I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Proof Reading is a Dying Art

A good friend of mine sent this to me and it is too good not to share! A dying art indeed!

Man Kills Self Before Shooting Wife and Daughter
The Editorial Room was called and asked who wrote this. It took two or three readings before the editor realized that what he was reading was impossible!!! They put in a correction the next day.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert Says
Really? Ya think?
----------------------------------------------------------

Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers
Now that's taking things a bit far!

------------------------------------------------------
Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
What a guy!
--------------------------------------------------------

Miners Refuse to Work after Death
No-good-for-nothing' lazy so-and-so's!
------------------------------------------------------

Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
See if that works any better than a fair trial!
---------------------------------------------------

War Dims Hope for Peace
I can see where it might have that effect!
---------------------------------------------------

If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last Awhile
Ya think?!
----------------------------------------------------

Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
Who would have thought!
---------------------------------------------------

Enfield ( London ) Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide
They may be on to something!
-------------------------------------------------------

Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges
You mean there's something stronger than duct tape?
------------------------------------------------------

Man Struck By Lightning: Faces Battery Charge
He probably IS the battery charge!
----------------------------------------------

New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group
Weren't they fat enough?!
-----------------------------------------------

Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft
That's what he gets for eating those beans!
---------------- --------------------------
Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
Do they taste like chicken?
****************************************

Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half
Chainsaw Massacre all over again!
*******************************************

Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors
Boy, are they tall!
****************************************

And the winner is....
Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead

Did I read that right?
***************************************************

14 comments:

Martha Z said...

Love these, Sylvia. My Dad was a printer at the LA Times back in the days when they cared about such things.

Of a slightly different vein in our local paper was the head "Patriots to city, $100,000 or less". They were referring to the tea baggers, of course. I e-mailed the paper they should use the full name of the party in quotes, I don't think these people are patriots and to shorten the name in this manner is inappropriate. I will admit to being biased, newspapers shouldn't be.

abb said...

Giggling here :)

Kay said...

These are great! Thank you for my morning giggle!

Anonymous said...

LOL...these are just too funny. So clever. Have a great Friday my friend :)

L. Neusiedler said...

hehehe, funny :))

Nessa said...

Very funny. I blame it on texting.

Flash 55 - Help?

robin andrea said...

I love these, sylvia! I once had a job proofreading student performance evaluations written by faculty at a large university. Everyday, my team and I had a contest to find the most syntactically incorrect, most inane, most meaningless sentences of the day. We were highly entertained by the abundance of contestants!

Roshni said...

terrific, as usual!
@Robin..you should totally blog about it!

bobbie said...

Sylvia, these are the best!!

George said...

Thanks for the chuckles.

chrome3d said...

That´s why the distant cars start to speed up when I´m jaywalking on a quiet street. It´s not just in my imagination...

Jo said...

I LOVE these, Sylvia. I'm always on the lookout for errors like these and have come across many while writing for our provincial paper! Hope you're having a wonderful weekend. (((Hugs))) Jo

jabblog said...

Wonderful! Sadly, this lack of understanding happens all the time . . . whatever happened to READING and COMPREHENSION? Sacrificed to SATs and league tables, for all they mean . . . (sorry, off the hobby-horse now . . . )

Anonymous said...

hillarious! 8D thank you very much 4 sharing. had many conversations over subject matter with this associate editor i know. if 1 studies 1's own language in university for years som1 else might thing they're good at it. apparently not.

and sorry 'bout my spenglish, it ain't my native. and did not study it in uni. u have a great weekend!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time