I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, November 3, 2008

Last Moment Thoughts

Last evening I read the text of the speech that Obama gave on race in Philadelphia some months ago. It moved me as many of his speeches have and I thought it was worth putting a reminder here. I've talked and written a lot lately about the fact that we are one people, one world and how we need to have that view in order to move past all the negatives that have been thrown at us day in and day out for more months than I care to remember. Below are just a few paragraphs from that speech. It's worth reading the entire speech as we wind down this long, ugly campaign.

“We the people, in order to form a more perfect union.”

Two hundred and twenty one years ago, in a hall that still stands across the street, a group of men gathered and, with these simple words, launched America’s improbable experiment in democracy. Farmers and scholars; statesmen and patriots who had traveled across an ocean to escape tyranny and persecution finally made real their declaration of independence at a Philadelphia convention that lasted through the spring of 1787.

The document they produced was eventually signed but ultimately unfinished. It was stained by this nation’s original sin of slavery, a question that divided the colonies and brought the convention to a stalemate until the founders chose to allow the slave trade to continue for at least twenty more years, and to leave any final resolution to future generations.

Of course, the answer to the slavery question was already embedded within our Constitution – a Constitution that had at its very core the ideal of equal citizenship under the law; a Constitution that promised its people liberty, and justice, and a union that could be and should be perfected over time.

And yet words on a parchment would not be enough to deliver slaves from bondage, or provide men and women of every color and creed their full rights and obligations as citizens of the United States. What would be needed were Americans in successive generations who were willing to do their part – through protests and struggle, on the streets and in the courts, through a civil war and civil disobedience and always at great risk - to narrow that gap between the promise of our ideals and the reality of their time.

This was one of the tasks we set forth at the beginning of this campaign – to continue the long march of those who came before us, a march for a more just, more equal, more free, more caring and more prosperous America. I chose to run for the presidency at this moment in history because I believe deeply that we cannot solve the challenges of our time unless we solve them together – unless we perfect our union by understanding that we may have different stories, but we hold common hopes; that we may not look the same and we may not have come from the same place, but we all want to move in the same direction – towards a better future for our children and our grandchildren.

This belief comes from my unyielding faith in the decency and generosity of the American people. But it also comes from my own American story.

I am the son of a black man from Kenya and a white woman from Kansas. I was raised with the help of a white grandfather who survived a Depression to serve in Patton’s Army during World War II and a white grandmother who worked on a bomber assembly line at Fort Leavenworth while he was overseas. I’ve gone to some of the best schools in America and lived in one of the world’s poorest nations. I am married to a black American who carries within her the blood of slaves and slaveowners – an inheritance we pass on to our two precious daughters. I have brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, uncles and cousins, of every race and every hue, scattered across three continents, and for as long as I live, I will never forget that in no other country on Earth is my story even possible.

It’s a story that hasn’t made me the most conventional candidate. But it is a story that has seared into my genetic makeup the idea that this nation is more than the sum of its parts – that out of many, we are truly one.

And those are Obama's words that I would leave with you on this day before perhaps the most important election of our lifetime. This is our chance to restore honor to our country and hope not only here, but around the world -- a world that is watching eagerly with the same hope that each of us share. The hope for a new day, a new beginning, for us and for the world.

7 comments:

Ugich Konitari said...

This is truly the most important election ever, for Americans. Obama shines so steadfast and bright through his speeches, and although I am not an American, I am glad i read that. We all hope and pray that he wins.

bobbie said...

This election is our most important. It is also vitally important for the whole world, and they are watching us. I pray we do not let them down as well as our children and grand children.

Great Grandma Lin said...

we'll soon know the outcome. my prayers and vote are with obama...

Dianne said...

Amen Sylvia!

Kate said...

Although not American, I too say Amen! Love Kate x.

Mojo said...

Much of what you wrote here is the same as the speech the Senator delivered at the rally I attended here in Raleigh last week. And reading it -- while compelling -- does not compare at all to hearing the words from the man himself.

By this time tomorrow, the die will have been pretty well cast. And like most of you I will be anxiously watching, waiting to see if the change we are all so hungry for, that we have dreamed of is about to unfold.

storyteller said...

An excellent reminder on this day before the Election … even though many of us have already cast our ballots! An Obama ad during the View today where he simply outlines what he'll do as President was most compelling as well.

I suspect I won’t be the only one watching the election results tomorrow night more closely tonight than ever before.
Hugs and blessings,

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time