I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Devote This Day to Laughter!


I learned of this from Indrani on her blog, I Share
Isn't this a wonderful idea? Here are just a few of the benefits from an article by
Elvie Punzalan-Estavillo
Laughter yoga: No laughing matter
Message sent: Participants do the mobile laughter.

MANILA, Philippines – A Laughter Yoga session was held recently at the Golds’ Gym in Glorietta 3, Makati City. About 50 persons attended the event to quench their curiosity as to what it was all about. Among them were Medicard EVP Luis Montoya, his wife, and staff members; Dr. Winnie Pernia and two colleagues from the Philippine Society of Pathologists.

At the start, some participants worried they may not be able to laugh, so I told them to just open their minds, drop their inhibitions, relax, and be ready to laugh, as there are warm-up exercises to make them laugh like they had never laughed before.

Unlike watching a comic movie or reading a funny story where the mind still has to process what it is watching or reading before a person can laugh (or sometimes the person is simply not in the mood to laugh), in laughter yoga, laughter serves as a body exercise that can therefore be done regardless of the person’s mood. In fact, it sets the person the right, positive, happy mood. A person need not be happy to be able to laugh — for basically, laughter yoga is to laugh for no reason at all.

A person can, with regular practice, train the body and mind to laugh at will and make laughter second nature.

In this hi-tech, fast-paced, dizzying world, most people are so busy that they almost have no time to exercise. Stanford University’s Dr. William Fry has proven that 10 minutes of laughing heartily is equivalent to 30 minutes of cardio-pulmonary endurance workout on a rowing machine.

Laughter yoga is a unique well-being workout that combines fun and easy-to-do aerobic exercise with physiological and emotional benefits and stress reduction such as:

• No postures, no skills to learn, or special clothes or equipment required.

• Provides a fast, powerful, no-sweat cardiovascular workout

• Reduces stress level quickly by as much as 75 percent or more.

• Blood pressure and pulse rate drop as blood circulation improves.

• The lungs are well exercised and cleansed of stale residual air.

• Healthier deep breathing is learned and adopted.

• The blood and major organs get fully oxygenated, leaving one bursting with energy.

• Hearty laughter improves mood within minutes by releasing endorphins, the body’s natural pain killers, and mood enhancer.

• Lifts depression — even chronic depression may be cured.

• Boosts self-confidence, creativity, and improves a person’s communication skills.

Made fully aware of the multi-dimensional healthful benefits that laughter yoga brings about, the highly motivated and challenged participants gave their all. Everyone gamely and actively participated.

16 comments:

Dianne said...

I have often felt physically better when laughing so I know it works

and I also find joy in making other people laugh

Great Grandma Lin said...

Wow, I'll vote for laughter over exercise anyday. I have a husband with a dry sense of humor so there's always some reason to laugh everyday. interesting post.

Deborah Godin said...

Ah, I'm not surprised at all by the benefits!

Susan at Stony River said...

Laughter really is the best medicine--I want to try this! I must admit I'd feel a bit goofy doing it in front of others in a class, but at home, why not? (beats vacuuming!)

Thanks for a gem, Sylvia!

bobbie said...

GREAT idea!

Sucharita Sarkar said...

Laughing always makes me feel lighter in spirit, but you have given the analysis of why it is indeed the best medicine.

Mari Meehan said...

I need to find classes in laughter yoga around here! I know how a good belly laugh releases tension as well as a good cry and is a whole lot more pleasant!

wispy willow said...

Have you ever noticed how little laughter there is in movies and on the old "boob tube"? Even the comedies are droll...the audience is expected to laugh, but it's unusual that any of the actors do. It's just so rare to see someone really laughing.

Yoga laughter ought to be taught in the Schools of Performing Arts. I say that as an old drama major. I do know that laughing is one of the hardest things to do on cue, on stage. But, I'd like to see more of it on the screen... whether the screen is in a theater or in my living room.

I miss Red Skelton. He enjoyed himself so much... you'd just find yourself enjoying him, enjoying himself...laughing at him, laughing at himself.

That's probably the thing that held Wayne and I together through our tough times. We laugh at one another every day. He's just very witty and he thinks I'm funny and there is a lot of chuckling in our home.

Great post, Sylvia.

Peggy said...

I love to laugh and reading your blog makes me laugh often,
Laughing does make any load lighter that's for sure.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Wow, I'm stunned--thats about the best idea I've heard of ... Now if I can just make myself do it...
Thanks
Becky

Frankie Anon said...

One reason I love Frink, the love of my life, is his big, huge guffaw of a laugh. Silly movies, cartoons, the comics, the cats, whatever. I'll be upstairs and hear him laughing at something and it carries through the whole house and makes me smile. Laughter is good!

Indrani said...

You have compiled the positives of laughter yoga so well. Thanks for the link.:)

david mcmahon said...

Laughter has a special place in my life, Sylvia.

Lew said...

I recommend 30 minutes of old Johnny Carson bits from the Tonight Show. Also Tim Conway and Harvey Korman outtakes from the Carol Burnett show always get me laughing.

maryt/theteach said...

Bwahahahahahaha! Thanks, Sylvia! :)

storyteller said...

I love this! I shared a video and some funny stories at Small Reflections Wednesday ... and wish I'd included a link to THIS! Perhaps I'll edit the post to included it when time permits. Thanks so much for sharing the info and the links ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time