I miss you Sam!!

I miss you Sam!!
I miss you Sam!!

Friday, July 3, 2009

Evening Wisdom, Nature, Beauty



If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen.
Henry David Thoreau



Man has been endowed with reason, with the power to create, so that he can add to what he's been given. But up to now he hasn't been a creator, only a destroyer. Forests keep disappearing, rivers dry up, wild life's become extinct, the climate's ruined and the land grows poorer and uglier every day. [Uncle Vanya, 1897]
Anton Chekhov



To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves.
Mohandas K. Gandhi



The least movement is of importance to all nature. The entire ocean is affected by a pebble.
Blaise Pascal



To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
Helen Keller

11 comments:

KB said...

Beautiful shots. Love the second one especially.

Anonymous said...

What wonderfully serene photos!

Kay said...

Oh Wow! I especially love that last photo of the silhoette of trees.

bowledover said...

You have matched the quotes so well with each picture, to maximise the effect of words. Wonderful and thank you. I will reflect on these thoughts and wonderful pictures.

Anya said...

Amazing shots :)
Have a nice weekend !!

nsiyer said...

Lovely pictures and insights

Deborah Godin said...

I feel so refreshed and renewed after seeing these amazing photos. What a beautiful world!

airplane5312 said...

Very nice photos!

Carolyn said...

Sylvia, these are such beautiful photos and the quotes...they take my breath away. Thank you for these.
Blessings and smiles and happy 4th of July!

Viola said...

Beautiful beach! There I would like to go :)

Susan at Stony River said...

Wonderful words Sylvia, and beautiful photos! Suddenly I need a walk on the beach...

What Can I Say?

What Can I Say?
I'm interested in almost everything. Use to like to travel, but it's too expensive now. I take Tai Chi classes, swim, volunteer in a Jump-start program for pre-schoolers. I'm an avid reader and like nearly everyone these days I follow politics avidly. I'm a former teacher and Special Projects Coordinator for a Telecommunications company, Assistant to the President of a Japanese silicon wafer manufacturing company. Am now enjoying retirement -- most of the time. I have two daughters, one son-in-law and two sons scattered all over the country. No grandchildren.

Portland Time