I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Look Back

For reasons that are unimportant, I found myself looking back to a difficult time in my life as I was attempting to adjust to growing older, not working and wondering just what in the hell I was doing or even trying to do. Several years ago I had taken the train to California to spend Christmas with my daughter. It was a good visit and I was in a good mood when I took the bus from Santa Rosa to Martinez where I would catch the train back to Portland -- where I was living at the time.

Well, as luck would have it, a train had been derailed near Los Angeles and the train that I was waiting for was going to be delayed a number of hours -- as in six to eight! But that night I happened to meet another passenger whose name was Esther and we began to talk as we looked for some way to make the hours pass a little more quickly.

We ended up talking a lot about our lives, what we had done, what we hadn't done etc. and at one point, just before we finally boarded our train to Oregon, she looked at me almost wistfully and said, "you should write the story of your life." I just shook my head and smiled -- who would want to read it, I thought.

I never saw Esther again although we did correspond for a while. But later as I continued to struggle to find that place, that comfort zone, I thought again about what she had said.

This is a piece that I wrote about that time for my first blog that I lost in cyber world and wasn't able to regain.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I have enjoyed my life, but for a few years I think I lost the ability to really appreciate it. After my encounter with Esther I began to take stock and do some re-evaluating. I have done a lot of things over the years and most of them were interesting, some exciting, a few scary, some costly and some just plain desperate. At the time it was hard for me to be objective, and looking back it seemed that being ready and willing to reach for the proverbial stars may have created an interesting life, but more often than not it had spawned concern, criticism, exasperation and condemnation – first from my parents, then friends – not to mention my ex-husband and four children. But perhaps that’s the cost of living an “interesting life”.

Over the past several years I have met a number of people who have said much the same things that Esther did six years ago and I have found myself looking in the mirror, trying almost desperately to see the person these people believed me to be.

And now in the summer of 2008 I find I have spent a considerable amount of time reflecting on some of these conversations, my life in general and why I so often see that wistful look in a lot of older women’s eyes. What I have discovered is that too many women from my generation were taught more about caution than taking chances, about being safe rather than seeking to explore or try new things, and for the most part, they were certainly no encouraged to find new ways of looking at themselves or the world.

As a result of all this I’m rediscovering a feeling of gratitude for the things I have done and as a reminder for future dark times, I began making a list. For starters, in my twenties I worked for an airline and took advantage of cheap travel opportunities to spend a lot of time exploring the East coast, particularly New York City and Boston. I enjoyed a Mardi Gras in New Orleans, a romantic weekend in Boston watching Harvard and Yale play football with a handsome Navy lieutenant that I had met in New Orleans during that same Mardi Gras. I returned to college when I was twenty-eight and became a teacher. I married an Olympic Silver Medalist and later when he returned from Vietnam, we lived in Germany and Spain for three years. At a formal ball following a fencing tournament in Heidelberg, which my husband’s team won, I was toasted by and invited to dance by the Commander of the French armed forces in Germany at the time. A “Cinderella moment” to be sure. We sailed among the Greek islands and visited temples in Delphi and saw the site of the original Olympics. I gave birth to four healthy, incredible children and adored being a full time mom in Montana. Of having the adventure of traveling with my family in our Winnebago up and down the entire west coast and Canada. Much later I cruised the Western Caribbean, marveled at Chichen Itza and learned how to snorkel off the coast of Cozumel. I lived for a year in San Miguel de Allende, a 450 year old Colonial City in the mountains of Central Mexico where I had the opportunity of watching their version of the running of the bulls, exploring the other colonial cities with a wonderful guide, enjoying fabulous food, meeting many delightful people and learning to speak Spanish with relative fluency. I took up ballroom dancing in my sixties and learned to dance a wicked tango. Over the years I have worked at a number of interesting jobs in addition to teaching. I helped to set up one of the first Independent Living Centers in Montana and was able to be on the ground floor of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company that was building it’s first plant in the states and learning to speak Japanese while I was at it.

I was always willing to take chances, try new things, and even pursue the dream of maybe some day being a writer – in spite of the odds against success. None of these things are out of reach to anyone, but unfortunately the emphasis was always put on the dangers of falling on your face rather than the excitement of discovery. And the consequences of failure were painted pretty graphically. Granted, you do run the risk of stumbling and/or falling on your face – I can testify to that, but you just pick yourself up and try a different strategy and do it again. Failure isn’t the end of the world, just the possible beginning of a new one. I think many of us were more or less victims of our parent’s “Depression mentality”. Caution, being sensible, that was the advice – well, a little of that is good, but a little goes a long way.

