I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, March 27, 2009

A Look Back

A couple of days ago I was reading a post by my friend, Sujatha, of Blogpourrie, about long layovers in airports and it brought back some vivid memories of my trip from Madrid, Spain to the US in 1969. I mentioned that to Sujatha in my comment to her and she urged me to write about it. It wasn’t particularly funny at the time, but looking back now, I have to admit I did get a large chuckle out of the memory and I decided to share it with the rest of you who might be planning on a LONG flight in the near future with small children.

In July of 1969 my husband, David, and I were living in Madrid, Spain where he was stationed with the Air Force. We had a daughter, Robyn, who was three and a half and another daughter, Kerith, who was thirteen months. I was six months pregnant with our third child at the time. We were due to go back to the states in October of that year and would be going to Great Falls, Montana where my husband was to be stationed at Malmstrom AFB. We were looking forward to returning to the states in spite of the fact that we had loved our three years in Europe.

There was one little problem, the obstetrician at the hospital informed me that I couldn’t wait that long to return to the states since my baby was due in November. So, we made plans for me to return to my parents home in Dallas, Texas. David would join me there in November and we would continue on to Montana.

The idea of that long of a trip with Robyn alone would have been a no brainer, she was quiet, well behaved, loved books – she was the perfect , adorable little girl and I was certain it was because we had raised her in the best possible way, right?? Then there was Kerith – what can I say? She was more than a hand full, she could be a terror and her greatest joy was to see how quickly she could piss Robyn off. I might add that I had very big babies and while you couldn’t tell I was pregnant from behind, when I turned around I had to be careful not to knock lamps off the tables etc. etc.

At best, this wasn’t going to be an easy trip! In spite of the fact that my very understanding pediatrician had given me a mild medication to keep Kerith sleepy for most of the trip back to the states.

David took us to the airbase that morning in July of 1969 and put the girls and I on the plane. There was a general returning to the states on the same plane and he had been given a going away party which ran over time and delayed his boarding for nearly two hours. Two hours in which the rest of us sat in the plane, on the runway, mumbling obscenities under our breath.

We finally took off and after a uneventful flight, arrived at an air base in New Jersey only to find that we had missed our connection to Atlanta by a half hour. We had to take a bus to Philadelphia to catch the plane for our next destination – Atlanta! Oh, did I mention that it was in the upper 90s and the humidity was about the same! Well, you get the picture!

We finally boarded the plane and took off. Robyn went to sleep immediately, her arms wrapped around a teddy bear. Kerith was still snoozing away and I was finally able to relax a bit and doze off as well. Then came the announcement! The pilots were experiencing some difficulty with the plane and we would have to land in Baltimore to have it taken care of – everyone would have to wait in the airport!

I did manage to talk the pilot and stewardesses into letting me remain on board – even though I knew it was going to be very hot – no air conditioning! But the thought of moving my overburdened body and two kids off still another airplane was more than I was willing to do. They did bring me lots of cold drinks, ice, water etc.; the girls continued to sleep, the baby I was carrying, stopped kicking and went back to doing whatever the unborn do and I was able to relax.

An hour later we were in the air again, next stop – Atlanta! It was two o’clock in the morning and I had to change planes again for the final leg of the “fun” journey back to Texas!

Now, you have to realize that during the nearly three years we had been in Europe, the hippie movement had really moved across the US, the media wasn’t what it is today and while I had read a little about it, I really had no idea how prevalent it had become in the states – that is until I walked off the plane and into the waiting room of the airport in Atlanta. Men with beards and long hair, clothes that looked as though they had never seen the inside of a washing machine, women in long dresses – also in need of a Laundromat , with long hair that could have used the Laundromat as well. Most of them sat on the floor all over the airport. Several women were nursing babies, breasts hanging out uncovered. Numerous little kids were running around, having a great time, as unwashed as their parent/parents and even dirtier – if possible. There were a couple of guys playing guitars and singing songs I had never heard before, pushing tin cups out asking for contributions to the “cause”.

Now, I was never, ever straight laced as they used to be called and I had certainly been a wild one so to speak in my day – well, at least my parents thought I was wild and don’t forget, my husband was black (well, actually David is still black, he’s just no longer my husband – good friend, though and his being black had nothing to do with our no longer being married). What I’m saying is that I was always a very liberal minded woman, but the new face of America in the 60s was still a shock.

