I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, February 2, 2009

That's My World -- Snoqualmi Falls


As you know, Mr. Linky and I seem to have parted company and I'm unable to sign in, however, as most of you know, I will still post some of the wonderful things/places in my world for whomever visits my site to enjoy. Here is some history to begin with.

A brief history of Snoqualmie Falls

Several thousand years ago, when the glaciers receded, they left a fertile plain near Snoqualmie Falls. When Native Americans arrived, they found a bounty of edible bulbs, roots and berries on the prairie. Deer and mountain goats were plentiful.

Though there were no salmon above the falls, the upper Snoqualmie River became a seasonal rendezvous and meeting place as trade among native peoples increased. The Snoqualmie Tribe (a subgroup of the Coast Salish) established a camp at the base of Mount Si. They also established villages at Fall City and Tolt (Carnation).

Snoqualmie is the English pronunciation of "sah-KOH-koh" or "Sdob-dwahibbluh," a Salish word meaning moon. As a spiritual place, it gave birth to many legends. One tells of "S'Beow" (the beaver), who climbed into the sky to bring trees and fire down to earth. The Native Americans who roamed the valley were known as people of the moon.

White settlers began to arrive in the valley by the early 1850s. Long before, the falls became a tourist destination; pioneer women would edge as close to the falls as they could while friends held on to their dresses to keep them from falling. Jeremiah Borst was the first permanent white settler in the Snoqualmie Valley and is known to some as "the father of the Snoqualmie Valley."

Josiah Merrit ("Uncle Si") built a cabin at the base of a local peak in 1862 (the peak became known as Uncle Si's mountain -- now Mount Si). He raised vegetables and hogs and kept an orchard. According to local historians, he was a rugged man who sometimes hauled bacon to the large settlements.

To do so necessitated hauling the load on a sled to the river, canoeing downstream, strapping the load to his back and climbing down the 268-foot falls, hiking several miles, and then canoeing the rest of the way to Everett or Seattle.

By 1877, there were several logging operations in the region. In early days, logs were floated over the falls and down the river to Everett and Puget Sound. By 1889, entrepreneurs funded and built a railroad (the Seattle, Lake Shore and Eastern) into the valley, opening up timber resources to the world market.

In 1889, the town of Snoqualmie was platted by Charles Baker, a civil engineer. He also constructed an underground power plant at the falls in the 1890s (those original generators are still functioning today). The power plant resulted in electricity and jobs for locals, and soon a small company town was established at the falls. In 1911, a second powerhouse was constructed.

Such large waterfalls often attract daredevils. When that first passenger train arrived in 1889, it was a big event -- more than 1,000 people turned up for food, celebration and entertainment. A Mr. Blondin successfully walked a tightrope over the falls.

In 1890, Charlie Anderson was less fortunate. He parachuted into the canyon from a hot-air balloon, but when he opened the chute a strong air current pushed him toward the falls. As the crowd watched in horror, another gust pulled him in another direction and dropped him on a large boulder; he died that night.

We had planned to go to Snoqualimi when my son, David, was here, although it wouldn't have been the best time -- considering the weather. However, we do plan to go in the spring when hopefully he can come for the postponed Christmas trip. I wish I could claim to have made the photos -- hope to be able to do my own when we do get there, but these, along with hundreds of others at this site It's worth checking out.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have signed you in my love.

Anonymous said...

Great interesting post today. Will have to put that on my list of places to visit when I'm next over that way! Only after saying "hi" to you, of course!!!

Peggy said...

Nature is by far the most beautiful living thing in this world.
Especially through your eyes! Thank you for the history lession!

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Wow Sylvia,
You sure live in a fantastic area, I love to look at the HIGH waterfall, I have seen some on our travels (Venezuela, Norway) , but this FALL is big too@!:)

MyWORLD in HOLLAND is cold with frozen canals and a windmill, or maybe do you like skating? Or watch my CROWM-story:) smile!

I welcome you to visit my blog her:
www.joannwalraven.blogspot.com

JoAnn/HOLLAND

EG CameraGirl said...

Strange how water falls attract daredevils, isn't it? Wonderful post!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: I see Rob signed you in so that is really neat. I actually have been to the falls and it is a neat place. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Louise said...

What an incredibly beautiful place. I've never even heard of it. It's amazing that a falls that large is completely unknown to me. That makes it even better.

Guy D said...

Stunnign photography of an amazing location. Thanks for sharing your world.

Cheers!
Regina In Pictures

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I love learning about new places and the history associated with them.

Janie said...

Interesting history of the falls. Beautiful photos, especially the one with the rainbow.

Anonymous said...

Magnificent falls. I love your post. The photos are so beautiful.

Dianne said...

oh so pretty! and a rainbow!!

bass said...

I love the photo with the rainbow. So beautiful nature's way of showing it to us. Thanks for sharing.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Really interesting potted history and gorgeous images.

david mcmahon said...

Some great shots there .....

Susan at Stony River said...

Wow, it looks like a bit of heaven!

magiceye said...

thank you for the wonderful trip to Snoqualmie Falls!

Unknown said...

Yikes! I would be somewhat hesitant to stand out on the edge of that viewing platform. As a hydrologist I approve of this post and photos.

Anonymous said...

Had no idea those falls (which I'd heard of but never seen) were so magnificent!

Joy said...

I want to go there. It's beautiful!

Unknown said...

Great post and so interesting, it looks very spiritual, I would not be tempted to hirewire across it though, great piccies.

Kay said...

This is was such an interesting post. I love reading about legends and stories of past people.

Anonymous said...

Lovely! And one fantastic post! Thanks for sharing your part of the world. It's beautiful!

RDS said...

Mr. Blondin also successfully walked a tightrope over Niagara Falls, a favorite af mine. RDS

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time