But that same spring there was something else that crept into my mind as I sat around watching Oregon’s eternal rain and reflecting – I was on my own, had been for over twenty years and sometimes I would find myself looking at other women with their husbands and homes and security and for a moment I’d feel just a little wistful myself. But then when I talked to many of these women -- not all -- or overhear their conversations, I’d discover that many of them only remained married to their husbands out of fear of being alone, not because they loved and were loved with joy and passion (yes, passion at our age is possible), and not because they actually shared their life with their best friend, but more often than not it is just to keep from being alone. I don’t know about you, but I find that pretty sad. I don’t object to my own company that much and I don’t feel that alone. I guess for me the worst thing would be feeling that I’d settled for second best and I’m willing to bet it’s less than what most people, men or women really want.

There are times, however, when in spite of filling your life with wonderful and exciting things, you can find yourself floundering in a quagmire of some kind and you’re not exactly sure just why or how you got there. That’s where I’ve found myself when I first met Esther and the question I wanted to throw at her was: “Yeah, a great life, but look at where I am now.” Some days it’s hard to see these situations as just another challenge, but I’m beginning to realize that’s all they are and I’m climbing out of this hole just like I’ve climbed out of the others in the past. The rocky cliffs to scale and the cavernous caves to crawl out of are just put there to make the journey interesting. I’ve always wanted it all – I haven’t changed in spite of skinned dreams and bruised hopes.

Looking back to September 11, I remember thinking that it was a wake up call to all of us who are wasting time with things, jobs, or partners that don’t fill the empty spaces inside. But maybe the worst of all is fretting over the past – it’s dead, folks, hang a wreath on it and move on. We’re each given one life, one opportunity to make it the best it can be and that’s going to mean something different to everyone, but the important thing is to not waste anymore time in finding just what it is that lights your fire. It’s reassuring to realize that the joy of discovery and self-realization is possible at any age and it has helped me reaffirm my belief that it doesn’t matter if I’m late getting to the station or that this may be the last train, it’s not leaving without me.

20 comments:

Linda Pendleton said...

Sylvia,
You are not alone in finding a new understanding, a new expression of who you are. I think that is the evolution of life, and finally, even at an older age, we come to recognize what seems like for the first time, who we really are. As I wrote recetnly on my blog, I love the words of Adam Lambert, American Idol runner-up, "I am who I am." He discovered that at 27 and for some of us to embrace who we are, is exciting. My husband passed in 1995 and in these years since, I have discovered I am just fine. And I am not about to give up "me" to be with someone.

bobbie said...

Sylvia, the summary of your experiences during your lifetime leaves me breathless. I do understand that wistful look from other women when they hear your story. I don't believe I share that particularly, but I too was always taught caution. I rarely listened to that admonition, but because of lack of funds, seem never to have learned how to physically accomplish my dreams or my urge toward adventure. Never mind. I did accomplish much of it, and in the end, I feel I was able to realize the rest through my youngest child, with or without funding. - Did I say "end"? Haven't reached that yet. But I'm almost there.

Alyssa Ast said...

All I can say is WOW! Now that is a book I would read.

Unknown said...

Sylvia,

At 35 years old, I almost feel as if I'm intruding here...But your life experiences are magnificent, as well as inspirational to younger generations.

What I'm taking from this post is life is what you make of it...We're all captains of our own vessels. We only get one go around...So get out and LIVE. Try living life with an open heart and mind, and experience new and foreign things. And most of all...Do not fear failure. "Failure isn’t the end of the world, just the possible beginning of a new one..." Wise words from a wise soul. Thank you Sylvia...Life is good.

JJ

Unknown said...

Oh yeah...I'd love to read your life story :)

JJ

Susan at Stony River said...

Sylvia. WRITE the book! Too many memoirs are just stories about other lives, which may or not be interesting, but you've got the insights and perspective that makes your story not just interesting, but makes it deeply matter for the rest of us. This is the single most inspiring post I've read in a long long long while. Thanks for making a great morning--I feel like *starting* something!

Anonymous said...

Sylvia, you are not alone. You have your children. Pity my sister who is estranged from her son. He will have nothing to do with her. He won't allow his sister to tell her what he is doing.

Sad.

Darlene said...

Sylvia, you said so beautifully many things I wanted to say. Yes, do write that book.

You have led a fantastic life and have many stories to tell. And I love your use of words - skinned dreams and bruised hopes - a priceless phrase.

