I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, February 22, 2010

That's My World - Dahlia Festival

That's My World is hosted each week by Klaus and the My World Team, Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy and myself. Each week people from all over the world join us to show the beautiful, interesting and fun aspects of their world. Click on the icon, sign up and share your world with us!



We've had sunshine for the past few days, spring flowers and flowering trees are just beginning to blossom, but not really enough to photograph. So, as I was looking through my photos, I found some real beauties taken by my friends, James and Chiaki from Portland. Last summer they went to the Swan Island Dahlia Festival in Canby, Oregon. They sent me these photos that I want to share with you today. The Dahlia has a very interesting history that I thought you might enjoy as well.



Very little is known about the dahlia prior to the time of the Aztecs. It is said that the Aztecs used parts of the dahlia for food and medicines, but most of this information cannot be verified since much of the Aztec culture was destroyed following the Spanish Conquest.



In 1570 King Phillip II of Spain sent Francisco Hernandez to Mexico to study the natural resources of the country. He stayed for 7 years and described plants that resemble dahlia species under the names, Acocotli and Cocoxochitl. The first drawings were made of the dahlias by an associate who was traveling with Hernandez and were published in 1651. The next time dahlias appear in history is 1789 , the director of the Botanical Garden at Mexico City sent plant parts to Antonio Jose Cavarilles, on staff at the Royal Gardens of Madrid in Spain. From these he grew and flowered 3 new plant forms, Dahlia pinnata, D. rosea, and D. coccinea. He named the genus after Andreas Dahl, a Swedish botanist. Seed and plant parts from Cavanilles dahlias were sent throughout Europe beginning in the early 1800’s. It was during this time that the scarlet Dahlia coccinea was crossed with a mauve-flowered species, possibly D. pinnata, which ultimately resulted in the first modern dahlia hybrid (Lawrence 1929). The new hybrid was easy to grow and hybridize so they quickly became very popular in European and American gardens. Through the 1800’s and 1900’s thousands of new forms were developed, with 14,000 cultivars recognized by 1936 and in the past century, nearly 50,000 named varieties have been listed in various registers and classification lists. All of these dahlia forms were hybridized from at least two, and possibly all three of the original Dahlia species from Mexico. The genus Dahlia consists of 35 species all of which are found in the highlands of Mexico and Central America. Most species have very restricted ranges and are probably rare. Very few are available to the dahlia grower. This is just a brief history, and there is much more information regarding the development of the modern dahlia. Reference: Encyclopedia of Dahlias, by Bill McClaren.






45 comments:

jabblog said...

Very interesting! I would never have associated dahlias with the Aztecs. Still, all that blood would have made good fertiliser ;-)

Unknown said...

Looks like you are dreaming of spring, Sylvia! Dahlias are such lovely flowers!

Anonymous said...

hmmm. They look like chrysanthemums, which are sold in pots in supermarkets in Hawaii.

Anonymous said...

These are all spectacular my friend. How beautiful :)

K. said...

It (Dahlia) even became a name! (Luckily, Hibiscus never caught on.)

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

BOY, did I need that! Thanks so much for these beautiful pictures, too.

I'm a huge fan of the Dahlia. Since I moved up north and can finally have them in my garden again (they couldn't survive in the Florida heat!), as soon as we moved in last Spring I rushed out and bought some big, colorful red and yellows...they bloomed all summer long. Just gorgeous!

bobbie said...

Lovely, lovely photos, and a very interesting history. thank you, Sylvia.

Maude Lynn said...

Fascinating! And, such lovely pictures!

B i r g i t t a said...

This is the flowershow we want to see now :)

Joe Todd said...

A field of flowers.. Send me some LOl

Rajesh said...

Spectacular blossoms, very colorful.

My name is Riet said...

Gorgeous flowers, wonderfully colourful

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: Really nice captures of the Spring flowers to come. I can't wait for Spring.

Carver said...

What a fantastic post to throw off the winter doldrums. I love dahlias and used to have quite a few but lately they haven't come back up. I remember where I planted them and they came up for over ten years but last year I didn't have any. Maybe it's time to start some new ones. I love the variety in this post and also the history.

Anonymous said...

Dahling, such delightful Dahlias and such an interesting history - who knew. Thanks for enlightening me and adding a touch of colour to this grey existence in the last weeks of winter.

Larry said...

Beautiful garden I love it. thanks for dropping by "This Blog of Mine" and leaving your comment I appreciate them
Larry

VioletSky said...

laughing at K!!
flowers have such a rich, amazing history - thanks for the reminder.

antigoni said...

Beautiful flowers!!!
I love all these amazing colours.

Anonymous said...

Never knew those flowers had Aztec origins. Great info and photos. Such cheerful flowers, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

These are lovely, both photos and flowers. I've heard that dahlias are challenging to grow, requiring quite a bit of attention and special care. It must have been a huge undertaking to create such a vast field of blooms.

Barbara said...

My Dad always used to grow Dahlias, I keep thinking I should grow some too, I love the variety of types and colours, thanks for all the info about the origins of these lovely flowers.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I planted a few bulbs a few years ago and they have been blooming for the past three years. I can't wait to see if they will bloom this summer.

Marites said...

they are just so beautiful!! I love all the photos but my fave is the one with the field with colorful flowers. My World entry is here.

Johnny Nutcase said...

gorgeous photos and flower fields! so peaceful! great information too!

lv2scpbk said...

Beautiful flowers. We don't have any yet. It's snowing again today, kind of between light snow and freezing rain.

Darlene said...

Beautiful Dahlias. My grandmother always had Dahlias in her garden and I remember them fondly.

SandyCarlson said...

To see so many of these beauties all at once must be utterly amazing.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great pictures. Flowers is what we need here in February.

Cloudia said...

What an interesting and exhaustive post!

Aloha,

Comfort Spiral

Mare said...

Mexico was in the Soc Studies curriculum that I taught for many years. Now I know something new. I love dahlias.

Unknown said...

I love Dahlia's, they're always so pretty and colourful.

Linda Reeder said...

Dahlias are so beautiful. I grow a few varieties for summer bouquets.
I grew up about five or six miles from that dahlia farm!

Sistertex said...

Gorgeous! I have a couple of months to wait here before we start to see any signs of spring. Can't wait!!!

Jan said...

Sylvia, wonderful photos.

magiceye said...

a beautifully interesting post!

Indrani said...

Such colorful pics, they brightened up my day.
Thank you!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful Sylvia -- your friends are as talented as you are! I never even knew about that festival in Canby.

Benita said...

Beautiful flowers and photos!

Wolynski said...

What beautiful, colorful photos. Never knew the dahlia had such a detailed history - fascinating stuff.

NatureFootstep said...

good to see some flowers :)

Eden said...

Dahlias are beautiful flowers. I have few collection in my ground garden. Great pictures and thank you for sharing the information.

Nessa said...

So absolutely gorgeous and the information very interesting. I am ready for flowers.

RnPB Update

Louise said...

What a place to go! I really love the purple ones (though the peach normally would have been my pick.)

Victoria Tsavdaridou said...

Very interesting post!! I learned many new thinks. Your photos are wonderful, thank you for this colorful post!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers and interesting formation. I was surprised this morning to find a purple iris open in my front yard and another just about to pop. Spring's coming earlier than ever to So Cal.
Hugs and blessings,

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time