I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, April 6, 2009

That's My World -- The Space Needle


It's time for That's My World and a chance for you to share your world with people all over the world. This a great meme generously hosted by Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise. Click here to sign up and join in the fun!

Today I'd like to share one of the really outstanding sites in Seattle -- the Space Needle!

The Space Needle is a tower in Seattle, Washington, and is a major landmark of the Pacific Northwest region of the United States and a symbol of Seattle. Located at the Seattle Center, it was built for the 1962 World's Fair, during which time nearly 20,000 people a day used the elevators, with over 2.3 million visitors in all for the World Fair. The Space Needle is 605 feet (184 m) high and 138 feet (42 m) wide at its widest point and weighs 9,550 tons. When it was completed it was the tallest structure west of the Mississippi River. It is built to withstand winds of up to 200 mph (320 km/h) and earthquakes up to 9.5 magnitude which would protect the structure against an earthquake as powerful as the 1700 Cascadia earthquake). The tower has 25 lightning rods on its roof to prevent lightning damage.

The Space Needle features an observation deck at 520 feet (160 m), and a gift shop with the rotating SkyCity restaurant at 500 feet (152 m). From the top of the Needle, one can see not only the Downtown Seattle skyline, but also the Olympic and Cascade Mountains, Mount Rainier, Mount Baker, Elliott Bay and surrounding islands. Photographs of the Seattle skyline often show the Space Needle in a prominent position, even appearing to tower above the rest of the city's skyscrapers, as well as Mount Rainier in the background. This occurs because the tower, which is equivalent in height to a 60-story building, stands roughly four-fifths of a mile
(1.3 km) northwest of most downtown skyscrapers, and on a hill.

Visitors can reach the top of the Space Needle via elevators that travel at 10 mph
(16 km/h). The trip takes 43 seconds, and some tourists wait in hour-long lines in order to ascend to the top of the tower. On windy days, the elevators are slowed down to a speed of 5 mph. The Space Needle was designated a historic landmark on April 19, 1999 by the City's Landmarks Preservation Board.

43 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

fun landmark I was there at the world's fair in 1962 to see it and later to go up in it. Also have a son who lives in Seattle.

magiceye said...

absolutely gorgeous images!

TropiGal said...

I want to eat at the restaurant at the top of Space Needle before I die. These photos are fabulous.

BTW, how's the food up there?

Mare said...

I was in Seattle in 2004 and visited the Space Needle. We decided to eat at the restaurant because you were able to advance in that elevator line. And we really enjoyed the restaurant, too!

erin said...

wonderful commentary and so enjoyed the photos as well...remember visiting as a young person with my family in the late 1960s. that area used to be kind of the seedy part of town but times have changed.
have a great afternoon.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see Seattle some day.

Kay said...

These photos look like something out of a science fiction movie. Their really terrific photos. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Susan at Stony River said...

Wow, what a skyline--those photos are gorgeous. The needle's a beautiful thing to see but I could never go up in it. (What a baby!) I like my feet on the ground!!

bobbie said...

Now that is something I have always thought I would like to see. Thanks for the info, Sylvia.

Dianne said...

it is such a pretty landmark!!

Louise said...

Absolutely stunning pictures of such a well-known landmark!

I had lunch up there once. I was young and with my parents. They brought us desert bubbling over with dry ice. I will never forget it!

Indrani said...

Space Needle!
What an unique name! The place seems so too. Thanks for the details.

SandyCarlson said...

These crystal clear photos are very beautiful.

Mojo said...

That second shot almost looks like the cover of a post-apocalyptic sci-fi novel. Except it would be oriented vertically if it were.

Anonymous said...

Seattle I will love to visit sometime.

Thanks for sharing so great commentary and lovely shots! Have a wonderful week.
Mary Elizabeth Now and Then.

Carver said...

You have some great shots of the space needle and this was also very informative.

Neil Tasker said...

Now that looks like a pretty cool place to have dinner. Amazing.

kayleen said...

I so often get a trip down memory lane when I visit your blog. I remember the summer of the World's Fair. We had an endless stream of out of town visitors and my frugal parents who probably would have gone once, if at all, were forced to tour guide to the fair. I loved every second of it!

Nebraska Birding

Reader Wil said...

Beautiful photos, Sylvia! Thanks for showing. Thanks also for the visit.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: This is a really neat part of your world. I ate lunch there when visiting the area. That is quite the view as the top turns as you eat.

Jane Hards Photography said...

These really are picture postcards, in the making.Fantastic images.

Martha Z said...

Wonderful pictures of the space needle and very informative. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

That is such a recognisable landmark, much like our CN Tower.

Thanks for the info. Of course, I will not be going up that one either!

Dr.John said...

Once , a very long time ago, I went up in the Needle. Wow! do I feel old.

Janie said...

Beautifuil photos and interesting facts about the space needle. I've seen it, but never been up to the top.

Nancy said...

Lucky you! Wish I lived there!

Jenn Jilks said...

Great posts. My husband doesn't like heights, tho'. Not much chance we'd get there! :-Q

Guy D said...

Those are some of the best shots I've ever seen of the Seattle skyline, the first one is my favourite.

Have a great week!
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Deborah Godin said...

That's such a photogenic tower; never seen a bad photo of it!

Gaelyn said...

The Space Needle is an awesome structure. Haven't been there in years. Great post Sylvia.

Arija said...

The spce needle certainly defines the cityscape of Seattle and your photos are quite magical.

mannanan said...

Great pictures and comentary as usual. I'm afraid of heights but I'd still love to go to the top of this. Thanks for sharing your world with us.

ConverseMomma said...

I am dying to go to Seattle. I want to take my children here. These pictures are lovely.

antigoni said...

Great post! Beautiful place, day or night.

Lakshmi said...

the colours of the sky are amazing...loved the last pic..thanks for the info

George said...

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and the information about the Space Needle.

Unknown said...

It really is a fascinating structure, almost like an alien spaceship is sitting atop it! Love that last piccie against the sunset.

Lew said...

The view must be well worth the wait! It is a distinctive structure and you got some great shots, especially the last one!

Unknown said...

What a great write-up on a very interesting structure. World's Fairs used to be such events. What remains always interests me. Thank you for sharing your beautiful city with us.

Clara said...

I love the Space Needle. I visited with my family in 1968 (I was 17) and we went to the top. It was awesome even tho it was a hazy day. We couldn't see Rainier. I've been back to Seattle a few times in recent years when my daughter and son-in-law were in college in Kirkland. We managed the Pike Street Market nearly every trip, but never up the needle. It may have something to do with the fact that my hubby as a fear of heights.

I love your pictures. Especially the last with the sunset behind it!

nadia said...

I love the picture taken at night - it's so pretty with all the lights on :)

maryt/theteach said...

Gorgeous shots of the Space Needle! With the beautiful snow-topped mountains int eh background, Sylvia! What a site! :)

marites said...

impressive landmark and to think, it was built in 1962? that's really awesome and i hope i'd be able to visit that someday.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time