I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Looking Back - Part 3 A Personal Look at Color

In spite of the fact that I grew up in Texas, I never saw the color of a persons skin as being important, not as a child or a teenager in the 50s. I was aware that blacks lived in their own section of town, they couldn’t eat in restaurants around town and they certainly didn’t go to school with me and my friends. But my family owned a restaurant and while blacks couldn’t eat there, they could work there and serve other blacks on a porch off the kitchen -- that was the law. However, when we had parties at Christmas for the employees, it was for all of the employees , we locked the front door of the restaurant and the cooks and dishwashers (they were people, not machines in those days), came out front and we all sat together and ate goodies, exchanged gifts and laughed together.

I graduated from high school when I was sixteen and three months later I turned seventeen and went off to college for two years. I couldn’t decide at that time just what I wanted to do with my life, so I left college and went to work. One of those jobs was for a photographer. His assistant was a black man who had a Master’s Degree in Literature, but his job as a white business owner’s assistant was still a step up in those days. We became very good friends and caused a lot of head turning when we walked down the street together, laughing and talking on our way to the bus stop – it probably was a good thing we took different buses because we couldn’t sit together. I never understood prejudice – not then and certainly not now.

In the early 60s I had decided that I wanted to teach school and returned to college. I worked part time for the first six months and shared a house with a good friend of mine. She was from Germany and was a fencer and one weekend she invited me to a fencing tournament that was being held in Dallas. It was there that I met my future husband. He was a member of the Modern Pentathlon Team. It was an Olympic sport primarily designed for those in the military and he was stationed in San Antonio, the team had come to Dallas for the competition. And he was black.

At the time he was dating my housemate from Germany who was white, so when I say they dated that meant that he came to our house for an evening. They couldn’t go anywhere together, so they’d either have dinner at home or they would go to a drive-in and hope no one called the police. After the competition was over and he returned to San Antonio, they would talk on the phone and he would occasionally drive up to Dallas for a weekend. It didn’t take long for this to get really old for both of them and they finally stopped seeing each other.

But he and I continued to talk and to correspond after I returned to college full time and eventually we began to travel back and forth between my university town of Denton and San Antonio. We could go places on the base at Fort Sam Houston.

I graduated from the university two years later and accepted a teaching job in San Antonio at a Catholic girl’s school. We were still limited to dining or going to movies on the base or eating at my apartment or to parties given by local friends and that kept us busy. We occasionally thumbed our noses at society in general by eating at drive-in or going to a drive-in movie. We still turned lots of heads although it was mainly because people weren’t totally sure just what he was – he had almost as mixed a heritage as I did and wasn’t your “ordinary black man”, whatever that means.

He went to the Olympics the next year and when he returned a Silver Medalist, I had a celebration at my apartment and invited all my students. Oh, my, what a fan club they were! I nearly choked with laughter when I overheard two of them talking and giggling talking about how handsome he was and “didn’t he have the greatest tan”! It just never occurred to them that he could be black.

We married soon after that. My parents loved him in spite of a few relatives that refused to have me in their homes anymore. They came to California for our wedding – we couldn’t get married in Texas because it was still against the law at the time. But I walked down the aisle on my father’s arm in a beautiful wedding gown with my head held high and one big smile on my face.

Over the next five years we had four children who got progressively lighter skinned – to the point that to this day no one knows what their heritage is although they’ve never made any attempt to hide their background and they are, and always have been, outrageously proud of their father, as they should be.

We were married for over twenty years, we eventually did get a divorce, but it had nothing to do with race or color – that was easy to deal with, the old hurts and pain from earlier times, with parents and situations neither of us had any control over had left both of us damaged emotionally. But we have remained good friends and have stayed in touch over the years. The children feel very comfortable with both of us and we do all get together now and then.

I have no regrets nor do I think he has. He was a wonderful father and friend. It’s not about color, it’s about being a human being – we don’t all have the same color of eyes or hair so what’s the big thing about the color of ones skin? I didn’t understand it when I was a child and I don’t understand it today.

I didn't vote for Obama because he’s black, but because he has a vision for this country at a time when we desperately need a new vision. Isn’t it time that we finally put the color of a person’s skin in the same category as having different color eyes or hair? Isn’t it time we look beyond such small, petty and ridiculous reasons and look at the person within? I want desperately to believe that time has come for most of us and I desperately hope that I am right.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was a student at the Univ of Hawaii, I dated a student from Africa. He was in my Shakespeare class, very smart, and on scholarship. However, my grandmother could not get past his mohawk haircut. She was very upset.

"The eyes of the world are on our doorstep!" she said. She told me to stop seeing him.

So that was the only date I had with him. If only he didn't have that mohawk haircut, maybe she would have accepted him. Maybe not, because his skin was very dark.

Anyway, I ended up marrying a Caucasian and we will celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary on June 28. I have no regrets.

James said...

My father is black and my mother is white so I can relate to a lot in your post. I was fortunate to live in a time and place that spared me from prejudice for the most part. I have seen prejudice coming from black people against white people and just about every other race against another but thankfully it hasn't been the norm.
I didn't vote for Obama because I don't care for his vision. It seems obvious to me that his skin color hasn't held him back and I know mine hasn't.

Very interesting stuff thanks for sharing.

bobbie said...

You are so right, Sylvia. It is absurd to feel that people are "different" because of skin color. And yet the prejudice persists. And it is everywhere. I was particularly struck by it when I visited eastern Europe. The people were so gentle - Yet when "gypsies" were mentioned (meaning Indians or anyone with dark skin) they grew almost violent, speaking of them.

My father was the worst bigot ever. It puzzled me as a child, and still does.