And I was still in shock when the three and a half of us boarded our plane to Dallas. Ah, how time changes everything! Looking back I wonder if anything could shock me that much today. Probably not! But it’s been good for a chuckle or two.

18 comments:

Sujatha Bagal said...

Sylvia, I can very well imagine what a nightmare of a journey this was then, but what a nugget! So vividly described! You can lay blame at the feet of the general for all your trouble. And I know exactly what you mean about Kerith. Sometimes I think the same about D!

Your description of the scene waiting for you in Atlanta was priceless. Thank you so much for writing about this!

bobbie said...

I also thoroughly enjoyed the story, Sylvia, though I am very much aware of how it must have been for you at the time.
No, I don't think anything like that - or perhaps anything at all, would shock you now. We reach a point where we feel we've seen and heard it all. I feel that way, and sometimes marvel at my reactions to things years ago.

maryt/theteach said...

Great story, Sylvia! Sounds like it was real difficult at the time - glad you can laugh now! :)

Anonymous said...

Now the airline would charge you for the cold drink...I enjoyed this story ..Michelle

Mare said...

What a trip that was! I give you credit for managing all that by yourself, and while pregnant, too!
God bless ya.

Peggy said...

Sylvia;

What a delightful story about traveling. I remember traveling to California with my two children and one still cooking too.I was meeting Jim who had been on a business. My kids were pretty good. Thank goodness we had a direct flight becuase I know that we would have had a meldown or two.
Your discription of the airport in Atlanta was so on target. That's just how it was in 79 ...hippies galore, Many of those former hippies are now CEO's of big business.

Frankie Anon said...

Great story Sylvia! You've seen so much. I would love to know what Spain was like in the 60s. Hope you'll write about that soon.

Your story reminds me of one my Great Uncle used to tell. They lived in Colorado for part of the 60s. They went hiking and ran into an enclave of hippies. As he tells it, they first came across a young woman dressed shoulders to toe in what we used to call a "granny dress." A few feet more and they met a young woman who was completely nude. (I wish you could see the twinkle in his eyes as he told this.)

Great Grandma Lin said...

interesting I was just writing a blog entry for april 1st-and it reminds me of those occasions which are funny years later but not at the time. I too returned alone with three little boys under 6 from brazil after living there with my husband for a year. all went well on the flight till we got to los angeles airport and then two of my little sons took off in different directions. I finally caught the younger one who was going up the steps to board an plane to somewhere else. I wasn't even pregnant. BTW my hubby became a hippie in the 60s which ended our marriage...free love isn't free.

Sylvia K said...

Lin, you're right -- free love isn't free, I don't think it ever has been, but it was the propaganda of the 60s. I was in my late 20s-early 30s in the 60s plus my husband had served in Vietnam and we were just of a whole different mind set. But a rebel I had always been, just not to that extreme. Hmmm come to think of it, I still am.

June Saville said...

Loved the story Sylvia. I think the shock would have been the contrast between the US of A you knew when you left and the absolute culture shift of the new hippie era. Huge.
Sometimes we need to go to the other end of the spectrum to make just a small (often eventually positive) alteration in our cultures.

Sylvia K said...

I agree, June, the country needed a change, but sometimes the only way for that to happen is to go way too far in the opposite direction and that's the shock that will help create the difference needed and reach a middle ground.

Susan at Stony River said...

Yikes, what an adventure! And I'm reading it as I'm planning a trip to America this summer with my two autistic kids aged 3 and 9 (oh boy). LOL

I've had some nightmare journeys in my day too--I'll just see if it tops my other flights-from-hell for the fun of it!

Funny how places change, even after just a few years. We can never really go 'home' again, because it's not staying the same for us, or waiting. Thanks for the story Sylvia!

Arija said...

I like your SkyWatch below, but I am so glad you wrote this story down, times change and it is good to write down bits of personal history. Quite a trip you had, I think I would still be wanting to kick tht general.

magiceye said...

wonderful story well narrated!

Kay said...

My daughter will be visiting us this summer with our 2.5 year old granddaughter. It'll be a 9 hour flight to get here. That's just one kid and it's exhausting for my daughter to think about. My hats off to you for accomplishing and surviving your travels 2.5 chldren.

nsiyer said...

Interesting to hear of the ordeal. Ordeal then, but today something for a chuckle. Life's like that. Enjoy the present.

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, what a trip! But you survived, that's the main thing. And look at you now!

chrome3d said...

Well, I have to dug deep but I finally got this post. It took me ages! Good luck with them hippies!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time