I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Christmas 2011 -- Birth of a New Tradition!

 As you know, I try not to use my blog for politics or even social issues as a rule, but a friend sent this to me and it surely resonated with me, so I decided to share it! Some great ideas for the holidays!!
As the holidays approach, the giant Asian 
factories are kicking into high gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles 
of cheaply produced goods --merchandise that has been produced at the expense
 of American labor. This year will be different. This year Americans will give
the gift of genuine concern for other Americans. There is no longer an excuse 
that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by American 
hands. Yes
 there is!!
It's 

time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt
box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper?  Everyone -- yes EVERYONE
 gets their hair cut. How about gift certificate from your local American hair
salon or barber? 
Gym membership? It's
appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.
Who wouldn't

 appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American owned detail shops and
car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift
certificates.
Are you one of those extravagant givers
 who think nothing of plonking down the Benjamines on a Chinese made
flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift  receiver would like his driveway
 sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games
at the local golf course.
There are a bazillion owner-run
restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen 
breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting
 your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their 
doors open.
How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or 
motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?
My computer could use a tune-up, and I

KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up

and running.
OK, you were looking for something more

 personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves.

They make jewelry, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes.
Plan your holiday outings at local, owner

operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out

to see a play or ballet at your hometown theatre.
Musicians need love too, so find a venue
 showcasing local bands.
Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to 
buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five

 dollar string of light, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have

 those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice

 BIG tip.
You see, Christmas is no longer about 
draining American pockets so that China can build another glittering 
city. Christmas is now about caring about US, encouraging American small
 businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care 
about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come 
back to us in ways we couldn't
 imagine.


 THIS is the new American Christmas tradition.
This is a revolution
of caring about each other, and isn't 
that what Christmas is about?


13 comments:

Unknown said...

Sylvia, I also try not to use my blog for politics issues but sometimes you just can't help it. Very wise post and, actually, very appropriate for every western countries, I suppose.

George said...

What a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Maude Lynn said...

What great ideas! I love it!

Betty Manousos said...

dear sylvia, i find this idea absolutely great!

thanks for sharing.

betty x

p.s. thanks so much for your wonderful comments on my blog and support. much appreciated!!

elvira pajarola said...

Carissima Sylvia...oh yes, I am convinced THIS is the GOOD way to think ad to DO...!!!
We here in Italy try to support our handmade, crafts, any type of made in Italy......& made in our home towns......!!!

..I am delighted to step back to you...it has been sooo looong, sooo happy about it!!!
Sometimes TIME is just running toooo fast!

Have a wonderful autumn & lots of sunshine, Sylvia!!!

ciao ciao
elvira

Arija said...

Hurrah for a bit of sense and about time too. The same applies to our country as well.
And good for you for posting it Sylvia.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Well said Sylvia!! Great ideas.

Anonymous said...

I like your blue screen of death header Sylvia. Made in America? Still happens believe it or not. My little portable writing machine, the AlphaSmart Neo says Made in USA on the back.

Sridharan said...

Interesting ideas..!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Good thoughts and good ideas!

Jo said...

Most inspiring post, Sylvia. I hope some SOuth Africans read this and apply it back home. Here in the Valley, we won't exchange gifts (most people are away then) but during the year I offer my services to help with the catering, at the school and even to helping a couple of locals (including my housekeeper, Naomi) keep their dogs tick-free and worm-free. But on our travels through Kenya in December, my hubby and I will keep a few treats like cupcakes and biscuits handy to give to children along the road. Thanks again for a WONDERFUL post. Have a great day. Jo

Lee Spangler said...

The idea has merits and some unintended consequences. Millions of American workers are employed by stores that sell such products. To not buy "foreign"products has serious economic consequences. Also many products are produced by "American" multi nationals. Should we not by their stuff too. Also conversely how would we feel if Japan said don't buy American or don't invest in America? Most Toyotas and Kias etc are now made here using American labor. Anyway historically tariff wars and ideas suggested above have had more harmful consequences than positive. I don't think it has to be either or. I think some of the gifts you have suggested are wonderful.

Teamgsquare said...

It suits every country .

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time