I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, July 20, 2009

Look Back - Part 12 - A Celebration for Today

Today is my youngest daughter’s forty-first birthday and I can remember that day as if it were yesterday. I was determined that this delivery would not be like the birth of my first child, Robyn -- I spent 36 hours in labor before she finally put in an appearance. She was beautiful and the baby I wasn't supposed to be able to have. My husband was in Vietnam and didn't see his first daughter until she was six months old. I promised myself that next time would be different.

So this time, when I began to have contractions and my husband wanted to take me to the hospital right away -- we were living in Madrid, Spain and the hospital was on the air base located twenty-two miles from our apartment near downtown Madrid -- I persuaded him to wait for a bit to make sure it wasn't a false alarm. Finally about nine o'clock that evening I decided it might be time to go. We parked the car in the parking lot at the hospital and then I insisted on walking until I had a contraction, then we'd wait until it passed, turn around and walk the other way until the next one came. When we were almost turning around in a circle, I decided it was time to go inside the hospital. My beautiful daughter, Kerith Elena Kirkwood, was born about an hour later.

Now, how could that possibly have been forty one years ago? Memories as clear and sharp as black and white photos. It was a great day then and it's a great day today.

Happy Birthday, my beautiful one!

18 comments:

magiceye said...

Happy Birthday to Kerith! Hope she has many more!

bobbie said...

Happy Birthday,Kerith!

My youngest will turn 40 next month. Didn't think it would ever happen. A 10 month pregnancy. Then when I knew it was time the dr said no, not yet. I went to hospital anyway and let them think he sent me. She was born about 2 hours later. What do drs know anyway?

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Happy birthday to Kerith! And continued happy remembrances to you!

pink dogwood said...

Happy Birthday to Kerith - she indeed is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

sylvia...indeed kerith is a gorgeous woman...a very happy birthday to her.

Peggy said...

Happy Birthday to your Kerith. I love her name,floats over my tongue like water!

Linda Reeder said...

Kerith shares her birthday with my sister. Happy Birthday to all.
About childbirth - having taken classes prior to the birth of my first child, I was aware of the signs to look for. I had also calculated the arrival date myself.I stayed home, went for a walk, took a shower and washed my hair, then went to the hospital when I thought it was time. It took about two hours for the first child and one hour for the second. And yes, Jill was born on the day I had determined eight months earlier.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Kerith. What a beautiful woman you are. And to be born in Spain, it can't get any better than that!

Deborah Godin said...

Congratulations - to you both - and thanks for sharing a beautiful story!

Dianne said...

Happy Birthday Kerith!

good job coming so quick ;)

she is so beautiful Sylvia

robin andrea said...

She is very beautiful. Happiest of birthdays to your youngest.

Anonymous said...

happy birth day to kerith. you are very beautiful.may god bless you and fill you with all your desire of your heart.

john

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=1852075726961070292&postID=2461746105658222644&page=1

Ugich Konitari said...

Sylvia, What a wonderful daughter ! Please wish her a wonderful birthday from me. And her name is so unusual . What does it mean?

Its funny, but when i saw the photo, I actually thought she was a famous ballerina or something ....

Sylvia K said...

Ugich,
Thank you for your lovely comment, as always. I found her name in a book I was reading while I was pregnant -- the title escapes me right now, but it was the name of a woman in Israel many years ago. I never knew the meaning, but loved the name and thought it went well with our last name. Her grandmother on her father's side was names Helen and I had planned for that to be her middle name, but since she was born in Madrid we decided to give her the Spanish version of Helen, hence Elena.

Roshni said...

she is so amazingly beautiful!!

Jo said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful daughter. Thanks for sharing this beautiful post, Sylvia. Yes, even after 35 and 30 respectively I remember every details of my sons' births. (((Hugs))) Jo

Susan at Stony River said...

Wow, she's gorgeous. I hope she had a wonderful birthday, and many more to come!

Your memories made me laugh; I nearly had my third in the car because I wasn't *sure*, I hurt but I wasn't *sure*, and nearly waited too late to get there. Miserable drive; beautiful baby. I'll never forget either one!

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday to your Beautiful daughter...

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time