I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Evening, Wisdom and Beauty



In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play. ~Friedrich Nietzsche



So, like a forgotten fire, a childhood can always flare up again within us.
~Gaston Bachelard



Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up. ~Pablo Picasso



Children have neither past nor future; they enjoy the present, which very few of us do. ~Jean de la Bruyere



What a distressing contrast there is between the radiant intelligence of the child and the feeble mentality of the average adult. ~Sigmund Freud



A child's world is fresh and new and beautiful, full of wonder and excitement. It is our misfortune that for most of us that clear-eyed vision, that true instinct for what is beautiful and awe-inspiring, is dimmed and even lost before we reach adulthood. ~Rachel Carson

14 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Beautiful shots. All is simply pure and white around here, and darned cold in My Muskoka !

Anonymous said...

All gorgeous my friend. I love the 4th one and the 4th one is soooo true. I love it. Have a wonderful Sunday PhQB

pink dogwood said...

i love this post - a great reminder to be enthusiastic and not lose the sense of wonder.

Kay said...

Lovely photos, Sylvia. I remember reading about an artist who said one of the most difficult things was to draw like a child. I remember not understanding that at that time. I do now.

chrome3d said...

Most of the unreal men want to play too.

Lee Spangler said...

Your photos and quotes add to a peaceful weekend. I don't feel much like thinking, just want to unwind.
Hope you are relaxed. fond ly

Annie Jeffries said...

Picasso was so right.

Brig said...

You have brought calm to the wilderness. Thanks I needed that. Loved your pics.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful. I love the last quote but enjoyed them all.

bobbie said...

every one of these quotes is so wonderful and true. How appropriate to the season.

nsiyer said...

For all those reasons as in the quotes, Sylvia, they say 'Child is the father of man'. Enjoyed them and as always those pics so beautifully captured.

Crafty Green Poet said...

excellent selection of quotes and beautiful photos

Susan at Stony River said...

What wonderful words to live by!

That bottom photo is my favourite tonight I think; I like the light that shines through all that dark. Beautiful!

maryt/theteach said...

I always come for the photos and the quotes, Sylvia! Have a Happy Holiday!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time