I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas at Arlington National Cemetary



Rest easy, sleep well my brothers.
Know the line has held, your job is done.
Rest easy, sleep well.
Others have taken up where you fell, the line has held.
Peace, peace, and farewell...



You may be interested to know that these wreaths -- some 5,000 -- are donated by the Worcester Wreath Co. of Harrington, Maine. The owner, Merrill Worcester, not only provides the wreaths, but covers the trucking expense as well. He's done this since 1992. A wonderful guy. Also, most years, groups of Maine school kids combine an educational trip to DC with this event to help out. Making this even more remarkable is the fact that Harrington is in one the poorest parts of the state.

Facts checked on Snopes.

We hear too much about the bad things people do. Everyone should hear about this.

9 comments:

Oman said...

i agree. anyways, have a joyful christmas to you and your love ones... from my islands to yours.

Peggy said...

Silvia;

Thank you for the pictures and the prayer that followed. You are still the teacher and I am gladly your student!

maryt/theteach said...

Sylvia, your post brought a tear to my eye. Thank you for sharing the photos of Arlington...

Great Grandma Lin said...

i posted this last year, happy to hear the tradition continues...

antigoni said...

Very touching post. Merry Christmas.

Linda said...

Powerful

Darlene said...

Thank you, Sylvia, for reminding us that holiday time is not always a time for joy. The photo at Arlington should be reminder that peace must be the theme for Christmas.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Lew said...

Arlington is an inspiring place any time of the year, evan more so when the wreaths are laid or the flags placed.

Anonymous said...

Amen! We our a peace to a great many...

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time