Wolynski said...

Wow, gorgeous photos. I'll have to tour the North West one of these days - it's stunning.

Gattina said...

How interesting and what a gorgeous landscape. I have never been in Washington State, although we have travelled so much through the States in the 90th. I don't know if I told you but my aunt was living in Madison/Wisc and all 2 years we combined a trip trough the States with a stay at her home until she died in 1997. From the Niagara falls through the Yellowstone parc to Utah, Los Angeles and San Fransico we have been at all touristic places :)

kRiZcPEc said...

just beautiful! :)

DeniseinVA said...

Your photos are brilliant and I enjoyed reading its history, especially of the Snoqualme people.

George said...

We're going to have to add this to our list of places to visit. This is a beautiful waterfall.

Irene said...

The falls truly are beautiful and I like the story of the people living by it. Thanks Sylvia.

Kay said...

This is so beautiful, Sylvia. I'd love to see it someday.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time