I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, January 12, 2009

Cheney's Innocent??

Everyone is getting ready for the big day now just days away. Everyone is either talking or writing about the horror that was or the hope to be. Maureen Dowd had her usual sharp tongue look in the OpEd section in the NYT this morning have to admit I enjoyed these opening remarks about Cheney in particular.

"In the past week, I’ve twice been close enough to Dick Cheney to kick him in the shins.

I didn’t. It’s probably a federal crime of some sort. But a girl can fantasize. I did, however, assume the Stay-away-from-me-you’ve-got-cooties stance that Jimmy Carter used when posing with Bill Clinton at the presidents’ powwow in the Oval.

The first time was Tuesday, when Cheney left the ceremony where he gave the oath of office to senators. The senators seemed thrilled, especially Joe Biden, who was getting sworn in for just two weeks and was excitedly showing off a family Bible the size of a Buick. But I thought it gave the ceremony a satirical edge to have the lawless Vice presiding over lawmakers swearing to support and defend the Constitution that he soiled and defiled — right in the heart of the legislative branch he worked to diminish."

Cheney does indeed seem to be denying he had anything to do with Dubya's decisions, that he most definitely didn't manipulate him, that it was Bush's administration all the way. At a going away party for Fox's Brit Hume, Cheney, Wolfie and Rummy, all three, were holding court and appeared blissfully unrepentant about the chaos they’ve unleashed on the world. Hey, they weren't the president, it was all Bushie's doings. I wonder if there are really people who believe that?

Asked by People magazine what moments from the last eight years he revisited most often, W. talked passionately about the pitch he threw out at the World Series in 2001: “I never felt that anxious any other time during my presidency, curiously enough.” Yep, sounds about right to me!

I guess the only thing I can hope for at this time is that we can move forward after the 20th, but it isn't going to be easy or as quick as anyone would like. The legacy the Bush/Cheney administration has left us is one that has all but destroyed this country and everything we would like to believe we stand for.

January 20th can't get here too fast for me!

6 comments:

Susan at Stony River said...

OH. MY. GOD.

We've heard W say some amazingly godawful things, but I hadn't heard the World Series one. It's terrifying really to think of just how clueless he could be while making the decisions the whole world has had to live with since.

Sylvia, thanks as always for your boldly spoken opinions on our world; I enjoy reading them very much!

K. said...

The sad thing is, it's true: The guy's greatest accomplishment as president was not bouncing the first pitch on Opening Day. It was all downhill from there.

Cheney...don't get me started. Compared to Cheney, Richard Nixon was a buoyant, cockeyed optimist who never met a man he didn't like.

On a different subject, I'm guest blogger on Time Goes By this Wednesday!

Anonymous said...

I was watching a segment recently, I forget if it was CNN or MSNBC, but the talking heads were giving serious analysis of Bush, cheney et al regarding war crimes. It was fascinating. The bottom line was that they all felt that the new administration must consider looking into this, because other nations already are, and those who were responsible for such deplorable illegal acts would travel abroad at their own peril, and possibly face arrest for war crimes if they did! We'll see if the media keeps this issue alive.

Darlene said...

Since we read the same articles, Sylvia, I won't comment on this one, but I did see Cheney try to change history on a Sunday Morning Talk Show. The man is either a blithering idiot who believes his own propaganda, or a deviously clever evil man. I rather think the latter is true.

Deborah, I fear the media will not cover this or keep it alive; they are all about today's scandal which they will obsess on endlessly.

Linda said...

AMEN all the way!

Margie's Musings said...

Me too...and they just keep unraveling. Did anyone see 60 Minutes last night?

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time