I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, October 31, 2008

A Brighter Day

In four days we will decided who is to lead this country. And it is not just the people in this country who are watching, following every twist and turn of this campaign, right down to the last minute. The whole world is watching and hoping, just as we are.

Obama’s sister once said that, “He can be trusted to be in dialogue with the whole world.” That dialogue not just with Americans, but the rest of the world has been a consistent theme throughout his campaign. Obama sees, understands that we are not all separate entities. Years ago there was a song called “We Are the World” and while I have always felt that was true, never was it truer than it is today.

Obama once told NYT Op-Ed columnist, Roger Cohen: “Part of our capacity to lead is linked to our capacity to show restraint.” Never have we seen this more clearly than during this campaign. While his opponents have ranted and raved and pulled up every possible nasty, negative issue – most with no believable basis whatsoever, Obama has shown consistent restraint, and his opponents have for the most part, defeated themselves. And now when the world teeters on the brink of financial disaster, when more war and terrorist threats are seen on the horizon every day, what we need, what the world needs is a leader who believes in dialogue with those who see the world differently than we do. We need the quiet, steadfast patience and wisdom that this man has already demonstrated. “Temperament does, indeed, trump experience and every instinct of this man, whose very identity represents an act of reconciliation, hones toward building change from the center.”

What we all need today are leaders who inspire all of us to some form of greatness; that help us to see the interconnectedness of all people, races, creeds and colors. Our world is “one” world, we are “one” people and it is time to stop focusing on the differences that divide us and, instead, focus on the commonalities that unite us. That could begin with Obama and not just for our country – he can help us be a beacon to the rest of the world. That requires a vision and unlike many, Barack Obama has a vision.

I fervently hope that we love this country, this world, enough to elect a leader with vision, with hope, with wisdom; a man who can and will lead us to a new and brighter day.

7 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

probably the harder test for everyone is if their candidate doesn't win to support whoever is elected. I know even though I disagreed with Clinton's behavior in office, I still honored the office of president of the USA. On to the vote and then let's all get behind who ever wins and support them. Let's unify America.

Linda said...

More than anything I feel like Obama can lead the country back to civility and stop some of the radical language we're hearing. We can do nothing as a country as long as that continues.

I believe Newt Gingrich with his "Contract with America" began this ugly period and of course Karl Rove took it to a new level.

John McCain's attacks have really increased the divide. We need a calm leader like Obama, not another shoot from the hip, and aim later, like McCain.

Dianne said...

restraint.vision.unity.

how wonderful it would be to feel my leader had all that.

I am hopeful yet anxious for Tuesday.

lin makes a wonderful important point about unifying America but I must be honest and say that should McCain/Palin win I will be a member of every group that fights every single thing they stand for.

I feel I did too little too late with Bush and I won't make that mistake again.

Anonymous said...

I so agree, I hope that the country can come together behind the Office (and hopefully Obama) and help reach out to the world.

Anonymous said...

Now that's it's getting SO close, I find myself getting more nervous.
My blog entry today is also about the world watching us and a quote from an email from a couple that lives in Belgium.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Unknown said...

I guess my two cents about unity is that I firmly believe that McCain is unable to unify us and if he should win, I feel as Di does that I cannot support him, especially since I fundamentally disagree with all of his policies. He is not the right person for the job for many reasons but unification is chief among them. Look at the record number of Republicans supporting Obama!

It's only with Barack that I feel we have a chance and even then, with the election as close as it might be with the popular vote, there are still the elements out there who cry for the undoing of of our country through fear, intimidation, racist, homophobia and hatred.

Great post, Sylvia. Thank you.

Rain Trueax said...

I totally agree. I will be so glad when this election is over and hope we can all come together as a people because divisiveness helps none of us.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time