I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Evening, Wisdom and Beauty



In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican. ~H.L. Mencken



Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. ~Aldous Huxley



As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy



We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude. ~Cynthia Ozick



If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope



Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little. ~Edmund Burke

14 comments:

Guy D said...

YOu never disappoint Sylvia, the last pic is my favourite.

All the best
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Is there a bench around the corner in that last picture? I want to sit in that garden for a spell. Lovely.

dianasfaria.com said...

I like the last quote best. It is very reassuring to know even if I just do a little, it counts for something! Thanks Sylvia.
; )

Anonymous said...

Do you live on the water Sylvia? Do you get a lot of summer fog?

Beautiful photos.

Sujatha Bagal said...

The first one made me laugh! That is something to be grateful for! The garden picture and the one of the orange sky are awesome!

Japa said...

Beautiful words of wisdom. Beautiful shots.

Eki said...

what reflective quotes and beautiful pictures Sylvia. i like them all.

Kay said...

These are fabulous quotes, Sylvia. I sure do agree that it's easy to take things for granted. It's another wake up call to enjoy the good things in the day.

Susan at Stony River said...

I love these quotes Sylvia, and the amazing scenery--but Mencken had me ROFLMAO!!

Loran said...

I love stopping by and looking at the beautiful pictures with the wise and funny words.

clairz said...

Sylvia, these quotes are just perfect for me this morning. I loved the one about not being a Republican, especially after reading in the New York Times about the new Cheney consulting firm: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/opinion/14dowd.html?em.

Oh, my, won't they ever go away?

bobbie said...

Mencken quote cracks me up.

Deborah Godin said...

Yes, I love that last photo, too. I jsut looks like the air is full of wonderful green smells!

Michael Horvath said...

The quotes you provide inspire me, as always. You are one inspirational Diva.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time