I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, June 8, 2009

That's My World -- Deschutes River

Time once again to share your world! That's My World is hosted each week by Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise. Click on the title, read the rules, sign up and enjoy the fun!

As many of you know I lived in Oregon before moving to Seattle two years ago, so I still consider both Oregon and Washington as my world. Three years ago I saw a very interesting trip listed at the local senior center -- a water rafting excursion down the Deschutes River. I signed up immediately and it was one of the most exciting, fun, adventurous trips I've ever been fortunate enough to take. Now, because we were all "seniors" we didn't have to do anything but hold on, the oars were handled by two marvelous young men who got us safely down the river. Midway down we stopped, got out of the rafts and had a fabulous lunch, then piled back into the rafts and continued down the river. Including the bus ride to get to Maupin, where we got onto the river, the rafting down the river and back home to Portland took eleven hours. Eleven of the most beautiful, exciting hours of my life! Be sure to click on the photos to embiggen!



It's incredibly beautiful country to begin with, the weather was warm, sunny and fabulous. The river was breathtaking, cold, swift and we were going through Level 2, 3 and 4 rapids. We had wonderful guides and the guys who handled our rafts were incredible! So, today I'm going to share a little of the history of the area and some shots of the Deschutes, the rafts like we used -- all the photos I found through Google as I didn't even own a camera at the time -- my, my how my life has changed! We entered the river from Maupin, a small town located near the river.



The Deschutes River near Maupin where we climbed in the rafts.



This is what our rafts looked like.



Human History
For thousands of years Indian people of the Central Oregon
area have had a tie to the land that has kept their spirituality
intact. The early inhabitants were mobile foragers, hunting
herds of large mammals that grazed the vast tundra
grasslands. Eventually, as the Indian people began to set
up permanent villages, their economy diversified. They
seasonally harvested salmon, waterfowl, culturally
important plants, and constructed more permanent
dwellings. By 1855, increasing pressure from white
settlers resulted in a treaty in which the Indian people of
the Deschutes and John Day Basins ceded much of their
homelands. The lands now known as the Warm Springs
Reservation of Oregon were reserved for their exclusive
use. Members of the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs
retain the right to fish seasonally along the Deschutes River
as part of their cultural heritage. Today, tribal members can
be seen dip-net fishing below Sherars Falls for large fall
Chinook and steelhead.



White explorers saw the Deschutes River for the first time
on October 22, 1805. Lewis and Clark stopped at the
mouth of the river while exploring the Columbia. They
referred to this tributary of the Columbia River by its
Indian name Towornehiooks. The first white men to
actually explore the Deschutes River were trappers from
the Hudson Bay Company twenty years later. In 1825, a
group of trappers lead by Peter Skene Ogden ascended the
Deschutes from the Columbia River and gave the river the
name that is used today. They referred to the river as the
Rivie‘re Des Chutes, which is French for river of the
falls. Although the area was not settled until years later,
hundreds of settlers crossed the river on the Oregon Trail
as they traveled west to the Willamette Valley to
homestead or headed east to supply miners or graze.

32 comments:

James said...

That is really amazing. I want to do that someday.

bobbie said...

A wonderfully interesting post, Sylvia, and great pictures as always. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful nature! I've never been water rafting before. I don't think I'm that brave to try now. ;-)

Paz

Susan at Stony River said...

Oh, I would love to go on such a trip! I'd also like one of those riverside houses, very pretty!

Thanks Sylvia, I much enjoyed this one.

??? said...

That second picture is breathtakingly beautiful! I enjoyed your post, rafting is something I've always wanted to do :)

Carver said...

That looks like so much fun. Wonderful photographs of such a beautiful part of the country and an interesting post too.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

sylvia: What a great river, I'd like to fish there.

Anonymous said...

Very fascinating post. I stumbled upon a class for white water rafting for seniors while on a road trip in eastern sierra one time and I thought that was pretty cool.

Mare said...

That looks like fun! In 1976, I went rafting in Jackson Hole, Wyoming where one strong guy maneuvered the whole raft. It was exciting, but I was younger then. Good for you, Sylvia. I'd be scared now, I think.

Ramosforest.Environment said...

Great shots and water rafting activities.
Beautiful Nature.
Luiz Ramos

Guy D said...

What a beautiful river, that whitewater rafting looks like a blast, awesome photos.

Have a fantastic week
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Jane Hards Photography said...

Me I can fall out of canoe in th local still lake. What would I be like here. Love to do this though can you imagine the adrenalin.

penny said...

I would love to try white water rafting, it looks so exciting.

Susie of Arabia said...

That sure looks like fun, Sylvia! Great photos too.

♥ Braja said...

I'm still laughing at "embiggened" :)

Janie said...

I'm glad you got to go on such a fun rafting trip. The area looks beautiful! Thanks for the photos and the historical context.

SandyCarlson said...

That is a marvelous place.

Chris said...

Wow.

Just wow.

Lantaw said...

the first photo is a fave! beautiful scenery. I would love to try whitewater rafting one of these days

Anonymous said...

The natural beauty and the history blend together to make story of a fascinating place. I can't imagine going through those rapids, though. You're much more adventuresome than I am.

Sally in WA said...

Thanks for the history lesson and the awesome photos. Glad you had a blast on the river!

Marites said...

woah! lovely pics and i want to try that raft:)

btw, thanks for visitng my blog.

magiceye said...

what a wonderful world...

Kay said...

This is quite remarkable. Thanks for taking us on this exciting trip. Looks like a lot of fun. It's probably not something I would do, so I loved traveling vicariously through you.

2sweetnsaxy said...

What a great post and full of information. Loved it. The shots are magnificent and I'm glad you had a good time. One of these days I'd love to do something like this.

Baruch said...

Great photos of a beautiful part of the country

Indrani said...

Lovely post!
It was wonderful reading this.

Arija said...

You are so curageous to go on such a wonderful trip! I could never get the Prof to come on such a venture although he is an outdoor type, and since he really does not like me out of his sight since my last brush with death, I can't get away n my own...Rats...I would so love to go white water rafting!
A wonderful post with the history of the rivers since white man arrived and the great illustrations.

Larry D said...

Great post very interesting! This looks like an amazing place to raft!

Yolanda said...

Don't we live in such a pretty part of the world.

Anonymous said...

wow...now that is a trip i would love to take. your photographs were wonderful and your commentary about the history of the area so very interesting.
have a lovely evening sylvia.

Unknown said...

Ha! What an exciting thing to do Sylvia. I bet it must have been fun.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time