I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, November 2, 2009

That's My World - Glacier National Park

Time once again to share the beauty of our world, a meme hosted each week by Klaus and the My World Team, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy, Louise and myself. Over a hundred people are sharing their world and we're hoping many more will join us. Click on the icon, follow the directions, sign up and share the beauty!

A few weeks ago my son, Adam, returned to Great Falls, Montana, the town where he was born and grew up. I did a post on Great Falls a few weeks ago and it triggered lots of memories. Not the least of these was our almost yearly trip in our motor home to Glacier National Park, a truly breathtakingly beautiful place that never failed to inspire all of us. So, thanks to Google and Wikipedia I was able to find some history and gorgeous photos which I'm sharing with you today. Enjoy!

Glacier National Park is located in the U.S. state of Montana, bordering the Canadian provinces of Alberta and British Columbia to the North and the Blackfeet Indian Reservation to the East. Glacier National Park contains two mountain ranges (sub-ranges of the Rocky Mountains), which are sometimes referred to as the southern extension of the Canadian Rockies.





According to archeological evidence, Native Americans first arrived in the Glacier area some 10,000 years ago. The earliest occupants with lineage to current tribes were the Salish, Flathead, Shoshone and Cheyenne. The Blackfeet arrived around the beginning of the 18th century and soon dominated the eastern slopes of what later became the park, as well as the Great Plains immediately to the east. The park region provided the Blackfeet shelter from the harsh winter winds of the plains, and supplemented their traditional bison hunts with other game meat. Today, the Blackfeet Indian Reservation borders the park in the east, while the Flathead Indian Reservation is located west and south of the park. When the Blackfeet Reservation was first established in 1855 by the Lame Bull Treaty, it included the eastern area of the current park up to the Continental Divide. To the Blackfeet, the mountains of this area, especially Chief Mountain and the region in the southeast at Two Medicine, were considered the "Backbone of the World" and were frequented during vision quests. In 1895, Chief White Calf of the Blackfeet authorized the sale of the mountain area, some 800,000 acres (3,200 km2), to the U.S. government for $1.5 million with the understanding that they would maintain usage rights to the land for hunting, etc as long as the ceded stripe will be public land of the United States. This established the current boundary between the park and the reservation.

Lake McDonald.






While exploring the Marias River in 1806, the Lewis and Clark Expedition came within 50 miles (80 km) of the area that is now the park. A series of explorations after 1850 helped to shape the understanding of the area that later became the park. George Bird Grinnell came to the region in the late 1880s and was so inspired by the scenery that he spent the next two decades working to establish a national park. In 1901, Grinnell wrote a description of the region, in which he referred to it as the "Crown of the Continent", and his efforts to protect the land make him the premier contributor to this cause. A few years after Grinnell first visited, Henry L. Stimson and two companions, including a Blackfeet Indian, climbed the steep east face of Chief Mountain in 1892.

Lake Grinnell



Big Horn Sheep



The Going to the Sun Highway! Do click on this one to embiggen so you get a better view of this magnificent highway through Glacier National Park.

49 comments:

jabblog said...

Glorious post Sylvia! What a wonderful place to visit - those views are just breathtaking. Thank you for sharing :-)

Anonymous said...

That photo of Lake McDonald is really beautiful. Love the reflection in the water.

Peggy said...

Just spectacular....you added so much extra facts then The National Parks series did! Loved the history and the pic.!!!

nsiyer said...

Sylvia, I have been out of circulation for sometime. I will start posting shortly. The pics are beautiful especially I fell for Lake Mcdonald.

Chubby Chieque said...

Am so fascinated with all your shots. The nature really speak the beauty of the original things around.

Sorry, am late and didn't showed up couple of Sunday's for my SS. So busy and when I have time, I only read all my friends posts.

Hope you're in the best of everything.

HUGS!

Susan at Stony River said...

Sylvia, those places are so beautiful they hardly seem real. I can't imagine standing there and being surrounded by such splendour.

Thanks for sharing it!

abb said...

What incredible photos, Sylvia! Visiting this glorious park is definitely on my bucket list!

Guy D said...

Incredible photos once again Sylvia, the reflection in the third one is one of the best Ive ever seen.

Bravo
Guy

Carver said...

This was a great post. The photographs were stunning and so much good information you included.

Eve said...

What a gorgeous area! I was there once, but it was so long ago. I'm convinced now that it's time for a return trip!!

bobbie said...

glorious country! and your pictures are so beautiful, as always. we do have a beautiful land!

Dirkjogt said...