Susan at Stony River said...

What a great post. (Silver Medal? Wow--this is as close as I've ever gotten to 'knowing' an Olympic Athlete, Sylvia, LOL)

We lived in Northern Ireland for years because my husband's from Belfast, and there nobody bats an eye if you're in an inter-racial marriage, like quite a few of our friends. It's marrying across their own 'divide' -- Protestant with Catholic -- that can get you ostracised in some towns, heckled, or even killed--it's happened. It's SO stupid. Funny what our societies pick up on as 'unacceptable' when we're all just people underneath.

Reader Wil said...

Thank you for this warm and beautiful story! It's so true that the colour of your skin is absolutely not important as long as it is a healthy colour. Some sick people are pale or deathly white. Nobody wants that.

Sujatha Bagal said...

Lovely essay, Sylvia, both the writing and the story. I'm hopeful that with each new generation the issue of color with recede farther and farther away. Although the panic attacks that a part of the country seems to be feeling with Sotomayor's nomination do give me pause, there is no alternative, thankfully, with the multicultural hot pot that America is becoming. We'll all be a country of "mutts" as Obama so eloquently put it. :)

I've said it many times before, but I don't mind repeating that I'm grateful you are sharing your experiences. Bringing up a child anywhere is difficult, but especially so when I'm learning the cultural subtext of the society in which they are growing up by reading and looking, not by growing up here. Personal stories like yours help fill in the gaps.

Have a wonderful day!

Bagman and Butler said...

Bravo. My first wife was black so I've seen prejudice close up but I will never understand it. It makes no sense to me. Unless maybe, if I think of it as not so much about color as about power...finding something, anything -- age, gender,race, religion -- that you can look down on to make yourself feel more powerful, or feel better about yourself. Then I feel really sad that so many people are so insecure or unhappy that they have to do that...

Roshni said...

Wow! Olympic medalist. I know you told me a little bit about that when you were recounting your life story in another post, but it still so impresses me!
I remember when Obama was elected, all the blacks had tears in their eyes coz the country finally elected a black president. I was totally startled coz I was so impressed by him that I had never given a thought about his color.
It works both ways; the country did not elect him coz he was black and they had finally rid themselves of prejudice; the country elected him coz they needed an intelligent, articulate person to be a president and he was a clear winner!!

julie king said...

such a wonderful story and touching outlook, sylvia! i grew up in a household with parents who were moderately prejudiced but from a very early age i chose to be different. i feel my parents' prejudice was one of ignorance and upbringing. so it is with pride that i can say that i beat that belief at an early age and went on to raise my children with very open minds about differences in color, attitude, social standing, etc.

obama being black was a non-issue for me. although i was aware of and awed by the historical significance, like you, i voted for him because he challenged convention and held up a new standard and dream for all of us to aspire to. it was by far one of my proudest moments as an american when he was elected and sworn in.

Mare said...

That was a very compelling account of your personal journey through life. I enjoyed it, and remember when I was dating, that it was an issue. Will it ever change?

Unknown said...

You're a good person Sylvia...The views into your life that you share with us are nothing short of remarkable. I laughed when your students thought he had a great tan...It reminded me of my Dad.

When I was a boy, every summer my parents and I would go to the beach daily with friends and family. One of their friend's sons was around ten years old, when he looked at my Dad and asked 'How do you always have such a good tan?' We all just laughed. He had no idea...We've known him since he was a baby and he just thought my Dad was Italian with a great tan :)

As far as Obama goes...That was a tough one. I wanted nothing more than to have a black president lead our country.I wanted it as much as anyone else would, who has experienced discrimination. So, I ended up not voting for him. I wasn't totally on board with him and I saw too many people backing him just because he was black. Thankfully, he's slowly winning me over...

JJ

Joy said...

Wonderful post! I identify with quite a bit of it and am inspired by your attitude and outlook.

Linda Pendleton said...

Thanks, Sylvia for sharing your story. When you married, sadly, it would have been difficult to be accepted in many places in this country.

I voted for Obama because he was what our country needed, is intelligent, visionary, has empathy, and humor, and other good qualities. And none of those reasons have to do with the color of his skin or the fact he is half white/black.

And during the Presidential concert and inaugration I was deeply moved by the historical significance and I had tears runing down my white face, and I really understood something that day, looking into the tearful eyes of many people.

I have two beautiful teenage nieces who are half black/white and my hope for them is to live in a world without racism.

Today I had a couple come by, acquaintances, and on my coffee table I have two copies of a special edition of Newsweek with the Obama family on the cover. The woman saw it in front of her and quickly turned it over and said, "I can't stand him." I said, "Well, I love him and I think he is the best thing for our country." What her feelings were, whether the color of their skin had anything to do with her action, I don't know, because I didn't care to know. Her husband said, "Don't do that, this isn't your house." She turned it back over, and I said, "Good because you'll have an agrument with me over Obama."

It's strange how people choose to live in fear and bias.

We still have a ways to go in this country when it comes to human rights and equality for all. But we are making headway over these issues.

Lilly said...

Wonderful post Sylvia. It is hard to imagine a time like that but then again in the 90s I was living in Los Angeles and dating a black guy. I couldnt believe the atention we got even then! There is nothing stranger then folk it seems. Just so strange. I live in a very cosmopolitan city and its wonderful to see everyone just gettin gon with it. For some if its not the colour of the skin, its their religion, their wealth whatever. I am enjoying hearing about your life and look forward to many more posts. When I read your writing I can just imagine you - I think you would have been a lovely young woman too. Thank you!!

magiceye said...

a post that is from the heart and shaped by the head! wonderful!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time