Sylvia K said...

Gigi,
I've rarely felt alone and this was not about feeling alone, although all of us do now and then. This was about finding a new place at a new phase of my life.
My heart aches for your sister, that has to be the most painful thing in the world and I'll hold good thoughts for her and for you.

Sylvia

Rain Trueax said...

You said here what I told my daughter when she was in college and trying to debate whether to major in anthropology to become an archaeologist. She said there aren't many jobs. I said somebody gets those jobs. If it's what you want to do, go for it.

She did and she had those experiences rather than playing it safe. As her mom when I would hear later about a few of her experiences that were dangerous, I'd suck in a breath but was always glad that she followed her dream.

I guess today that is harder for young people in an economic market that is more troubled. Some though will always do what they wish and others wish they had. I wanted to live my own life, not someone else's idea of what that should be and am glad my kids did that.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

My Aunt stayed with her husband although he was horrible to her, indifferent, cheating, that kind of thing. She died at 62 in her sleep. Just weeks before she had told my mother that she was just too afraid to be alone, and that's why she couldn't leave him. My mother always said that her sister died of a broken heart.

I'd rather be alone than stuck sleeping in a bed with a man I no longer respected or loved. And her heart stopped beating and she died in her sleep, right there beside him. So sad.

Great blog. Got me to thinking...

wispy willow said...

I love everything you had to say on this post, Sylvia. I loved what Susan had to say to you... and what Rain had to say as well.
Well... truth be told, your post seemed to bring out the best in many of your followers. All of the comments were a good read.

But YOU!! You are something special. It's amazing how uplifting it is to get to know someone and learn to appreciate what they've lived through that has made them the people that they are.

My mother used to tell me to try things. Her expressions were, "If you're going to miss the bus, you might as well miss it running after it as standing at the stop watching it drive away." And, "A man who falls down always gets up faster than a man who lays down". It helped to counter soime of my dad's attitudes.

My dad didn't believe that woman needed an education. They needed to marry a good man, take care of him and his home and he would provide for me in return. I wanted to go to college, but daddy thought I'd be better off going to beauty school or something along those lines and just preparing myself to be a good wife and mommie. I didn't get married until I was 31. The purpose of telling you all of this is just tp say that I know what you mean about women of our era not being encouraged to be all that they could be. What a sad thing that is. I rebelled and became somewhat of an "Auntie Mame" figure... wierd!

You have some wonderful memories to share, but, most importantly, you seemed to gather some valuable lessons from your experiences. I would love to read more!!! How about giving us a few more installments?

Roshni said...

Sylvia...how you have lived!!
Such beautiful, exciting memories to hold on to! And, the best is your four miracles..the children you apparently could not have!!

I'm so glad to have met some one like you, Sylvia!! You SHOULD write a book.

nonizamboni said...

I so enjoyed reading your words and can identify--not with having such a rich life as you've had but how it feels to be where we are in our life. . .now. Thanks for your honesty and encouragment- the excitement of discovery. I am reading a book called Forward From Here by Reeve Lindbergh, Ann Morrow Lindbergh's daughter, about this very subject. She said her mom had two hand stitched banners across the doorway to her dining room that said: Time Flies! and the other: Its never too late!
Take heart, my friend.

Chris said...

What a great post about discovery. You should enter this in Brandi's "becoming you" contest going on right now.

http://brandisexcessbaggage.blogspot.com/2009/05/becoming-you-contest.html

Marites said...

Beautifully written and really, you lived a full life. I admire your adventurousness and spunk. I think, to live a full life, sometimes we got to throw caution a bit and have faith. I myself have thought same thoughts you've had being still single but also like you, i'd rather be alone than lonely with someone.

Sujatha Bagal said...

Sylvia, what a wonderful post! It is a privilege to know you (limited as the contact may be) and to read this. It is beautifully written and written with the weight of experience, which is what makes it so valuable. Will think about this for a long time. I agree with many of the things you say here and I wish, too, like Esther, that you would consider writing about your life in longer pieces.

Indrani said...

Amazing life story and even this roughly sketched outline had me reading from first till last, with pauses, trying to visualize you through out.

Write Sylvia, WRITE.

Lilly said...

Beautifully written, why dont you start your story on your blog? One a week or so wrie another chapter of your life. And before you know it you have an outline maybe? You have a great story to tell. I would love to read it too. I would like a closer look at the Syliva we have all come to love.

magiceye said...

brilliant as usual in clarity of thought and lucidity of words..

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time