I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Monday, May 4, 2009

That's My World -- Hell's Canyon and the Snake River

Time again to share your world! That's My World is hosted every Tuesday by Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise. Click here to sign up join the fun and show us what you love about your world!



The Snake River and Hell's Canyon can be found in Washington and Oregon, but also Idaho. They "snake" their way through a lot of the northwest.


The name "Snake" possibly derived from an S-shaped (snake) sign which the Shoshone Indians made with their hands to mimic swimming salmon.
Variant names of the river have included: Great Snake River, Lewis Fork, Lewis River, Mad River, Saptin River, Shoshone River, and Yam-pah-pa.
Early inhabitants



People have been living along the Snake River for at least 11,000 years.


The HELLS CANYON area was once home to the NEZ PERCE and the SHOSHONE tribes. There is still evidence today of the people of long ago all along the rivers edge.

Today boaters can explore the canyon's many archaeological sites and old homesteads.


The SNAKE RIVER is said to have gotten it's name from the first white explorers who misinterpreted the Shoshone people who identified themselves in sign language by moving their hands in a snake-like motion...But instead of referring to a snake, they were saying that they lived near the river.



Other cultures of the Snake River's basin's protohistoric and historic periods include the Nez Perce, Cayuse, Walla Walla, Palus, Bannock, and many others.



Exploration

The Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1804-1806 was the first major U.S. exploration of the lower portion of the Snake River, and the Snake was once known as the Lewis River. Later American exploratory expeditions, which explored much of the length of the Snake River, included the Astor Expedition of 1810-1812, John C. Frémont in 1832, and Benjamin Bonneville in 1833-1834. The British North West Company and, after 1821, Hudson's Bay Company sent large trapping and trading expeditions to the upper Snake River and its tributaries. These annual expeditions began in 1817 and continued for about 30 years. They ranged widely throughout today's southern Idaho, western Wyoming, and northern Utah, in the process exploring the region. Many of the rivers and mountains have French names, reflecting the employment of French-Canadian voyageur by the British companies. The policy of the Hudson's Bay Company's was to deplete the region of fur bearing animals as quickly as possible, so as to make it impossible for American traders to operate there. This goal was largely successful. American traders could not compete in the Snake River country. In contrast, the Hudson's Bay Company found the Snake River expeditions very profitable.



By the middle 19th century, the Oregon Trail had been established, generally following much of the Snake River.

The Snake River has become a favorite place for white water rafting as well as scenic canoe trips. Hell's Canyon is the deepest canyon in the US.

27 comments:

wispy willow said...

I'd say you have a lot to love about your nesting spot on our planet.

The commentary is as interesting to read as the photos are lovely to look at.

This is a fun idea. I won't join in. I don't get around much without client's in my car this time of year... but, I will enjoy what you and others contribute.
Is that being a tad selfish? hmmmm... maybe I need to think about this. Nah. I'm too old to be looking for reasons to feel guilty. I think I'll just bask in your talents and let it go.

Chris said...

Thank you for todays blog. Lovely pictures and the history is very interesting. Are those wild flowers, if so I'm envious.

JC said...

Great info. Thanks.

Great Grandma Lin said...

fun we just went by this area. would like to explore it more.

Vagabonde said...

Lovely pictures and the text is also very interesting. I’d love to see the scenery live some time.

Martha Z said...

Oh, that's so beautiful. I'd love to raft down that river but it is not something Hubby would enjoy and I don't like to leave him. I guess I just go via photos.

Susan at Stony River said...

What a beautiful place, and I love the history. Our rivers are so tame (lame!) compared to the wild whitewater you have out there--I loved these photographs.

Ugich Konitari said...

This was such a great and informative trip thru your lovely land .......

Roshni said...

wow! Specially love the rock carving!

Dr.John said...

I love the pictures and the information is always good.

Deborah Godin said...

Love the photos and the story of that area. And, have you seen the PBS show on Lewis and Clark? It's terrific (Ken Burns).

Jane Hards Photography said...

This is one beautiful chunk of world.
I agree with Susan, our rivers are a little sedate here. So much to do too. Fabulous energetic post.

The Retired One said...

Gorgeous photos of a beautiful area!!

Anonymous said...

Fascinating post. The photos are wonderful too.

SandyCarlson said...

That's a fabulous place to be!

Carver said...

What a beautiful place and such an interesting post. I'd love to go there sometime. Beautiful part of the country!

Anonymous said...

Great info again - my list of places to see when I visit the Pacific North West is growing ever longer!

Lew said...

The rivers of the northwest are magnificent! You have posted beautiful images of and great info about the Snake.

magiceye said...

this is a wonderful post, as usual!
so informative embellished byu magnificent images!

Anonymous said...

I would love to raft that beautiful, scenic river someday!

Indrani said...

Interesting read. A lovely presentation with beautiful pictures of your world.

antigoni said...

Amazing place, awesome photos.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Sylvia: What a really neat place to show from your world.

Anonymous said...

your history of the most beautiful snake river was perfect and the photographs wonderful to view. thank you for putting together this wonderful entry.

maryt/theteach said...

Sylvia, thanks for the lesson on the Snake River and Hell's Canyon, truly beautiful places in the American West! You're lucky! :)

storyteller said...

Oh my ... you make me want to visit your part of the world again. Looking at your photos brings back many wonderful memories ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

kRiZcPEc said...

wow, these are all great shots. Thanks for showing this Hell's canyon.
Belated compliments :)

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time