I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Lessons from the Rain


If you click on this shot you will see the tiny raindrops clinging to every limb and twig on this red maple tree in our backyard. They taught me a really lovely lesson yesterday.

As all of you know, I've spent a lot of time and words and space grumbling about the cold, the gray skies and the endless rain. But yesterday I was reminded of a lesson that I thought I had learned a long time ago -- obviosly, I had forgotten it. As I was having some lunch and staring out at the steady rain, something caught my eye, something different and something beautiful. As soon as it slacked off a little, I grabbed the camera and went out to see if I could catch what I had seen.

There was no wind yesterday -- amazing in itself -- and the raindrops were sparkling like diamonds on every twig, every new budding leaf, every limb! It was breathtaking! I suddenly realized -- again, that there is beauty to be found everywhere if you just take the time to look for and at it. There is color and beauty even in a rainy day, in the shades of gray and shapes of the clouds, the sparkle of the raindrops -- it's all about opening your eyes and looking for it. You can always find what you are looking for -- the problem is we sometimes just look for the dark, the sad, the maddening and when that happens we need to change our focus. And the beauty in nature isn't all that we have. There is the beauty of music, of beautiful words and thoughts that you can enjoy any day.

I can't promise never to complain about the weather again -- I'll probably never be that enlightened, but I will take another look before I start the long whine.


Can you find some unexpected beauty in your life today?

13 comments:

Wear Your Wild said...

Beautiful photos! We're going on day 5 0r 6 of rain and for the sake of my newly planted vegetable seeds, I keep wanting it to stop. But then I think back to last summer, during the height of our drought when the Earth was dry and cracking open and I honestly can not complain about the excess of rain.

Frankie Anon said...

Lovely image, beautiful words! Thank you for an uplifting post!

Susan at Stony River said...

What a lovely photo! I get the impression the tree has put on her diamonds to celebrate Spring's arrival. (I like to think so anyhow--we've waited so long it does feel like an occasion!)

Words to live by, too. Thanks!

Great Grandma Lin said...

I found some beauty from enlarging your photos and being amazed for the jewels of light everywhere. Good post needed for rainy and bright sunny days with no moisture. Thanks

The Retired One said...

Absolutely true!!
Thanks for the reminder and for the lovely photos!

Mari Meehan said...

You. But then that's not unexpected!

Anonymous said...

Sylvia, I believe that it is love that gets us through the day. If we love who we are and what we do, we will always be happy.

To my family and friends: I love you!

ViennaDaily said...

the weather is yet untamed :D Beautiful photo to go with wonderful thoughts, enjoy the week!

June Saville said...

That's it Sylvia. The more you look, the more you see. Nature at its best.
june in Oz

Chrissy said...

Beautiful shots and a great post.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Linda Pendleton said...

Nice pictures. Beauty is always there if only we take time....

magiceye said...

beautiful post with lovely images

robin andrea said...

Yes! I remember those sparkling lights on the trees when we lived in Washington. There's something about the way those raindrops shine that makes everything beautiful. A wonderful reminder.

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time