I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Saturday, May 9, 2009


Before I was a Mom,
I never tripped over toys
or forgot words to a lullaby.
I didn't worry whether or not
my plants were poisonous.
I never thought about immunizations.

Before I was a Mom,
I had never been puked on.
Pooped on.
Chewed on.
Peed on.
I had complete control of my mind
and my thoughts.
I slept all night.

Before I was a Mom,
I never held down a screaming child
so doctors could do tests.
Or give shots.
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night
watching a baby sleep.

Before I was a Mom,
I never held a sleeping baby just because
I didn't want to put her down.
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces
when I couldn't stop the hurt.
I never knew that something so small
could affect my life so much.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
I never knew I would love being a Mom.

Before I was a Mom,
I didn't know the feeling of
having my heart outside my body..
I didn't know how special it could feel
to feed a hungry baby.
I didn't know that bond
between a mother and her child.
I didn't know that something so small
could make me feel so important and happy.

Before I was a Mom,
I had never gotten up in the middle of the night
every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay.
I had never known the warmth,
the joy,
the love,
the heartache,
the wonderment
or the satisfaction of being a Mom.
I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much,
before I was a Mom ..

If you would like to read an incredible tribute to an incredible, awesome Mother, check out Arija's post for Mother's Day. Just click on her name. I've never read anything more amazing and heartrending and beautiful.

17 comments:

Martha Z said...

Very moving and I sure can relate. Thanks

Great Grandma Lin said...

so true...

chrome3d said...

You never know until you go through it. Happy mother´s day.

MonikaRose said...

Hello, how well written, so true, though I am not a mother, yet...
Beautiful...have a fantastic Mother's Day...MonikaORse :)

Kay said...

This is a beautiful, so true poem. I popped on over to Arija's blog! Wow! What an incredible mom. Have a great day tomorrow, Sylvia.

Lilly said...

Happy Mothers Day to you Sylvia. Take Care. Loved the poem.

Arija said...

Sylvia, what a wonderful summary of motherhood, thank you for everything, your post, your comment on mine, for linking me to yours, and above all, for being my friend.

wispy willow said...

And aren't we all pleased that the words to this lovely poem are as true as thy are. Motherhood is such a gift!

bobbie said...

Happy Mothers Day Sylvia.

I will follow the link.

Deborah Godin said...

Thanks for sharing the beautiful words and the link, too! Have a Happy Day!

Dianne said...

wonderful words Sylvia
Happy Mother's Day

dianasfaria.com said...

this is great! Happy Mother's day!
I will go check it out.

Cindy said...

Beautifully said!

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Paz

PJ said...

Love, love, love the poem - wearing your heart outside your body. A perfect description of motherhood.

magiceye said...

touching....
beautiful....

Joy said...

So true!!!

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time