I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Looking Back - Part 4 - Discovering Another Side

Sunday morning I was reading a post written by Lin of Letters from Lin in which she wrote about being a dancer in her younger days and the companies she had danced with, the ballets she had performed in during that time. Her post brought back a lot of memories for me as well. Memories about fun things I did in my twenties – as I’m sure many of you can do as well.

When I was in my early twenties and living in Dallas, Texas, working and wondering what else I would like to do with my life I became friends with a young woman originally from Germany. She was involved in a theater group, I got curious and began going to the theater with her. I had no interest in acting -- well, maybe it was more a lack of confidence than a lack of interest, but I did think it was fun working back stage, helping the actors with their lines, being available backstage to prompt them during a performance. It wasn’t long before I could recite the entire play from memory.

The group was performing a play called “The Fantastiks” – their spelling, not my typo – and some of you may have seen it at one time. It was on Broadway and was later made into a movie. It was winter and there was a wild flu bug going around and the girl who had the leading female role in the play got sick just before the weekend performance. We had a sold out house and no one to take her place.

I arrived at the theater early that evening – for whatever reason, and found the director waiting for me in the lobby. He told me that I knew all of her lines, her costumes would fit me and he needed me to get back stage and get dressed. I was stunned, I was terrified, I was excited as he and the stage manager hustled me back to the dressing room.

The performance went quite well and when the final curtain fell, the director came out to tell the audience what had happened and he brought me out on the stage. The applause was mindboggling as I received a standing ovation and then three bouquets of flowers. And that was the beginning of one more era of my life.

About that same time Baruch Lumet – the father of the Hollywood director, Sidney Lumet –was volunteering at the same theater, teaching acting classes and I began attending. I slowly began to lose my Texas accent – it didn’t go away completely, but at least most people never guessed that I had been born and raised in Texas. I continued to be very active in the theater group for several years.

The director with whom I had worked with originally called on me several times to perform in various theater projects of his and in the spring of 1961 he was putting together a musical review for a local coffee house – we had those back then rather than just bars – and they offered musical entertainment of various kinds six nights a week. I was preparing to return to the university by then and was trying very hard to stash enough money away to pay for my first year tuition when my director friend approached me, told me what his plans were for the coffee house and asked if I’d be interested in performing with the group. When he told me what they were willing to pay, my decision was a no brainer. If I performed through the summer, I’d have enough to pay for more than my first year. Needless to say, I accepted the offer and prepared to start summer school at the same time.

It was a wild summer to say the least. I was taking three classes – the first one at seven in the morning. I was home by noon, had to tackle the homework and be at the theater by eight in the evening. I usually got home between one and two in the morning, slept four hours and got up in time to drive thirty miles to Denton, Texas where the University of North Texas is located.

The show was going on tour in the fall and I was asked to join them, but I had to say no, I had determined that I was very serious about finishing my degree and besides I’d lost so much weight, they were having to continually alter my costumes and I figured it was time to quit.

I never regretted my decision, but it was a truly fun and exciting time in my life and I felt -- still do, that it was the beginning of a whole new take on life, on me and what I was capable of achieving.

It frequently seems that too much of the time we tend to focus on the bad periods in our lives rather than the good. But for a change, this has been a fun-look back today, to a creative, rewarding time in my life. I believe we all have those good memories of some kind. I also feel that we should be willing to look back, to search for them and keep them around to remind us during the bad times of the joy, the fun, the fulfillment we have enjoyed in the past. And a big thanks to Lin for reminding me to do just that.

14 comments:

Wolynski said...

You were in the Fantasticks? Cool. I saw that in the Village in New York years ago in the theater where it had been running for a 100 years.
You can't go back to when you were young. A lot of things happened, especially for a woman, because people fancied you - it's the truth. You used your youth and womanly wiles to meet interesting people. But now...

James said...

I really enjoy reading your story Sylvia. I look fowrd to the next chapter.

Susan at Stony River said...

What a splendid way to earn college money! It sounds like a wonderful summer (remembering how easy it was to go without sleep in my twenties!)

Theatre is fantastic. We had a wonderful programme here last year, drama lessons for autistic kids. If only it could be a regular thing; it really boosts their confidence and gives so much.

bobbie said...

what a fun time! I was always in drama club, and in one stupid high school play,but mostly I always liked working backstage too. And I really enjoyed the plays (mostly Shakespeare) that we saw at the Hedgerow Repertory Theater.

George said...

What a fascinating story. It certainly gives you some wonderful memories. I worked backstage with the drama group when I was in college, but I never had any desire to perform. But it certainly was a wonderful experience.

Maria Berg said...

Thank you for charing that with us, I like ready about the fist time you were on stage - You have to bee at special places and have connections and thing happens to you - sometime it take only a few day sometime it takes years.

Maria Berg, Sweden

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Sylvia! You are right about remembering the good times, the joyful times. We should spend less time thinking about the sorrowful times in our lives.

I was Assistant Coordinator at a public high school performance arts center for a year. Interesting experience. There were so many very talented students from all over the island who performed in musicals and plays at the school. That was a pleasant memory!

maryt/theteach said...

Sylvia, thanks for telling that story. I love learnning more about my blogger friends! :)

Mari Meehan said...

Wow, one of my favorite bloggers in one of my favorite productions! "Try to remember the kind of September, when life was slow, and oh, so mellow..."

Darlene said...

Sylvia, you have led such an interesting life. I love hearing about it.

My theatrical experience was being in the 9th grade play and in a High School production. The last was a horrible experience as my grandmother packed my costume and forgot part of it. I had to wear a coat during the entire 3 acts. How humiliating.

Roshni said...

Sylvia dearest,
you simply must write your book now! Everyday, I read something about you which I think is truly amazing and I figure, a book should hopefully hold together all that excitement of a full life!!

Linda Reeder said...

Great story, Sylvia. I have no acting or dancing talent to reveal. My story is really of a late bloomer who finally found her voice at age 40. I found myself in the position of moderating a large, emotionally charged community meeting on a school related topic. It could have easily become an ugly mess, but I kept my cool and kept control of the meeting, not because it was my job, but because in the absense of anyone else stepping up, I did. After that, there was no stopping me. Everyone knew where I stood on the issues that came along.

Bagman and Butler said...

Wonderful story...what a great surprise...tag you're it!

magiceye said...

that was so much fun!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time