Wow! Breathtaking pictures!!

Marie said...

Awesome shots of a wonderful part of the world. Thanks for sharing it :-)

Jane Hards Photography said...

These really are amazing. How insignificent we are when we see what was here before us and long after we leave.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful World. Love Lakes shots.
Luiz Ramos

Unknown said...

I haven't been to Glacier National Park in years so thanks for the memories!

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

It all looks absolutely beautiful, Sylvia. And you have selected some stunning photographs to illustrate it. I love the one with the clouds reflected so clearly on the water. You're blessed to have this not so far away from you to visit.
Janice.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: It is hard to choose a favorite but that photo on the boat dock is outstanding.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

Wow glorious is the right word ---what a cute kid and what sharp vibrant colors --such nice shots.

Maia T said...

What an amazing part of the world.
Thanks for sharing these amazing photos and information.
The Lake McDonald photo, with those incredible reflections, is my favorite. It looks like a wonderful painting.

Sistertex said...

Wow - gorgeous! Especially loved the one with the clouds reflecting so perfectly in the lake. Very nice.

Elaine Yim said...

All the pictures are spectacular and breathtaking. It makes me love the mountains even more. I want to go there one day.

Martha Z said...

You gathered some beautiful photos and great information.
The first time we visited Glacier it was towards the end of a trip that included Grand Teton and Yellowstone. It rained every day. When we got to Glacier it was so cloudy we couldn't see anything. We drove through without stopping and went home.
Years later we had better luck and I would like to go back yet again.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sylvia that is a place I want to go! Thanks for sharing it with me/us! :)

Chris said...

What a fantastic place and your shots are amazing, I love the one with reflections.

Snap said...

WOW! Thanks for the trip to Glacier National Park -- spectacular!

Anonymous said...

True magnificence. One for the 'must do' list. Thanks for sharing.

Great Grandma Lin said...

interesting history and greats photos.

Anonymous said...

Another of the world's most beautiful places I hope to see someday. I'm jealous of such a good, close photo of the goats. I don't think I have a single one in which they look much larger than dots.

Jossie said...

What a breath taking scenery. And thank you for telling us about the history of the place.

Jossie
http://caughtbymycamera.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I have an uncle that has been all over the world, he's visited The Alps, The Himalayas, The Andes, and he says that Glacier National Park is the MOST beautiful place on earth. I still haven't been there. Gotta go! Lovely pics Sylvia, great post!

Irene said...

Good morning Sylvia. Spectacular views and interesting to read the history of the area.

Inday said...

I'm simply gobsmacked! I can't get enough and seemingly short of words. Awesome blessings! Thanks Ma'am Sylvia for the history lesson for today.

Christella D. Moody said...

Glacier National Park--always one of my favorite places. Thanks for bringing back fond memories.

K. said...

One of the most visually spectacular places I've ever seen, on a par with the Grand Canyon and Big Sur. We took one of our last family road trips there -- our boys absolutely loved it. I still remember the talent show given by the student employees at one of the lodges.

Oman said...

oh wow. my jaw just dropped. really amazing nature pics.

Unknown said...

Wow !!! How I wish we have such a beautiful scenery here in my world.
Thanks for sharing.

magiceye said...

thank you for the lovely images and interesting history of Glacier National Park

My name is Riet said...

Such beautiful pictures. When enlarged they are even more stunning. WOW

Lew said...

Again, a great post of a beautiful part of the US! The views of Glacier Park are stunning.

Anonymous said...

Would LOVE to visit Glacier National Park one day. Was just at the Canadian Rockies this summer. We initially planned on doing Glacier and Waterton. This definitely confirmed that we should!

Joe Todd said...

As far as the photos go they are all my "favorites". Thanks for a great post.

Carolina said...

What a gorgeous, breathtaking place. And full of history. Love it!

Lee Spangler said...

Tahnks for the wonderful history on Glacier. I've been to Montana only once and you've made it important that I explore Glacier someday. A really worthy post. Btw, my son's named Adam too!

Gattina said...

Beautiful pictures and interesting post ! We drove through this area years ago, at that time I didn't take any pictures, because it was too complicated, but I did videos with these huge video cameras with casettes in !

Tes said...

Your photos are breath-taking, Sylvia! Amazing capture. Postcard-perfect. You are so fortunate to be able to experience such places! Thanks for sharing!

Della said...

Absolutely stunning och so interesting.

Kathie Brown said...

Sylvia, all beautiful. I want to drive on that "going to the sun" highway!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning photos! Breath taking!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time