I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Evening Words, Wisdom and Beauty


I'm frequently asked if I don't hate being so far from my three other children and say they wonder why we don't visit more frequently as two to three years between visits is not unusual. Actually, I don't hate it because I never feel separated from any of them, and of course, with the internet we can stay in very close touch. But it's more than that. I urged them to follow their dreams, not to feel they were tied to any particular location or that they in anyway owed it to me to live nearby. Adam did move me to Seattle two years ago, but it was a move that simply worked for both of us. I guess what all of this evening jabber is about is the fact that distance doesn't lessen the love that we feel for those we are separated from -- for whatever reasons. The love is always there.

A friend who is far away is sometimes much nearer than one who is at hand. Is not the mountain far more awe-inspiring and more clearly visible to one passing through the valley than to those who inhabit the mountain?
Kahlil Gibran

Everything comes to us that belongs to us if we create the capacity to receive it.
Rabindranath Tagore

10 comments:

Sara Chapman in Seattle said...

Very beautiful photo. I clicked to enlarge and enjoyed the subtle tones of the boat's wake on the surface. Thanks for posting.

Linda Reeder said...

I have family far away, but we can share almost daily through phone, and internet. We feel we are a part of our grandchildren's lives all of the time. We are also fortunate to be able to travel to see them fairly often.

hitch writer said...

lovely picture ! its so soothing !

BLOGitse said...

'The love is always there.'
So true...we and our two sons live in 3 different countries...
We have a very good, warm and close relationship between us...

Susan at Stony River said...

Such a lovely photo to go with the words--and to those, AMEN! Some of the people I love most in the world live so far away; but they're always with me inside, and when we're together again it's as if we never separated.

bobbie said...

This is so true. I actually feel closer to my girls who live at a great distance, and we do keep in close touch. The California contingent is visiting right now. Last time was almost a year ago.

clairz said...

Well, here we are in New Mexico with kids in California and New York. You're right, we are so lucky to have the Internet. I guess I've given up thinking they might move closer someday...

However, I am having the best time writing a blog together with my son (Recipes for Ben). I get to read about his culinary adventures in New York City and he gets to reminisce about our meals when he was a child. I'd highly recommend the team blog idea!

Unknown said...

I'm with you, distance isn't an issue. Nice post Sylvia. I love the photo very much.

George said...

I like your words of wisdom as well as those of Kahil Gibran. And the picture is absolutely beautiful.

Poonam J said...

Loved this post complete with pictures and words. You are so right when u say..Actually, I don't hate it because I never feel separated from any of them, and of course, with the internet we can stay in very close touch. But it's more than that. I urged them to follow their dreams, not to feel they were tied to any particular location or that they in anyway owed it to me to live nearby.........I understand this so well.I have two children who are settled in Toronto and we moved back to India...They are as much with me as we are them. Distance in kms. is all we have, not distance in hearts....yes love is always there. Loved this post.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time