I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, October 20, 2008

A Carry Over from My Other Blog

This was my last post on my other blog before it died on me, so for a little continuity, I thought I'd post it here in the new one, plus I had so many lovely comments, I wanted to add them as well.

Pick Your Color --Gray or Black?

From gray to blackest black, all the news stories this weekend really offered very few bright threads, but we have to take them where we find them. It is increasingly obvious that the whole country – news media included have one hope and that is that this election is over soon and that the candidate who offers the most hope for the future wins by an unquestionable margin.

One of the brightest threads of the weekend was Colin Powell’s endorsement of Obama on “Meet The Press”. One of the darker tales was the story of A.I.G., the insurance giant bailed out by taxpayers for $123 billion. Just when we thought they had finally been shamed into stopping their post-bailout spa treatments, luxury sports suites, Vegas and California post resort retreats, it was discovered much to our amazement, that some A.I.G. execs were cavorting at a lavish shooting party at a British country manor. Check out Maureen Dowd’s Op-Ed piece to read about the undercover reporter who followed the “feckless financiers on their $86,000 partridge hunt as they tromped through the countryside in tweed knickers, and then later as they slurped fine wine and feasted on pigeon breast and halibut.” Dowd says that these days she’s feeling pretty much like what Charles Dickens described as the “vengeful and bloodthirsty Madame Defarge sharpening her knitting needles at the guillotine”. I can relate to that.

Then, how about Icesave.co.uk where British citizens, municipalities and universities – including Cambridge had their savings parked? When Tom Friedman checked out the Icesave Web site he discovered the headline: “Simple, transparent and consistently high-rate online savings accounts from Icesave”, but underneath in blue letters was the following note appended: “We are not currently processing any deposit or any withdrawal requests through our Icesave Internet accounts. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our customers.” That’s more than an inconvenience – we’re talking total panic. See Tom Friedman’s column for more details.

But then there is an upside to all of this – can you believe that? A recession could actually save your life! According to Christopher Ruhm, an economist at the University of North Carolina, Greensboro, the death rates go down during economic slowdowns. Now, granted, the suicides rise but total mortality rates drop, as do deaths from heart attacks, car accidents, pneumonia and most other causes.

Some experts are skeptical. But in downturns we drive less and so car accidents decline, while less business activity means fewer job accidents and less pollution. In addition to the fact that in recessions people have more leisure time and seem to smoke less, exercise more and eat more healthily. For more good news regarding recessions see Nicholas Kristoff’s Sunday column.

However, as far as I’m concerned I have had more than enough of politics, politicians, debates, recession, and fear-mongering. There has still, it seems to me, been more bad news than good for much of the time. Let’s hope the next fifteen days hurry by and that MAYBE we can finally see the light at the end of what has seemed to be an endless eight year tunnel.

Patty - I will be glad when it is over, I think Obama will win. fingers crossed.

Deborah Godin - Thanks for another informative post! And the key words are the last two in the first paragraph - "unquestionable margin" - here's hoping!!

Patsy - I will be glad when it is over, I think Obama will win. fingers crossed.

ugich konitari -I sometimes think we suffer from "excessive-informationitis". The constant statistics, numbers, percentages, of folks living it up/suffering/being laid off/driving etc etc, probably bother us a lot more when we hear the numbers. In an age with no access to instant statistics, maybe each of us would have observed the price of groceries going up, premiums going up, the gradual change in the value of the dollar , how much more a tankful of gas costs etc, and individually taken steps on our own , to gradually tighten up and help the economy in our own way. Hopefully, all this finger pointing,cribbing,accusing etc will come to an end in another 15 days. I have watched previous US elections from afar, and looks like folks are really slugging it out a bit wildly this time. They say there is always bright daylight at the end of a long dark tunnel....ylqmbp

bobbie : Oh yes, I SO want it to be over with. Both local and federal. I never in my life put a political sign on my lawn - until this year. Now I have one for local mayor and councilman at large, in a desperate attempt to influence a few more who might pass by.So far as financial worries - I don't have any because I didn't have any money to begin with. But it has become a very interesting spectacle to watch.

Darlene
Your photo at the top of the page is stunningly beautiful, Sulvia.Like you, I read the Opinion Page of the New York Times and William Kristol's piece in this morning's edition left me totally bewildered. He was stumbling all over himself trying to justify his Republican views. I think it's getting harder for even a die hard Conservative to find anything appealing with John McCain's slimy campaign.

Rain
It's been a hard fall politically but the colors of bright orange, red, intense yellows and dropping leaves everywhere are definitely bright spots. The Northwest doesn't always get beautiful autumns because we have less maples than say the northeast, but I was out yesterday and some areas were really outstanding. Some is we haven't had the heavy rains to ruin the colors-- yet.

clairz
Ah, Sylvia, you said it all, as you so often do. When I can't stand to worry about this election for another single moment, I work on my recipe blog. So frivolous of me. However, I am focusing today on Colin Powell's comments. At last, AT LAST, someone has spoken (and most eloquently) about our nation's growing Islamophobia. I will spend the rest of my day hoping that his words take root. It's better than worrying about the voting machines in West Virginia that are
switching Democrats' votes to Republican ones.

Deborah Godin
Thanks for another informative post! And the key words are the last two in the first paragraph - "unquestionable margin" - here's hoping!!

1 comment:

June Saville said...

Here's another comment to add to your list Sylvia:
Colin Powell also made my day! If there was a need of something to tip the balance that could have done it!
June in Oz

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time