I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, October 19, 2009

New Hope for a Cure

I received this from my friend, Sujatha at Blogpourri , this morning and we're both posting the information with the hope of spreading the word of hope for a cure for HIV.

Covalent Immunology Foundation and the Possibility of a New HIV Vaccine
Sujatha at Fluff-n-Stuff asked me to take up a tag about the Covalent Immunology Foundation and the work they are doing to develop a new HIV vaccine. From Sujatha's post:

As Dr. Paul says [the scientist behind the Foundation's work] [...], the 'abzyme' approach to attacking the virus at the special weak point could pave the way to developing a low-cost and highly effective approach to attacking the HIV virus, and in the long run, other deadly or debilitating viruses. (More information is available at the website for the Covalent Immunology Foundation.)

I am not an expert in this field, but just the prospect of progress toward an HIV vaccine seems exciting. I'm not going to tag any particular person, but I hope you will all check out the work of the foundation for yourself and talk about it if you find it worthwhile.

Thank you.

7 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

That does sound exciting. Let's hope. I remember the grim days of AIDS and the quilts and the numbers. And the publicity that made people pay attention.

Christella D. Moody said...

Once you see friends die from the disease you really long for a cure. Sure hope they get one.

Susan at Stony River said...

Oh, Sylvia, what news! I wish I could say I felt joy---but there's only the memories of sitting at friends' bedsides when they'd grown too weak to even smile hello anymore, so I'd just sit while they slept in their morphine, and we were all just waiting there, friends and family together on a bed.

Then months later another friend's vigil... then another. If only cures were retroactive!
:*(

I'll post.

bobbie said...

The thought of a vaccine is really exciting. Sometimes I despair of modern medicine and science, but there is hope!

Sujatha Bagal said...

Thank you so much, Sylvia! I feel deep gratitude for your care and concern and that you take it upon yourself to spread important news items. I later found another article in the New York Times that talked about how important a vaccine is - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/19/opinion/19berkley.html

Cheers and have a great day!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Oh God I hope this is the answer! I lost my nephew in March, such a tragedy, such a terrible way to die. (He went fast.) Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I have family members that will want to know.

Susan at Stony River said...

I posted about it here, and hope others will continue the tag. Thanks again to you and Sujatha!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time